Joe Burgess looking "sharp as anything" ahead of Wigan Warriors return

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Joe Burgess looking "sharp as anything" ahead of Wigan Warriors return

Post by josie andrews »

Joe Burgess is looking razor sharp and primed for a big role in Wigan’s surge towards the play-offs.

That’s the prediction of Adrian Lam as he prepares his side for Sunday’s trip to Wakefield.

Burgess missed out on Wigan’s most recent game, a 20-6 victory against Warrington, as he nursed minor injuries.

Late-season recruit Bevan French took one of the wing spots with Liam Marshall on the other flank.

Lam has yet to decide whether to bring Burgess back in the frame this week or consider him for the following game, at home to Catalans on September 6.

But either way he believes the 24-year-old – who has scored 100 tries for the club in 110 matches – can help them cement their place in the top-three, after a dip in form by his own standards.

Lam said: “I talked to Joe before the Warrington game and he was 50-50.

“I thought, with a week off for the Challenge Cup straight after, rather than risk him, we’d play Bevan and give Budgie the opportunity to be 100 per cent fit for this week or next week.

He’s been carrying injuries and it’s tough to find form when you’re worried about your knee, your shoulder, your pec... that was the benefit of him having the week off against Warrington, because it gave him a break to get himself right.

“He’s come back to training looking sharp as anything – so I’m looking forward to seeing what he can offer us.”

Ben Flower return from a back injury has been cut short by a knee problem, while Sean O’Loughlin (Achilles) is also ruled unavailable.

Wigan are third in the table but level on points with the Wolves, who face Salford tomorrow, as well as Hull FC.

For Super League it’s great to have so many teams fighting at this stage of the season,” said Lam.

“Every team is in the mix and if they’re not, they’re in the battle at the other end.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/joe-bu ... -1-9960132
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Re: Joe Burgess looking "sharp as anything" ahead of Wigan Warriors return

Post by Caboosegg »

Nothing against budgie but French needs to play, he has that unknown factor to teams which should help us going into the play offs.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:51 pm Nothing against budgie but French needs to play, he has that unknown factor to teams which should help us going into the play offs.
have a feeling it will be marshall who makes way
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
bertina

Post by bertina »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:06 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:51 pm Nothing against budgie but French needs to play, he has that unknown factor to teams which should help us going into the play offs.
You may be right, but it shouldn’t be.
Based on form Marshall has performed better than Burgess for weeks.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

bertina wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:38 pm

I agree that Marshall has outplayed budgie for a while now but think a couple of games off might do him so good. Too get him fully fit as he always seems to have his legs strapped up like he’s carrying an injury
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Barney841 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:40 pm

I agree that Marshall has outplayed budgie for a while now but think a couple of games off might do him so good. Too get him fully fit as he always seems to have his legs strapped up like he’s carrying an injury
I totally agree i dont think Marshy has ever let us down but i think its out of style to have a small winger because its perceived they are a weak link for bombs
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Agreed,

Marshall has barely put s foot wrong while Burgess has barely put one foot in front of each other for weeks
doc

Post by doc »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:14 am Joe Burgess is looking razor sharp and primed for a big role in Wigan’s surge towards the play-offs.

That’s the prediction of Adrian Lam as he prepares his side for Sunday’s trip to Wakefield.

Burgess missed out on Wigan’s most recent game, a 20-6 victory against Warrington, as he nursed minor injuries.

Late-season recruit Bevan French took one of the wing spots with Liam Marshall on the other flank.

Lam has yet to decide whether to bring Burgess back in the frame this week or consider him for the following game, at home to Catalans on September 6.

But either way he believes the 24-year-old – who has scored 100 tries for the club in 110 matches – can help them cement their place in the top-three, after a dip in form by his own standards.

Lam said: “I talked to Joe before the Warrington game and he was 50-50.

“I thought, with a week off for the Challenge Cup straight after, rather than risk him, we’d play Bevan and give Budgie the opportunity to be 100 per cent fit for this week or next week.

He’s been carrying injuries and it’s tough to find form when you’re worried about your knee, your shoulder, your pec... that was the benefit of him having the week off against Warrington, because it gave him a break to get himself right.

“He’s come back to training looking sharp as anything – so I’m looking forward to seeing what he can offer us.”

Ben Flower return from a back injury has been cut short by a knee problem, while Sean O’Loughlin (Achilles) is also ruled unavailable.

Wigan are third in the table but level on points with the Wolves, who face Salford tomorrow, as well as Hull FC.

For Super League it’s great to have so many teams fighting at this stage of the season,” said Lam.

“Every team is in the mix and if they’re not, they’re in the battle at the other end.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/joe-bu ... -1-9960132
I thought that Lockers was out because he had a pec injury, or has he picked up another?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I see no harm in giving Marshall a week off and playing Burgess if he is fit and ready to go, but it would be harsh to dump him long-term, on form or effort.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Burgess has been rubbish in attack and defence and does not deserve to walk back into the side for such an important game. It was a mistake to give him an extra year. His only motivation is to get out of wigan again as soon as he can, based on a falsely exaggerated view of his own talent.