Warriors win away at Trinity

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Warriors win away at Trinity

Post by josie andrews »

MATCH REPORT as Wigan Warriors beat Wakefield Trinity at the Mobile Rocket Stadium

Three tries from Liam Marshall help Wigan to crucial away win

FT: Wakefield Trinity 16-24 Wigan Warriors

A Liam Marshall hat-trick lead Wigan Warriors to an important away victory over Wakefield Trinity at the Mobile Rocket Stadium on Sunday.

The win takes Adrian Lam’s side to second place in the Betfred Super League table with two games left of the regular season.

Both sides found the conditions difficult in the opening 20 minutes as heavy rain battered the Mobile Rocket Stadium.

However, it was Wigan’s Liam Marshall who made the breakthrough in the 20th minute, pouncing on a loose Trinity ball and running home from over 80 metres to score in the right corner. Zak Hardaker added the extras to give Wigan a 0-6 advantage.

Marshall added his second of the game just seven minutes later thanks to an excellent George Williams pass, cutting out two men in the Wigan right edge to find the winger who touched down in the right hand corner. Zak Hardaker failed to add the extras.

Wakefield grabbed their first points of the game through James Batchelor in the 31st. A crafty grubber kick 10 metres out from Jake Miller found the second row in enough space to touch down. Danny Brough converted to take Wakefield within a try of the Warriors.

Hardaker added a penalty to the tally in the 37th, taking the points to 12-6.

Wakefield grabbed a late try via Jake Miller. Brough again converted to draw the scores level at the break.

Marshall completed his hat trick in the 58th minute, taking a 20-metre tap and go and running straight down the middle of the Wakefield defence to score another eye-catching try. Hardaker added the extras to put Wigan six ahead with 20 minutes to play.

Wakefield hit back with their first of the second half through Ben Jones Bishop in the 68th. Wigan loanee Morgan Escare found the Wakefield winger with a grubber to score in the corner. Danny Brough failed to add the extras.

Sam Powell put the game out of reach in the last minute of the game, diving over from a couple of metres out to secure the win for Wigan. Hardaker added the extras.

Wakefield Trinity: Morgan Escare, Ben Jones-Bishop, Reece Lynne, Bill Tupou, Ryan Hampshire, Jacob Miller, Danny Brough, Anthony England, Kyle Wood, Craig Kopczak, Danny Kirmond, James Batchelor, Kelepi Tanginoa.

Interchanges: Tyler Randell, Chris Annakin, Chris Green, Adam Tangata.

Tries: Batchelor (31’), Miller (40’) Jones-Bishop (68’)

Conversions: Brough (2/3)

Penalties:

Wigan Warriors: Zak Hardaker, Liam Marshall, Dan Sarginson, Oliver Gildart, Joe Burgess, George Williams, Tommy Leuluai, Tony Clubb, Sam Powell, Ollie Partington, Willie Isa, Liam Farrell, Morgan Smithies

Interchanges: Bevan French, Joe Greenwood, Liam Byrne, Romain Navarrete

Tries: Marshall (20’, 27’, 58’), Powell (80’)

Conversions: Hardaker (3/4)

Penalties: Hardaker (37’)

image: https://www.wiganwarriors.com/admin/res ... c-h500.jpg

image: https://www.wiganwarriors.com/admin/res ... b-h500.jpg

Match action from Wakefield vs Wigan.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... O2Qyt8e.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Re: Warriors win away at Trinity

Post by Firestarter »

Just on way back missus driving( im over limit lol)...... hard fought win...... they scored two scrappy tries and wigan made hard work of it....... ref totally lost the plot and completely ruined the game.........weather spoiled first 30 but wigans defence was the difference...... clubby showed up well as did marshy and powell....... my mom was hardaker who was solid as a rock and is surely pushing for player of season.........cant believe marshys two long rangers was while i was on toilet lol.......cmon wigan we can win the big one
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

What was Burgess like
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Didnt do out wrong but didnt get much ball to be fair
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

medlocke wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:49 pm What was Burgess like
Didn’t do much but didn’t get much of the ball to be fair,the ref not good I can see why the Wakey crowd got upset at Marshall’s second and where he tapped from,seen them called back before now.

Was bleed cold first half with a bit of driving rain for good measure so not a classic by any means
bertina

Post by bertina »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:57 pm
Didn’t do much but didn’t get much of the ball to be fair,the ref not good I can see why the Wakey crowd got upset at Marshall’s second and where he tapped from,seen them called back before now.

Was bleed cold first half with a bit of driving rain for good measure so not a classic by any means
Crap conditions, crap ref, scrappy game.
Hardaker MOM by a mile.
5th tackle options terrible.
Williams had a shocker. As happens too often, when it’s hard going he goes missing.
2 points at a ground where we always struggle. 2 home games to come.
Roll on Old Trafford. 👍👍🏉🏉
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

bertina wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:50 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:57 pm

[/quote
Crap conditions, crap ref, scrappy game.
Hardaker MOM by a mile.
5th tackle options terrible.
Williams had a shocker. As happens too often, when it’s hard going he goes missing.
2 points at a ground where we always struggle. 2 home games to come.
Roll on Old Trafford. 👍👍🏉🏉
Yea Hardaker MOM for me too he just gets better each game
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Outstanding resilience: Lam

Adrian Lam reacts to Wigan’s away victory over Wakefield Trinity

“I think the resilience we showed in the back end of the second half was outstanding.” Lam

FT: Wakefield Trinity 16-24 Wigan Warriors

Wigan Warriors Head Coach Adrian Lam described the performance of hat-trick hero Liam Marshall as ‘outstanding’ following the 16-24 away win to Wakefield on Sunday.

The Mobile Rocket Stadium hasn’t been a happy hunting ground for the Cherry & Whites in recent years. Because of recent history, Lam explained how the victory was even more important.

“It was pretty tough. We haven’t had much joy here in the past. I think the resilience we showed in the back end of the second half was outstanding.

“It’s always good to get the big margins but that’s never going to happen here. However, for the amount of ball they had I think we defended really well in those periods and that won us the game.”

Jubilant scenes in the Wigan ranks were clear for all to see after Sam Powell’s last minute try and Lam explained the importance of their celebrations.

“If you see everyone in there celebrating after the Powell try right at the end; I think they understand the importance of that win.”

Conditions were testing in parts of the game, with heavy showers lashing down on the Mobile Rocket Stadium. Because of this, Lam detailed how impressed he was with his players’ dealing with the situation.

It was torrential rain for about 15 minutes but it cleared up pretty quickly. That’s rugby in England [he joked]. That’s what made Marshall’s three tries some of the best you’ll see all year. He was outstanding today, he certainly brought the A-game.

“Our middles were too, they played long minutes which is what I wanted them to do, particularly with big games coming up in the next few weeks.”

Wigan are back in action on Friday 6th September when they’ll host Catalans Dragons at the DW Stadium. With the next game in less than a week’s time, the Head Coach said his side will have to quickly adjust to the next task at hand.

“We’ve got a short turn around this week so we’ve got to wipe our shoes off and get straight back into it.”

The 49 year-old also provided an update on the condition of Liam Marshall, who was substituted late in the second half.

“He just strained his hamstring at the end there. I’m not surprised with the rate of knots he got up to for those tries, but his substitution was just precautionary. We will see how he is and give him every chance to be ok for Friday. “

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... wKgbrh.99
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Southport steve

Post by Southport steve »

Just watched the highlights and for the life of me I can’t see them touching down for their first and third tries !
The ref had an absolute shocker today
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Didn't see the third try at the game but their first was definitely a no try!

Edit* Just watched the highlights & from the those highlights looked like Jones-Bishop's try was in touch

Yes Marshy's try from the quick tap shouldn't have been allowed, but you play to the whistle, & if it had been brought back, it would have been a penalty to us because their number 12 was offside