Play-offs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Play-offs

Post by nathan_rugby »

If the league finished as it was now, how would the play offs look in terms of who would play who and who would potentially play who? Right through to the final.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Play-offs

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Week 1
Game 1 Wigan v Wire
Game 2 Salford v FC

Week 2
Game 3 Saints v Winner Game 1
Game 4 loser Game 1 v Winner Game 2

Week 3
Game 5 Loser Game 3 v Winner Game 4

Week 4
GF

Week 5
Hangovers and victory parade through Wigan

This system guarantees that Saints will have 2 go’s, if they need them, at home, to get to OT. If we finish second, we get 2 go’s. We could, if we lose our first game, then get 2 home games to get to OT (if Saints get there at their first attempt), assuming that the higher finishing team always plays at home (which I have not checked). For what it’s worth, I think Salford will swap places with Wire, and we will beat them, lose at Saints and then win our home game (probably against Salford again...). Which would mean our last 4 fixtures could be Salford, Saints, Salford, Saints. Not a happy proposition if you have a lisp.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Thank you.

So the benefit of finishing 1st, 2nd and 3rd is that you get 2 attempts and the benefit of finishing higher is that the highest team gets the home game.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Yes to the first and I think so for the second.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:11 pm Week 1
Game 1 Wigan v Wire
Game 2 Salford v FC

Week 2
Game 3 Saints v Winner Game 1
Game 4 loser Game 1 v Winner Game 2

Week 3
Game 5 Loser Game 3 v Winner Game 4

Week 4
GF

Week 5
Hangovers and victory parade through Wigan

This system guarantees that Saints will have 2 go’s, if they need them, at home, to get to OT. If we finish second, we get 2 go’s. We could, if we lose our first game, then get 2 home games to get to OT (if Saints get there at their first attempt), assuming that the higher finishing team always plays at home (which I have not checked). For what it’s worth, I think Salford will swap places with Wire, and we will beat them, lose at Saints and then win our home game (probably against Salford again...). Which would mean our last 4 fixtures could be Salford, Saints, Salford, Saints. Not a happy proposition if you have a lisp.
Always preferred that set up. Was never a fan of the super 8s
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Still a little complicated though isn't it but looks to give the team finishing top the most advantage whilst also giving advantage to 2nd and 3rd, where as 4th and 5th do not get any advantages.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Would prefer a top three! First straight through to final, second v third for the other place.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:51 am Would prefer a top three! First straight through to final, second v third for the other place.
Agreed

Looking at that I feel I have to wear a white lab coat it’s so complicated,the pudding as they say has been overegged
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:00 am
josie andrews wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:51 am Would prefer a top three! First straight through to final, second v third for the other place.
Agreed

Looking at that I feel I have to wear a white lab coat it’s so complicated,the pudding as they say has been overegged
I read it out four times yesterday & still couldn't get my head round it 🤪
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

There are a few ways of looking at it... we have 3 routes to OT.
The easiest route:
If we finish second we get a home game v 3rd.
Win that and we play Saints.
Win that and we go to OT.
Win that and all is well.

If we win our first game (against salford I reckon) but lose our second against Saints we get to play the 3/4/5th team. Win that and we play the loser of the Saints/Salford game and win that off to OT we go.

If we lose our first game, we play the 4/5 team. Win that, and we play the loser of the Saints/Salford game again.

In this system we have to play Saints at some point to be champions.