Play-offs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Play-offs

Post by Caboosegg »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:57 am There are a few ways of looking at it... we have 3 routes to OT.
The easiest route:
If we finish second we get a home game v 3rd.
Win that and we play Saints.
Win that and we go to OT.
Win that and all is well.

So wait from what youve posted.

Its very unlikely 1st and 2nd would meet at the GF

That seems like a major flaw if the top two teams play each other in the build up.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:29 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:57 am There are a few ways of looking at it... we have 3 routes to OT.
The easiest route:
If we finish second we get a home game v 3rd.
Win that and we play Saints.
Win that and we go to OT.
Win that and all is well.

So wait from what youve posted.

Its very unlikely 1st and 2nd would meet at the GF

That seems like a major flaw if the top two teams play each other in the build up.
No, it's still possible as it is not sudden death in the 2nd v 3rd game. The loser of that plays the winner of 4th v 5th (loser of 4th v 5th is eliminated) in the next round of playoff games at the same time the winner plays 1st.

So if we lost 2nd v 3rd but then won v the winner of 4th v 5th, we then play the loser of 1st v 3rd for another chance to get to the final.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am not doing a great job of explaining this am I? It is very likely that first will play second, as they both get 2 lives and to play at home against lower placed sides. If, say we beat Salford and then Saints, Saints will have another home game to get to OT. If I recall correctly, 1st v 2nd is by far the most common outcome from top 5 play offs.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The other thing to remember is in each round only one team is eliminated.

First week/round it is the loser of 4 v 5. Loser of 2nd v 3rd gets another life (and 1st does not play in the first week).

Second week, winner of 4 v 5 plays loser of 2nd v 3rd and the loser of this game is the team eliminated. Meanwhile 1st is playing the winner of 2nd v 3rd but the loser of this fixture gets another life.

The last round of the playoffs sees three teams left in the competition. The one already at Old Trafford and the two others that remain and so obviously the loser of the game between those two is the one team eliminated this week.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:11 am
fozzieskem wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:00 am
josie andrews wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:51 am Would prefer a top three! First straight through to final, second v third for the other place.
Agreed

Looking at that I feel I have to wear a white lab coat it’s so complicated,the pudding as they say has been overegged
I read it out four times yesterday & still couldn't get my head round it 🤪

Try this, Josie - it's how I understand it:

You start with 5 teams and lose 1 team each week through to the GF.
If there's an odd number of teams (5 or 3 in this case), the top one gets a rest. The others pair up with the team above or below them, with the higher team at home.

So,

First week: (5 teams, numbered 1 to 5 as per league position)
1 has week off
2 v 3
4 v 5 (loser drops out)

Second week: (4 teams, numbered 1 to 4 in league order)
1 v 2
3 v 4 (loser drops out)

Third week: (3 teams, numbered 1 to 3 in league order)
1 as week off
2 v 3 (loser drops out)

Fourth week: (GF)

1 v 2

:roll: or :x or :D ?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Best system by far because each league place higher has an advantage.

Also to win from 5th you have to beat all 4 teams above you in a row. No avoiding anyone.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I agree with mike...... miles better than the top 4
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE