Shaun Edwards says Wigan Warriors better off with Adrian Lam - and backs them for Grand Final glory

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Shaun Edwards says Wigan Warriors better off with Adrian Lam - and backs them for Grand Final glory

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Edwards has revealed his decision to turn his back on Wigan hit him hard – but he says the Warriors are better off without him under the guidance of Adrian Lam.

And in a candid interview, Edwards revealed he has become "close friends" with Lam - and has tipped him to lead them to Grand Final glory next month

Wigan legend Edwards, the most decorated player in rugby league history, will leave his role as defence coach of Wales after the World Cup in Japan.

In August of last year Wigan unveiled Edwards as their head coach for 2020, but the 52-year-old made a U-turn and pulled out of the deal last March.

Lam has since turned around the Warriors' fortunes and been handed a deal for next year.

“It was difficult with Wigan. Very difficult. It’s probably better off left unsaid. I am looking to the future now,” said Edwards as he opened up on his next steps for the first time since March.

“Lammy and I are still close friends and message each other after matches.

“He said Wigan would struggle at the start of the season with Zak Hardaker and all those new players coming in, but by the end of the season they would be OK.

“I said Wigan needed a more experienced rugby league coach than me and I was right – they are now doing well.

"I will be staying in union, Lammy takes over at Wigan, and it’s all good.

“There is no negative in my view. I stay in rugby union which I’m used to and Lammy is an experienced rugby league coach who is doing a fantastic job.

"I think Wigan will win Super League again this year. It would be the first time Wigan have gone back-to-back too and I think they’ll do it.”

Edwards won 25 major trophies in a glittering Wigan spell, but his next move after Wales is set to be with France. The deal is yet to officially be confirmed, but it is understood to be close.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/shaun- ... -1-9970691
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Shaun Edwards says Wigan Warriors better off with Adrian Lam - and backs them for Grand Final glory

Post by fozzieskem »

I said on Facebook ebook we dodged a bullet with Edwards not coming I feel and said at the time it would end in tears he simply doesn’t have any experience in RL and he admitted as much.

If I could criticise him is he simply should have said no from the start but no doubt the silver fox Lenegan silver tongue was very persuasive.

It has hampered Lam this season the shadow of Edwards cast long in those early months for Lammy and as soon as it became clear he wasn’t coming Adrian seemed to relax in the job.

Has Edwards tarnished his legacy? Not for me I’d im honest with hindsight I think he got caught up in the romance of it all and we are all guilty of that at times
AndyNick

Re: Shaun Edwards says Wigan Warriors better off with Adrian Lam - and backs them for Grand Final glory

Post by AndyNick »

I don't think anyone came out of the Edwards saga with any credit. The club were made to look rather foolish in the way that they conducted business, and Edwards conduct was poor.

That said I don't think it is any coincidence that once the whole thing was put to bed that the performances on the pitch improved significantly. Just a little bit of stability made a massive difference.

Sadly the whole affair has left a very bitter taste with regards to Shaun Edwards. I'm sure that there will be some fans who will not forgive him for the way in which he essentially used us to get himself a pay rise. That said he is still a club legend and it must not be forgotten that he achieved great things in a Cherry and White jersey. I hope that going forward a line can be drawn and he can be welcomed as a guest at the club again in the future.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Nice try Shaun. There's the door.

The fact that we may or may not be better off without him is irrelevant.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Didn't he used to play for us?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

He treated us with complete contempt. No mention in this pathetic piece that he told his union chums long before he told us. He couldn’t care less about anyone not called Edwards.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Bit of a shoddy way of covering self if you ask me.
I was over the moon when he got announced as the new Wigan coach(risky or not) as he was a Wigan legend and one of the best players I’ve seen.
He will always have a legacy at the club but he has marred it slightly with how he treated the club and how he went about it.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Barney841 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:18 pm Bit of a shoddy way of covering self if you ask me.
I was over the moon when he got announced as the new Wigan coach(risky or not) as he was a Wigan legend and one of the best players I’ve seen.
He will always have a legacy at the club but he has marred it significantly with how he treated the club and how he went about it.
Corrected.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Wintergreen wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:04 pm
Barney841 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:18 pm Bit of a shoddy way of covering self if you ask me.
He will always have a legacy at the club but he has marred it significantly with how he treated the club and how he went about it.
Corrected.
In my mental list of former players, he's gone from top 10, premier division, to Highland League reserves alongside players like Paul Koloi and Doc Murray, even the odd A N Other and S O Else. (Apologies to Highland League reserves.)
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Why is he bringing it back up! Just keep quiet!
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame