Wigan Warriors boss Adrian Lam hopes Zak Hardaker's GB snub wasn't because of his past issues

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors boss Adrian Lam hopes Zak Hardaker's GB snub wasn't because of his past issues

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam hopes Zak Hardaker’s past hasn’t counted against him after the Wigan full-back was left out of the Great Britain training squad.

The former Leeds and Castleford ace has revived his career with the Warriors this season, following a doping suspension and then a drink-driving conviction.

Yet despite his strong form, he was left out of a provisional 29-man panel for the Lions tour next month.

Lam “totally” thought Hardaker warranted selection and, asked whether historic off-field issues may have been a factor in the decision, the Wigan coach replied: “I hope not.

“I don’t know what they’ve talked about, but he’s been one of our best and I think one of Super League’s best this season – and I think his best is to come.

“It’s their opinion, but I don’t think it’s right that Zak is not in that group at all.

“When you look at the rest of the squad... I think he should be there, without a doubt.”

As well as Hardaker’s omission, Lam was also surprised forward Liam Farrell was overlooked.

National coach Wayne Bennett – who had Lam as his assistant coach at St George-Illawarra – and selectors Paul Sculthorpe, Paul Wellens, Paul Anderson, Danny Ward and Ian Watson picked a squad of 29 Super League-based players.

And with Bennett saying there is still time for players to force their way into the frame, Lam hopes both may be on the trip Down Under later this year.

“I’m sure they’ll sort it out by the end of the year, you’d hope so,” said Lam.

“They’ve been two of the best players in Super League over the back-end of the season so... I’m sure the selectors will get that right when it counts. I hope they include both Zak and Faz at the end of the year.”

Wigan trio Sean O’Loughlin, George Williams and Oliver Gildart were included.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan- ... -1-9976494
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Wigan Warriors boss Adrian Lam hopes Zak Hardaker's GB snub wasn't because of his past issues

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

He should be in the squad, enough said.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
medlocke

Re: Wigan Warriors boss Adrian Lam hopes Zak Hardaker's GB snub wasn't because of his past issues

Post by medlocke »

I wonder how many crap Saints players are in there
moto748

Post by moto748 »

medlocke wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:00 pm I wonder how many crap Saints players are in there
Let me Google that for you... :evil:

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5E06EF42
moto748

Post by moto748 »

So, five (arguably) full-backs in there (Tomkins, Latchford, Shaul, Lomax, Coote), but no room for Hardaker?

On the other hand, with my "fewer Wigan players in the squad the better" hat on, things looks quite rosy!
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Yet O’Loughlin is in! Mental!
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

It is probably the reason hes left out, cant be trusted as hes a serial offender and thats his fault.I have no sympathy for him
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Adrian has to say this, and I am glad he did, but it has to be a factor. I am not sure such a stressful trip would be ideal for someone who is looking to keep his life turned around in any case. Farrell is of course worth a place on his SL form, but I agree that he is too small to cause the opposition enough problems down under.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:26 pm Adrian has to say this, and I am glad he did, but it has to be a factor. I am not sure such a stressful trip would be ideal for someone who is looking to keep his life turned around in any case. Farrell is of course worth a place on his SL form, but I agree that he is too small to cause the opposition enough problems down under.
Who are you agreeing with on Farrell? Nobody in this thread says he’s too small. He’s a better second rower than any other named in that squad.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
moto748

Post by moto748 »

And he has stood up well to Aussie opposition in the past, Faz is a class act and ought to be in the squad.