Recruitment/Retention Drive For 2021

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Recruitment/Retention Drive For 2021

Post by nathan_rugby »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:00 am So what you are saying is that he has already reached his potential? His strike rate is still outstanding but maybe we have seen the best of Budgie, next season will be crucial.
I think so but cannot tell you why.

I just cannot work out how he was so good before NRL and also at Souths but in the 3 years he has been back. He looks a shadow of his former self.

Probably a combination of his injuries taking a toll, possibly bulking up too much and something linked to confidence or attitude maybe? The unforced errors are a mystery.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Difficult to say about Joe Burgess. At one time our left side was scoring tries for fun but then the opposition were loading up their right defence to stop that. With French now on the right scoring and Marshall before him the opposition's option to stack up their right defence has been stopped. William's try was due to the Cas defence not being structured where he beat men one stood behind the other.

As for the £ sterling I do think it will go up at the end of the year and quickly. Once the date of the GE is known and polling data is published then the £ will rise very quickly. According to the financial pages the markets are a lot more bullish now "No Deal" has been legislated out with the subsequent rise in the £. The club's ability then to recruit from the NRL will be helped as well as our chances of retaining former NRL players.

We have some brilliant signings coming in who will strengthen the squad as well as the reserves who will lessen the impact of injuries and suspensions. The reserves will also provide competition for places in the first team squad. Things are looking very good for next season alright but our prospects for this year are also looking far better than most of us (including me) imagined they would be.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

By definition, no-one knows what will happen to the pound next week or next year. Any known information or speculation is taken into account, minute-by-minute, by traders.

When No Deal looked more likely early this month, it dropped to around $1.20. As I write it's $1.24. It responds to events, so saying "If we leave with No Deal it will drop" or ""If No Deal is blocked it will go up" is equivalent to saying "If it goes up it goes up, and if it goes down it goes down".

Insofar as anyone knows what will happen, it will have been taken into account already. The markets know more than we do.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I like that. I shouldn’t have mentioned it, save that it was on my list of things that might make us better able to retain NRL talent.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Can we leave politics & brexit to the off topic forum please?

Thank you
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Need to get rid of R Navarette after last night's performance never improved at all
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

pearsy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:38 pm Need to get rid of R Navarette after last night's performance never improved at all
With you on this one, We should offload and bring in Albert Vete
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:49 pm Can we leave politics & brexit to the off topic forum please?

Thank you
Sorry Josie. Wasn't making a political point, but relating to us affording NRL players.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:00 pm
josie andrews wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:49 pm Can we leave politics & brexit to the off topic forum please?

Thank you
Sorry Josie. Wasn't making a political point, but relating to us affording NRL players.
Your weren’t the only one, there were political posts made earlier in the thread 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Navarette was really poor last night, but to be fair, he has generally been decent lately.