George Williams v Jacob Trueman

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: George Williams v Jacob Trueman

Post by Mike »

old hooker wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:23 am
Woody1989 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:05 pm
old hooker wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:02 pm Stats mean nothing, you can make them read whatever you wish so this is a pointless comparison.
This is a pretty daft statement. The stats are pretty much the only constant in our game and you can't 'make them read whatever you wish', you can interprept them differently (which I think is probably what you mean?) but the numbers themselves don't lie.

There are certain things you can't easily quantify (influence, organisational ability and leadership on the pitch for instance) but stats like the ones presented are a pretty good measure of what's going on.
Yes you can make them whatever you wish, simple as that.
So we lost the last GF? I guess you *can* make the final score whatever you like. :lol:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Mike wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:58 pm

This is a pretty daft statement. The stats are pretty much the only constant in our game and you can't 'make them read whatever you wish', you can interprept them differently (which I think is probably what you mean?) but the numbers themselves don't lie.

There are certain things you can't easily quantify (influence, organisational ability and leadership on the pitch for instance) but stats like the ones presented are a pretty good measure of what's going on.
So we lost the last GF? I guess you *can* make the final score whatever you like. :lol:
dont be ridiculous
Flash

Post by Flash »

old hooker wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:02 pm Stats mean nothing, you can make them read whatever you wish so this is a pointless comparison.

So, for clarity and to avoid arguing about opinion or abstract concepts, please explain how you make, for example, 14 tries mean anything other than 14 tries?
SJ

Post by SJ »

old hooker wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:37 am

dont be ridiculous

Be charitable OH It's something he's really good at😎Viz being rediculous
satistically speaking that is.
Last edited by SJ on Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

SJ wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:18 pm

dont be ridiculous

Another "there's no such thing as facts" poster backing you up here. :lol:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Flash wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:45 am

So, for clarity and to avoid arguing about opinion or abstract concepts, please explain how you make, for example, 14 tries mean anything other than 14 tries?
Oh they definitely won't explain their opinion. We're in a world where an opinion is just as valid as a fact and justifications are unnecessary.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
SJ

Post by SJ »

Mike wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:27 pm
SJ wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:18 pm

dont be ridiculous

Another "there's no such thing as facts" poster backing you up here. :lol:
I'm not surprised
. It's an opinion not a fact
SJ

Post by SJ »

14 tries = 14 tries each try scored in very. differen circumstances etc,therefore their. Comparisons are not like for like so not = so to speak
Flash

Post by Flash »

SJ wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:12 pm

14 tries = 14 tries each try scored in very. differen circumstances etc,therefore their. Comparisons are not like for like so not = so to speak
And who is the arbiter of the relative strength of those tries? (if such a concept actually exists). Is George beating 3 or 4 players to score an individualistic try better or worse than Trueman backing up a break by another player to put the ball over the line and, more importantly, how do the statistics help you prove one or the other?

I'll answer for you if I may; they don't. The statistics say George has scored 14 tries. That's all it says. It can't be made to say anything different.

In other words, when people say 'statistics can prove anything' what they're actually saying is 'I can believe what I want, despite the statistics' just as you did above. That is not the same thing. Not even close.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Flash wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:20 pm
SJ wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:12 pm
And who is the arbiter of the relative strength of those tries? (if such a concept actually exists). Is George beating 3 or 4 players to score an individualistic try better or worse than Trueman backing up a break by another player to put the ball over the line and, more importantly, how do the statistics help you prove one or the other?

I'll answer for you if I may; they don't. The statistics say George has scored 14 tries. That's all it says. It can't be made to say anything different.

In other words, when people say 'statistics can prove anything' what they're actually saying is 'I can believe what I want, despite the statistics' just as you did above. That is not the same thing. Not even close.
100%
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐