Morgan Smithies named Rookie of the Year

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Morgan Smithies named Rookie of the Year

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors forward Morgan Smithies has become this season’s Albert Goldthorpe Rookie of the Year, beating off the challenge of five other candidates – Alex Walker of London Broncos, Ratu Naulago of Hull FC, Jack Welsby of St Helens, Joey Lussick of Salford Red Devils and Harry Newman of Leeds Rhinos – who were shortlisted in last week’s League Express to win the solid silver medal and a cash prize of £500.

Smithies, 18, made his debut off the bench for the Warriors in Round 8 of Super League against Catalans Dragons at the DW Stadium. And he has been a virtual ever-present since then, making 21 Super League appearances in all.

Smithies shone in last season’s Academy Test series against Australia. He was allocated squad number 38 by Wigan for 2019, suggesting that he was not expected to make many appearances for the first team.

But since making his debut he has consistently shone, much to the delight of Wigan Chairman Ian Lenagan.

“I don’t think there is any doubt that at the start of the season we would not have expected Morgan to play 20 games,” Lenagan told League Express.

“We signed him from Siddal a couple of years ago. He came to prominence playing for England against Australia and since then the way he has stood up to the big teams in Super League is quite remarkable.

“I’ve watched him week after week, and it’s that extra two metres he always makes at the end of the charge that is very special. The way he makes that extra distance is superb.

“He has made an enormous number of tackles and has missed very few, while he hasn’t been over faced when opposing great players like Thompson and Walmsley. He has always stood up in those situations.”

https://www.totalrl.com/morgan-smithies ... -the-year/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Re: Morgan Smithies named Rookie of the Year

Post by Firestarter »

Good lad been massively impressed with him....... hope he makes the 13 shirt his own next season
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Firestarter wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:02 pm Good lad been massively impressed with him....... hope he makes the 13 shirt his own next season
I'd consider giving him a GB spot.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

widdenoldboy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:05 pm
Firestarter wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:02 pm Good lad been massively impressed with him....... hope he makes the 13 shirt his own next season
Calm your jets.
Happy for Morgan and well deserved but let’s have settle him into the starting 13 first and get some more experience
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

An indicator of how important someone is is when they’re not in the lineup and you think “oh shhhi”... it’s now apparent for Smithies. What a Rise!

Next captain??
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Well deserved
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Barney841 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:26 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:05 pm
Calm your jets.
Happy for Morgan and well deserved but let’s have settle him into the starting 13 first and get some more experience
A GB Tour would be great experience :D
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:45 pm
But since making his debut he has consistently shone, much to the delight of Wigan Chairman Ian Lenagan.

“I’ve watched him week after week, and it’s that extra two metres he always makes at the end of the charge that is very special. The way he makes that extra distance is superb.

https://www.totalrl.com/morgan-smithies ... -the-year/
I remember Wane being disappointed at Hamlin for doing the same when he first joined us.
(Sorry for making it look like I am quoting you, Josie. I'm crap with computers)
Last edited by The booze hound on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Well deserved. In a year of good young players coming through he's been the standout.