Man of Steel

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Man of Steel

Post by josie andrews »

Was told earlier today but had to wait until it was announced.

@George7Williams is named as one of the 5️⃣ @StevePrescott1 Man of Steel contenders!

👏 Congratulations, George!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Man of Steel

Post by josie andrews »

Williams in Man of Steel Shortlist

Wigan Warriors stand-off George Williams is one of five players named in the shortlist for the 2019 Steve Prescott Man of Steel award.

Five players are in contention to win the 2019 Man of Steel award. Here is the shortlist:

Blake Austin (Warrington Wolves)

Lachlan Coote (St Helens)

Jackson Hastings (Salford Red Devils)

Liam Watts (Castleford Tigers)

George Williams (Wigan Warriors)

The winner will be announced at the Betfred Super League Awards at the Lowry Theatre, Salford Quays, on October 6.

A panel of expert judges, led by Ellery Hanley MBE, have been awarding points to the top three performers in every Betfred Super League game this season.

When voting ‘went dark’ after round 22 – ie when scores for individual performances stopped being published – Austin and Hastings were tied for the lead.

But strong displays from a number of players in the closing stages of the season has left a stellar list of names in the hunt for the sport’s biggest individual accolade.

Hanley, the only player to win three Man of Steel awards, said: “The panellists have been lucky to have witnessed first-hand some exceptional performances this season.

“I have often watched games back before awarding points at the matches I’ve been judging and that has helped me appreciate even more the range of skill and determination of so many players.

“The five guys in contention have been pivotal to their team’s success this season and for that they deserve recognition.

“But only one person can win and we look forward to finding out who that is at the Super League Awards next month.”

Wigan forward Morgan Smithies is also in contention for an award on the evening. Smithies was named in the shortlist for the Young Player of the Year Award. Learn more HERE.

Book your tickets to the Betfred Super League Awards HERE.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... p4Fi171.99
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:14 pm Was told earlier today but had to wait until it was announced.

@George7Williams is named as one of the 5️⃣ @StevePrescott1 Man of Steel contenders!

👏 Congratulations, George!
Now you have lit the blue touch paper Josie. Isn’t it interesting that some posters believe he is useless yet the likes of Hanley and his crew together with Wane, Lam, Stuart and Bennett think he is the real deal.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Up until a couple of weeks they published the results each week didn’t they and Austin and (soon to be)Wigan’s Jackson Hastings we’re running away with it albeit in a neck and neck race..so do they forget that now or is it still all counted over the weeks?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:31 pm Up until a couple of weeks they published the results each week didn’t they and Austin and (soon to be)Wigan’s Jackson Hastings we’re running away with it albeit in a neck and neck race..so do they forget that now or is it still all counted over the weeks?
It carries on Fozzie but the results aren’t disclosed &, I think they carry on to the last game before the Grand Final, but don’t quote me on the last bit 😊
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:00 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:31 pm Up until a couple of weeks they published the results each week didn’t they and Austin and (soon to be)Wigan’s Jackson Hastings we’re running away with it albeit in a neck and neck race..so do they forget that now or is it still all counted over the weeks?
It carries on Fozzie but the results aren’t disclosed &, I think they carry on to the last game before the Grand Final, but don’t quote me on the last bit 😊
Thanks for that Josie,I thought that was how it was but wasn’t sure :D
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Yeah that's spot on Josie and Fozzie, exact same model as in the NRL.

A blackout in the last few rounds to motivate the leaders to carry on impressing.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Jackson Hastings it’ll be.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Good to see 2 Wigan players in final 5 :P
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Yeah, rubbish that Williams and the sooner he's gone the better, eh!! He'll take some replacing in both attack and defence and we'll miss him. Hastings is good - and he'll need to be. I also think, and hope, George will be a success in the NRL too.