TONIGHTS GAME

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: TONIGHTS GAME

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:45 pm The job got down it was as said,an ok performqnce nothing more though,Byrne has to start though at some point he was like everyone else ok.

Powell will be a huge miss
You are right about Powell.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:43 pm What a shocking turnout from so called fans
11,000 on last week, 9,000 this, no way.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
doc

Post by doc »

Check out the match stats on the SL website. Smithies made 72 tackles. A phenomenal effort.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Defence was solid, attack was poor.

Halves didn’t combine, no decoy runners and space created.

Forwards running solo

Terrible kicking all night.

French’s pace is electric!
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Tommy had a poor game with ball in hand and liam's Farrell had an unusually off day.
Put French in the halfs move Tommy to hooker . We'll turn up next week I'm not worried about that .
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Was Smithies being accused of gouging on Hastings near the end of the game,couldn't really tell in the stadium may have been clearer on the box.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

It was always likely to be a close and hard fought game. Quite often these games hinge on moments of unforced errors or lucky calls with both teams being fairly well matched.

Our pack still worries me. If you look at the metres our forwards were making there was only Farrell really making ground. We're lucky to have outside backs who are so good at making hard yards but I thought we really missed Sarginson in that respect. He's worth just as much as another forward with the metres he makes whereas Hankinson is solid and will run hard at a gap but his work rate isn't there and he's less effective.

Starting Byrne was the right choice really given we were a bit short on actual props. Byrne's strength at the moment is his stamina and I think it's better to bring on just one prop after 20-25 minutes rather than 2. He can play long minutes without tiring so it made sense to make the most of that early on when our defence is usually very tight. We did miss Partington though. His aggressive defence and work rate can often help us

Salford's pack, particularly Dudson, Jones and Griffin, were much more effective with ball in hand and next week against Saints will be another step up from that. We defended well at times and really hung on but against Saints just constantly trying to hold them out under sustained pressure won't work.

Obviously our defence is our strength. I believe Smithies' 72 tackles is a new Super League record which is just a staggering achievement. It's also good that we've got Ben Flower back. He's always busy and effective in defence and got some much needed game to get him back to full fitness.

Our attack needs to be sharper against Saints though and that's where the worry lies. Powell will be a huge miss (who thought that would be the case early in the season?). I'm not sure about Williams going to hooker. His best attributes are wasted there and he's such a threat on our left edge. Leuluai seemed like the obvious choice since he's equally good at hooker but I understand he's crucial to our right edge, especially in defence, and looks to control the game.

French didn't look like a natural in the halves. He did look threatening when running the ball but it seemed like all he wanted to do. We scored following one of his few pass attempts but it was a shocker that we got lucky from. Our last tackle plays also went to pot when he was there. Maybe it just need some tweaking but I don't think he's had enough time with the squad to fit into that role.

I'm genuinely hoping Lam considers Smith or Bourouh for next week as bench options, assuming Sammut us still injured.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Barney841 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:25 am Wasn’t the best attacking display, defence was fantastic.
Thought lockers offered nothing, but of a passenger really
All SOL did all night when on was argue with Hicks as per usual . He really needs get over this fixation with Hicks . He's not going to win and it just gives Hicks an excuse to penalise us .

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:22 pm Our attack looked hopeless and at times clueless. Passes to men stood still all night. Excellent defence Hastings try apart. Thought Lam showed disrespect to Salford by starting with Byrne. With it looking like there'll be no Powell next week then he's got to start with a front row of Flower Tommy and Clubb. The six point win was due to their dreadful mistake in offloading five yards from their own line with Tommy grounding the loose ball. We had the fastest man on the field in French when Salford were out on their feet and we played him at dummy half. Explain that someone please!

Lam, Winder and Peet have a massive job on their hands to get that squad sorted for next Friday.
I thought George played dummy half
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I didnt think the ref(or vid ref) had very good games..........hicks totally bottled the tomkins trip and the obvious sin binning after marshy had intercepted late on.........there man was a country mile offside from that and stopped a probable try imo.....in Salford's defence I thought Tommy Defo knocked on for his try and wigan were lucky not to get penalized for ball stealing late on...........the consistency stinks and hicks is quickly becoming my least favourite ref.........I always get the opinion that he only gives us pens on the first or second tackle and never late in the count......... maybe lockers in his ear doesn't help at times
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE