Sam Powell injury fears after Wigan Warriors' play-offs win

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Sam Powell injury fears after Wigan Warriors' play-offs win

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan's 18-12 win against Salford came at a cost with hooker Sam Powell suffering a suspected fractured wrist.

The hooker will have the injury scanned over the weekend but the early indications are he could miss the remaining matches of this season, starting with the trip to St Helens on Friday.

“I think he has fractured his wrist, so it doesn’t look good," said Adrian Lam. "We will have a look how his injury comes up on the X-rays but Sam never comes off the field. He has played 80 minutes in nearly every game this year.

“I asked him to go 10 minutes in the second half but he couldn’t, so I think it is going to be a long-term injury.

“He is going to be a big loss for us. He is a great leader and he has been one of our most improved players of the year and I just hope there are just some sort of luck in the results (of the scans)."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/sam-po ... 1-10008758
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jaws1

Re: Sam Powell injury fears after Wigan Warriors' play-offs win

Post by jaws1 »

Powell has made a massive improvement under Lam and will be missed he was always good in defense and can play 80 mins .His attaching style has vastly improved all Wayne had him do was pass from dummy half opposition teams knew that but now you don't know what he is going to do its like he has been given a new lease of life.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

What are Wigan Warriors' options if Sam Powell is ruled out through injury?

Adrian Lam spent the weekend assessing his hooker options in case Sam Powell is ruled out with a wrist injury.

The hooker missed the second-half of Friday's 18-12 win against Salford amid fears he suffered a fractured wrist.

If scans confirm their worst fears and he misses Friday's clash at St Helens, Lam will have a big decision to make - and he has a few possibilities.

George Williams covered at dummy-half against Salford, with versatile Bevan French operating at stand-off. Lam could start the pair in those positions.

Halfback Thomas Leuluai is also comfortable at No.9 and could switch - with Lam then having the option of using French on the right-side halfback spot.

Or, instead, he may recall Jake Shorrocks or Jarrod Sammut after recovering from injuries and either use one at half-back, or on the bench. Shorrocks warmed-up with the players last Friday while Aussie Sammut is expected to be fit for this weekend.

Alternatively, Lam could bring in academy hooker Amir Bourouh as a direct replacement for Powell.

The teenager made his Super League debut earlier this season and scored a try in Friday's Under-19s Grand Final win.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/what-a ... 1-10009639
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Tommy to move to 9, bring in Sammut IMO

Or is it worth risking bringing in a like for like hooker in Amir Borough? Big game? Young player?

Hard decisions for Lammy this week 😐
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Agree with Josie, Tommy to 9 and Sammut to 7.
Might need Shorrocks or Borough on the bench as Tommy rarely does 80 when playing 9.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I’d be tempted to throw Bourouh in me self,I just don’t think Sammut cuts the mustard against a team like saints,none of these lads have let the club down when called on.

The one good thing about this game is even if the worst happens Wigan get another go the following week,in some ways the pressure isn’t on Wigan this week so while it’s a big game it’s not as potentially as big a game as the following week.

No I wouldn’t break the half back pairing and leave well enough alone
Last edited by fozzieskem on Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Id play Tommy at 9 but in order to reduce the workload id split the pitch in 3 and say if the POTB is on the left GW acts at 9, middle TL and right JS save Tommy having to track the ball around the field
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

I’d start with our best defenders on the pitch, pack the middle of the field and make Saints go round us not through us. They score about 90% of their tries when they are in the opposition 20 following quick play the balls from their forwards.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Whatever we do, we must use French's blistering pace. It could make the difference. Might be worth having him at No 9 to make yards down the middle at the PTB.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Southern Softy wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:00 pm Whatever we do, we must use French's blistering pace. It could make the difference. Might be worth having him at No 9 to make yards down the middle at the PTB.
But he’s not a hooker & can’t provide the defence we need there!