Semi-final spot secured

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Semi-final spot secured

Post by josie andrews »

Match Report as Wigan Warriors beat Salford Red Devils 18-12 at the DW Stadium.

Adrian Lam’s side will now face St Helens at the Totally Wicked Stadium next week for a place in the Grand Final.

Tries from Gildart, Leuluai and Williams helped the Warriors on their way to the victory.

Wigan Warriors booked their place in the playoff semi-finals with a 18-12 victory over Salford Red Devils at the DW Stadium.

After going into the break level, Adrian Lam’s side fought hard in the second hard to edge themselves in front.

It was a far from an easy victory, with the visitors having good opportunities themselves, with two tries ruled out by the video ref.

The opening 20 minutes proved to be quite the arm wrestle between the two sides, with neither creating a clear-cut opportunity in the opening exchanges.

Wigan did have an early opportunity to take the lead, but Zak Hardaker failed to convert a penalty from 30 metres out in front of the sticks.

The breakthrough did eventually come in the 25th minute, as Oliver Gildart darted through the gap in the Red Devils’ defence to go over.

Hardaker was on hand to the extras, as he successfully converted from the left side to make it 6-0.

Chris Hankinson thought he had doubled Wigan’s lead, after superbly cutting inside, but the ref blew his whistle for an infringement in the build-up.

Salford came close to pulling one back, but the ball bounced agonisingly away from the fingertips of Ken Sio.

Ian Watson’s side continued to press and cause Wigan problems, as Joey Lussick had a try ruled out by the video ref after he was adjudged not to have grounded the ball.

The Red Devils did not feel downbeat for too long after that decision, as a minute later George Griffin forced his way over for a try.

With Krisnan Inu successfully adding the extras, the scores were level at the break.

11 minutes into the second half Salford thought that they had grabbed the lead, but the video refs replay showed that Sio’s foot was just in touch.

Five minutes later, it was Wigan taking the lead as Thomas Leuluai finished well to punish a Jake Bibby mistake, after the centre flicked the ball behind him.

Hardaker added the extras, to make it 12-6 after 55 minutes.

Moments later the Warriors had a third, as Joe Burgess broke free down the left side before passing the ball inside to George Williams who showed pace of his own to go over.

Just after the hour mark, Salford pulled a try back, as Jackson Hastings shrugged off the Wigan defence to go over to make it 18-12.

Tony Clubb came close to re-extending the lead but was halted by a strong challenge on the line.

The final five minutes of the game proved to be both a tough and physical test for the Warriors, as Salford heaped the pressure on the backline.

But for a series of last ditch tackles, the visitors would’ve been ahead.

Wigan Warriors: Zak Hardaker, Liam Marshall, Chris Hankinson, Oliver Gildart, Joe Burgess, George Williams, Tommy Leuluai, Tony Clubb, Sam Powell, Liam Byrne, Willie Isa, Liam Farrell, Morgan Smithies.

Interchanges: Ben Flower, Bevan French, Joe Greenwood, Sean O’Loughlin.

Tries: Gildart (25’), Leuluai (55’), Williams (57)

Conversions: Hardaker (3/3)

Penalties: Hardaker (0/1)

Salford Red Devils: Niall Evalds, Ken Sio, Kris Welham, Jake Bibby, Krisnan Inu, Tui Lolohea, Jackson Hastings, Lee Mossop, Logan Tomkins, Gil Dudson, Josh Jones, George Griffin, Tyrone McCarthy.

Interchanges: Joey Lussick, Adam Walker, Mark Flanagan, Ryan Lannon.

Tries: Griffin (37’), Hastings (61’)

Conversions: Inu (2/2)

Referee: R. Hicks. Touch Judges: M. Griffiths, R. Thompson. Video Ref: J. Child

Attendance: 9,247

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... uv786L0.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Semi-final spot secured

Post by josie andrews »

Defence was incredible: Lam

Adrian Lam reacts to Wigan’s 18-12 victory over Salford Red Devils

”Really proud of our courage and resilience.” Lam

FT | Wigan Warriors 18-12 Salford Red Devil’s

Head Coach Adrian Lam expressed delight at his side’s spirit and work ethic in the second half of their play-off tie against Salford Red Devils as Wigan secured a Semi-Final tie with St Helens.

Reacting to the victory the Warriors Head Coach said, “I’m exhausted emotionally, but just really proud of our courage and resilience. We weren’t always great with the ball, made a lot of errors and gave away a lot of penalties.

“I think our defence was incredible. We’ve been good at that for a long time now and it’s probably what’s got us back on top in the tail end of the season.”

In the second half Wigan had to face long periods without the ball, defending in their own 20 consistently. On their work ethic:

“You can’t coach that, it’s got to come from within. They kept turning up for each other. I don’t know how we stopped them at times but we did it.”

Joe Burgess created several chances on the left flank for the Warriors and even assisted George Williams’ crucial second-half try.

On his performance Lam said, “Yeah he’s been quiet of late, but he’s gotten better over the last three or four weeks, found a lot of confidence and could have even grabbed a try in the first half.”

Lam also provided an update on hooker Sam Powell who was replaced in the second half by Bevan French.

“It doesn’t look good. He’s done his wrist; it’s most likely a break. We’ve seen that a million times in the past and it didn’t look good. We will have a look over the weekend at an X-Ray to see how it is, but Sam never comes off the field. I asked him to go an extra 10 minutes in the second half and he couldn’t.”

Wigan’s win over Salford sets up a Semi-Final vs rivals and League Leader’s Shield winners St Helens next Friday.

“It’s potentially the biggest derby in Rugby League throughout the world. These are the games that everyone wants to play in. I’m getting old now but I remember my time as a player and finals times were the best times. I’m glad we’ve worked hard to get into second spot to get that home advantage tonight.”

St Helens will head into the game as favourites, having beaten Wigan three times this season. On facing Saints: “We’ve worked really hard to get here. I think Saints have been the best team all year and they will be red-hot favourites next week but we will go there with a team that we think can challenge them and see how we go.”

Lam also took the time to praise Wigan’s U19s, who won the Academy Grand Final against St Helens at the DW Stadium earlier on Friday.

“I’m really proud of them. They’ve been the best team all season by a country mile and a lot of those boys will be coming up into our squad next year. It’s been a great day for Wigan Rugby League.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... YmVjLs.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan