Starting to feel real: Williams

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Starting to feel real: Williams

Post by josie andrews »

George Williams looks back on Wigan Warriors’ 18-12 Betfred Super League Play-Off Qualifier victory over Salford Red Devils.

The stand-off says he was ‘emotional’ to score a try in what could be his last game the DW Stadium.

Williams: “It was an unbelievable effort.”

George Williams says he was ‘emotional’ to score a try in what could be his final game at the DW Stadium as Wigan Warriors beat Salford Red Devils 18-12 to reach the Betfred Super League Play-Off Semi-Final stage.

Wigan will now face St Helens at the Totally Wicked Stadium next Friday for a place in the Grand Final at Old Trafford.

And Williams admitted it had only sank in after he walked off the DW Stadium pitch that he could have played his last game at home, before he moves to the NRL in 2020.

“If all goes to plan against St Helens I won’t be playing at home again, so I was quite emotional but pretty happy to score. It has started to feel real that I may not be back here.

“I’m a massive Wigan fan and I’ve been lucky enough to play for the Club. It will always bring back happy memories and have a place in my heart, but who knows I might be back.”

Adrian Lam’s side needed to put in a strong defensive display to claim their place in the next round of the Play-Offs, as Salford pushed their opponents all the way.

“It was a tough old game in the middle,” Williams said. “Credit to Salford, they have improved massively since last year and they made us fight until the end.

“It was a typical Wigan defensive performance. It was an unbelievable effort and we hung in there and played to the whistle. I’m made up with the result but we’ve still got a big job to do.”

With a Semi-Final clash with League Leaders’ Winners and local rivals St Helens to come next week, Williams believes things will be different to the last three times the teams have met this season.

“It doesn’t get much bigger; they’ve (St Helens) been fantastic so we will expect more of the same. We’re under no illusions what the task in hand is and we have got it all to do, but I’m confident we can.

“We had won four in four prior to the last time we played them and thought we were flying, but we got pumped and it was a bit of a reality check. Since then we’ve not lost and have momentum, so we can right a few wrongs.”

Wigan Warriors will face St Helens in Semi-Final 1 of the Betfred Super League Play-Offs on Friday 27th September. After beating Salford Red Devils in the Qualifying Round on Friday night, Adrian Lam’s men will travel to the Totally Wicked Stadium for a place in the Betfred Super League Grand Final. Tickets are on sale NOW! Get yours by clicking HERE.

image: https://www.wiganwarriors.com/admin/res ... 80-1-1.jpg

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... R9GAULS.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan