Fans Forum

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Fans Forum

Post by Caboosegg »

Can we just take note of 2 major points

IL has covered the 1.4 million loss - you know the person people called cheap.

And

1000 more fans needed to break even, surely this is possible,maybe if some armchair fans turned up 😉.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

medlocke wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:15 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:28 am Great summary and a lot of it makes great reading.

Next TV deal is going to be huge, would be great to get some games on terrestrial to try and spread the word. Something needs to be changed and that is a sensible suggestion.
Lets hope the clubs get the money they deserve this time instead of the RFL siphoning off a chunk for the grass roots game, Then maybe the cap can be raised
I think they will struggle to match the last deal. That was an almighty missed opportunity. RL was in my opinion in a much better state and more attractive proposition so when the RFL simply accepted Sky's offer without asking for bids what an idiotic decision that was. Never mind the RFL's "whole game approach" siphoning money off, they didn't get enough for the game in the first place.

As to the summary of the evening posted above, much appreciated and I shall watch it on Wigan TV at some point.

One thing surprised me was the introduction of random testing and the fines. I'd have thought such testing and a regime of fines would have already been in place. With sports science being what it is these days I would have thought the monitoring of players would have spotted it before external testing did.

On the £1.4m loss as I said when it was announced I am grateful IL covered it but did he mention as the accounts do, that a reason it was so large was the failed Aussie trip? Surely a major reason he expects the losses to reduce by £1.1m is we are not doing that again. We aren't paying fringe players who will be let go a total of £1.1m!

Overall there seem some good things going on (such as the Robin Park initiative) but there is still work to do given the amateurish attempt at pre match stuff seen there earlier this season.

The one thing that is missing that I would like to have seen is IL seeking new direct investors in the club (not just more sponsorship, you take it as read clubs are always trying to increase that). The main reason I'd like to see this is not just more potential funds but with IL owning 89% of the club it really is a one man band and if he got knocked down by a bus tomorrow I am not sure what would happen to the club.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:35 am Can we just take note of 2 major points

And

1000 more fans needed to break even, surely this is possible,maybe if some armchair fans turned up 😉.
So long as you take note it was IL's fault the club incurred such a big loss in the first place. ;) Due, as the accounts state, to the failed Aussie trip. Him covering a loss he caused is not exactly something to shout about though of course I am glad he did.

As to the 1000 extra fans to break even, breaking even next year can only be due to not incurring losses on a similar failed venture again (as well as the increasing in the gate by 1000) because you don't generate £1.4m revenue a season per 1000 fans.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:28 am Great summary and a lot of it makes great reading.

Next TV deal is going to be huge, would be great to get some games on terrestrial to try and spread the word. Something needs to be changed and that is a sensible suggestion.
Money wise?

I feel it will shock fans how low it is compared to today,I’ve heard IL speak about the tv deal a few times and I think he knows it’s going to be a tough sell to tv companies,and for what it’s worth I think sky have little to no interest in the sport and maybe,just maybe are preparing to pull out,new owners dont forget I hope I’m completely wrong about that nothing will make me happier.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Lets hope the clubs get the money they deserve this time instead of the RFL siphoning off a chunk for the grass roots game, Then maybe the cap can be raised
Is grass roots rugby not important for:

- Developing the next crop of youngsters who get picked up by the pro clubs
- Take up of rugby league at schools
- Increase of fans due to more interest at schools and amateur sunday league rugby?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:35 am Can we just take note of 2 major points

And

I think Dave has a point it’ll take more than a thousand more on the gate to break even,that said a friend of my son always buys his season on finance for whatever reason that option isn’t available at present and he keeps getting robbed off by the ticket office,it’s been next week for the last 3 weeks now,I don’t think he’s going to bother going for a season ticket now and will pick and choose his games next season.

Little things like this do make it much harder than it should be.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:34 am

Is grass roots rugby not important for:

- Developing the next crop of youngsters who get picked up by the pro clubs
- Take up of rugby league at schools
- Increase of fans due to more interest at schools and amateur sunday league rugby?
The clubs made their minds up on that last season when the split happened,the RFL will get nothing of the tv deal as it’s nothing to do with them
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:54 am

And

So long as you take note it was IL's fault the club incurred such a big loss in the first place. ;) Due, as the accounts state, to the failed Aussie trip. Him covering a loss he caused is not exactly something to shout about though of course I am glad he did.

As to the 1000 extra fans to break even, breaking even next year can only be due to not incurring losses on a similar failed venture again (as well as the increasing in the gate by 1000) because you don't generate £1.4m revenue a season per 1000 fans.
Damn that IL how dare he try and find new revenue streams for the club...

Yes it failed but he didnt have to plug the gap, koucash left salford when his ventures didnt work.

Sorry DaveO but while i agree the venture was a disaster the idea behind it and sourcing new revenue was for the best for the club.

And yes the 1000 fans won't equal 1.4 million but that wasn't my point. Its a small increase to break even, if we get behind the club for a change.

A club making money is more likely to get better sponsors than one failing.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:02 am
DaveO wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:54 am

And

Damn that IL how dare he try and find new revenue streams for the club...

Yes it failed but he didnt have to plug the gap, koucash left salford when his ventures didnt work.

Sorry DaveO but while i agree the venture was a disaster the idea behind it and sourcing new revenue was for the best for the club.

And yes the 1000 fans won't equal 1.4 million but that wasn't my point. Its a small increase to break even, if we get behind the club for a change.

A club making money is more likely to get better sponsors than one failing.
While I agree with you new revenue streams have to be found,I still fail to see how that trip would benefit the club,indeed apart from the few who could afford to go it has,for me alienated a. Already dwindling fan base,I said at the time you do that at your peril.

I hope Lenegan stops trying to find non existent fans and concentrates on getting the support back at the DW,that’s going to be hard enough given it’s an aging fan base,no more pie in the aky ideas it’s now got to be first and foremost plans to get a younger fan back or indeed coming for the first time that has to be the longer term goal.

I admire most of what IL has done in his time at the club but there’s no mistaking that loss is a huge black mark against his time at the club but thankfully he’s meeting the closet and taking it on the chin and for that his stock,in my eyes at least goes up a notch or two.

And please don’t bring Koucash into this,he’s the burger king of club chairman,IL is more an aged steak man I think and I know what I prefer
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Well done Doc.Great post that makes good reading.Well done IL also ,an excellent facility.