Fans Forum

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Fans Forum

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

That makes good reading. As we are around 300k in the red this year, we would only need around 1000 extras to break even, all else being equal. One thing that interests me (and maybe the accounts will show this when I get round to reading them), is the investment in the new facilities. If he said that the 1.4m was linked to that, and that the value freed up at Orrell makes it a superb investment that would make sense. However I do my sums I can’t see how the Oz trip could have cost us over 1m, especially as the crowds themselves were perfectly respectable.

As to the TV deal, this is precisely why Elstone has been given a job. It will be what it is, and affect all SL clubs equally. I genuinely think there is no point us worrying about it in advance.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:30 pm That makes good reading. As we are around 300k in the red this year, we would only need around 1000 extras to break even, all else being equal. One thing that interests me (and maybe the accounts will show this when I get round to reading them), is the investment in the new facilities. If he said that the 1.4m was linked to that, and that the value freed up at Orrell makes it a superb investment that would make sense. However I do my sums I can’t see how the Oz trip could have cost us over 1m, especially as the crowds themselves were perfectly respectable.
The accounts clearly blame the Oz trip and do not say the loss was incurred due to Robin Park so no need to speculate it was looking for an excuse ;) The trip was a failure financially and was apparently predicated to break even if they got 40K crowd for the friendly. Total lunacy.
As to the TV deal, this is precisely why Elstone has been given a job. It will be what it is, and affect all SL clubs equally. I genuinely think there is no point us worrying about it in advance.
Well IL seems pretty concerned about it.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:02 am
DaveO wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:54 am
Caboosegg wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:35 am Can we just take note of 2 major points

IL has covered the 1.4 million loss - you know the person people called cheap.

And

1000 more fans needed to break even, surely this is possible,maybe if some armchair fans turned up 😉.
So long as you take note it was IL's fault the club incurred such a big loss in the first place. ;) Due, as the accounts state, to the failed Aussie trip. Him covering a loss he caused is not exactly something to shout about though of course I am glad he did.

As to the 1000 extra fans to break even, breaking even next year can only be due to not incurring losses on a similar failed venture again (as well as the increasing in the gate by 1000) because you don't generate £1.4m revenue a season per 1000 fans.
Damn that IL how dare he try and find new revenue streams for the club...

Yes it failed but he didnt have to plug the gap, koucash left salford when his ventures didnt work.

Sorry DaveO but while i agree the venture was a disaster the idea behind it and sourcing new revenue was for the best for the club.

And yes the 1000 fans won't equal 1.4 million but that wasn't my point. Its a small increase to break even, if we get behind the club for a change.

A club making money is more likely to get better sponsors than one failing.
Of course seeking new revenue streams is good. Just like trying to increase sponsorship is good but the idea the Oz trip was ever a good idea does not wash. They knew before they went how many bums on seats they needed and when it came in at 40K during the planning stage which surely they worked out before actually going ahead, the whole thing should have been canned then and there. It should never have seen the light of day.

And my point was it's only a small increase to break even because the club won't be incurring the loss of the Oz trip. They won't be saving much by letting low paid fringe players leave or gaining much from the extra 1000 fans.

That said it is good it will only take 1000 extra to fans to break even. What is that an average of around 11,500 or 12,000 over the season? Hopefully the new signings will go a long way to getting us there. My eldest son renewed his season ticket on the back of them and this season he's made the grand total of ONE game due to moving to Leeds and working shifts. Cost him £240 for one game.

However as the write up points out this is still quite a task because of the Sky short notice fixture change issue has a major impact on the gate and as I have said before will likely dissuade others not as daft as my son from having a season ticket.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

ST holders are 'daft'??
moto748

Post by moto748 »

moto748 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:07 pm ST holders are 'daft'??
I realise re-arranged fixtures are a PITA, especially for long-haul fans like EW, but I wonder how many are really put off buying a ST because of it? How many times a season does it happen? The cost of that couple of times or so a season could be partly recouped by ST holders' discount on jerseys etc.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

moto748 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:10 pm
moto748 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:07 pm ST holders are 'daft'??
I realise re-arranged fixtures are a PITA, especially for long-haul fans like EW, but I wonder how many are really put off buying a ST because of it? How many times a season does it happen? The cost of that couple of times or so a season could be partly recouped by ST holders' discount on jerseys etc.
One of the quiz shows on ITV recently asked the question. What percentage of the UK workforce now works Monday - Friday 9-5. The contestant got the answer wrong - it was as low as 8%

I think everyone seriously underestimates how much people chop and change their rota's at work and have to apply for shift swaps (which are usually limited) in order to make fixtures - especially when the fixtures are announced at the beginning of the season.

Yes it is fine for those unemployed or retired BUT these days a vast number of fans (Wigan fans) HAVE to rearrange fixtures around work and the late changes are almost impossible to simply explain away

I cba looking at the exact number of fixtures given at the start of the season and then counted the exact number moved for whatever reason, but I am sure it is more than just for the Castleford game
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

John McDonald will sort it never fear.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards