19-man squad vs St Helens

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Johnone

Re: 19-man squad vs St Helens

Post by Johnone »

During my time of watching WIGAN RLFC (Since 1953 ) last nights performance, particularly considering the opposition was one of the most inept & passive that I have seen from a Wigan Team. At times they stood back seemingly intimidated or was it in admiration of the Saints forwards. Both Catalans & Warrington have shown the way both to contain & beat this excellent St Helens team & that is you must pressure them, being in their faces for 80 mins from the kick off. If they are allowed the space that we where content to gift them last night there is only going to be one result. The last couple of games that i have watched this Wigan team they seem content to surrender possession, defend their own line for long periods (& very well for the previous two games) but was obvious to most that such tactics would not work against last nights opponents, the lack of a competent kicking game also hampers our efforts to gain any decent field position. What is most upsetting is that we all know that this team is much better than last nights performance .
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

DaveO wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:34 pm Warrington showed how to beat Saints in an important game. Did Lam and the players watch the video? Obviously not.
They did Dave, however our pack is not as good as Wire’s. That said and I commented on this last week, we needed to compact the middle of the field and force Saints outside of us. The last thing we should be doing is allowing a quick play the ball. Our line speed was nonexistent and as a result we gave the Saints forwards too much room to work in and their pivots too much thinking time. Rugby League is a simple game but if you watched us last night you would think not.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Johnone wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:30 pm The last couple of games that i have watched this Wigan team they seem content to surrender possession, defend their own line for long periods (& very well for the previous two games)
Said the same. At this point of the season we should be ironing out these problems yet the poor completion rate followed by mediocre kicking on the last really places the side under pressure of its own making. Not seeing any signs of this improving which does beg the question what do they actually practice in training
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

I can't understand Wigan they buy a player like French then have trouble finding a staring place .So what Iam asking is where will they play him next year? or will he be the next Escare
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

pearsy wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:37 am I can't understand Wigan they buy a player like French then have trouble finding a staring place .So what Iam asking is where will they play him next year? or will he be the next Escare
Why buy him at all really has to be the question surely?

Yes he’s exciting but he’s built for the wing and maybe fullback positions Wigan have,when got plenty of cover.

It was an odd signing to begin with as the weeks go on and clubs work out how to play him and Wigan don’t know where to play him as I say odd.

Next season let’s hope all will become clear
bertina

Post by bertina »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:32 pm Tommys kicking is terrible...... that's why we need anotger half next season imo...... hes still solid but 10-20 yard kicks are just not good enough in the big games...... it was the same v salford
Absolutely right. I’ve said on another thread our kicking game is killing us.
The opposition are constantly starting their sets on the half way line. We start ours with our arses on our try line.
bertina

Post by bertina »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:56 pm
DaveO wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:34 pm Warrington showed how to beat Saints in an important game. Did Lam and the players watch the video? Obviously not.
They did Dave, however our pack is not as good as Wire’s. That said and I commented on this last week, we needed to compact the middle of the field and force Saints outside of us. The last thing we should be doing is allowing a quick play the ball. Our line speed was nonexistent and as a result we gave the Saints forwards too much room to work in and their pivots too much thinking time. Rugby League is a simple game but if you watched us last night you would think not.
I completely agree. Why keep inviting players like Thompson and Walmsley and LMS down the middle when they are constantly getting over the gain line.?
It’s not rocket science, but we didnt seem to learn on Friday.
They never allowed us that comfort, and that’s why we couldnt get out of our own 25.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

bertina wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:53 pm
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:56 pm
I completely agree. Why keep inviting players like Thompson and Walmsley and LMS down the middle when they are constantly getting over the gain line.?
It’s not rocket science, but we didnt seem to learn on Friday.
They never allowed us that comfort, and that’s why we couldnt get out of our own 25.
The fact that LMS was allowed to do anything but have his face rubbed in the pitch is a disgrace. 😂.

Remember when he would always be involved in scraps.... when the players new how important derby matches where and what pride in the shirt meant!!
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Think we all know saints are very good team, the best in the league, with good players that are well drilled.
It was the way we lost, biggest game of the season, that was the most disappointing. No energy and no desire.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Wigan web site aksing for the moment of the match on Friday night.For me it's when the ref blow the whistle at the end of the 80