Sam Powell

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
First Try Tickle

Sam Powell

Post by First Try Tickle »

After the Cas Game a fortnight ago, Lam said that Powell had a suspected fractured wrist and it didn't look good. Then in the lead up to the game he gave nothing away which to me meant it wasn't broken but just sprained and he was ok to play against Saints.

Now I'm not having a go at Sam, but he was trying to tackle one handed all last week and missed more tackles than he has all season. He then spent every break with the physio having it strapped whilst popping pills.

Now he doesn't even get a mention in the injury list and Lam says everyone is fit. Surely cant be 100% and an unfit Powell will be a major hindrance in the middle of the pitch.

I did mention this last week at Saints, but got loads of abuse from the friends of Sam Powell club behind me.
Firestarter

Re: Sam Powell

Post by Firestarter »

I noticed that....... sammut is so called fit so tommy to hooker all day long
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I'd bet it was fractured and he was playing with painkillers. And we didn't say anything to hide that from Saints. It was very strange that no clarification was given and they were still waiting to find out on tuesday the extent of the injury. They'd have know straight away.

It didn't work though, he's clearly not happy and that was clear for us all to see.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Mike wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:39 pm I'd bet it was fractured and he was playing with painkillers. And we didn't say anything to hide that from Saints. It was very strange that no clarification was given and they were still waiting to find out on tuesday the extent of the injury. They'd have know straight away.

It didn't work though, he's clearly not happy and that was clear for us all to see.
It aint no sprain!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
bertina

Post by bertina »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:50 pm I noticed that....... sammut is so called fit so tommy to hooker all day long
Agree.
Sam Powell has come on leaps and bounds this year, but you can’t tell me it’s better to play him with 1 hand, rather than move Tommy to hooker and Sammut to half back. And to be honest Sammut’s kicking game is better than Tommy’s.
The defensive frailties don’t count either, because as was proved last week, Sam can’t tackle with 1 hand.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

If Powell has a broken whatever,then why the hell play him last week?

I’ve not seen anything this season,even since the upturn in form to suggest Wigan could get past saints last week,surely that was the week to rest him rather than send him in unfit,though you could argue he had an excuse for his dreadful form what about the other 16 players,but that’s for another day.

As for those calling for Samutt,much like Escare time to accept Lam won’t play them again.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Lam playing Powell at Saints shows how inflexible he is with his squad selection.
Very clearly he should not have played but Lam is fixated with not playing Escare or Sammut that even against Saints when he knew they would come down the middle all match he played a man with a damaged wrist. He might have an excuse if Powell was a wingman but playing him in the middle and at dummy half was reckless.

Like a few on here and elsewhere I reckoned Tommy should have played 9 with Sammut at 7.
Tommy playing 7 and allowing him to kick is one of the best tactics the opposition have. Kicks on the 6th going straight into hands and putting our opposition on the front foot is a tactic only our coaches can understand.

Powell should have been stood down for the Salford game because if we do beat them then Powell will be needed at Old Trafford. A good win with a season ending injury to Powell's wrist is a risk not worth taking but is being taken. Lam needs to be given a talking to by his seniors at the club.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:39 pm Lam playing Powell at Saints shows how inflexible he is with his squad selection.
Very clearly he should not have played but Lam is fixated with not playing Escare or Sammut that even against Saints when he knew they would come down the middle all match he played a man with a damaged wrist. He might have an excuse if Powell was a wingman but playing him in the middle and at dummy half was reckless.

Like a few on here and elsewhere I reckoned Tommy should have played 9 with Sammut at 7.
Tommy playing 7 and allowing him to kick is one of the best tactics the opposition have. Kicks on the 6th going straight into hands and putting our opposition on the front foot is a tactic only our coaches can understand.

Powell should have been stood down for the Salford game because if we do beat them then Powell will be needed at Old Trafford. A good win with a season ending injury to Powell's wrist is a risk not worth taking but is being taken. Lam needs to be given a talking to by his seniors at the club.
Hasnt Escare had a shoulder op plus he’s been out on loan so wouldn’t be able to play?

I agree though Powell shouldn’t have played last week
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Always liked Sam Powell even when the knifes were out for him big time (could never understand that myself) but even i am not daft enough to suggest he plays when injured . No one should . RL is a hard game enough game for fully fit players.

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

[quote=fozzieskem post_id=469683 time=1570134899 user_id=8337
Hasn't Escare had a shoulder op plus he’s been out on loan so wouldn’t be able to play?

I agree though Powell shouldn’t have played last week
[/quote]

Yes 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan