Sam Powell

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Sam Powell

Post by DaveO »

Well after the semi v Salford, Powell is officially crap again. Because he was.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

If Powell was fit then yea he had a shocker but he wasnt anywhere near fit in my opinion so he gets a let off for me as there’s was plenty of dross out there last night
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:59 am If Powell was fit then yea he had a shocker but he wasnt anywhere near fit in my opinion so he gets a let off for me as there’s was plenty of dross out there last night
Agree, you cannot blame Powell for anything last night. He was clearly playing with an injury.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Wintergreen wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:00 am
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:59 am If Powell was fit then yea he had a shocker but he wasnt anywhere near fit in my opinion so he gets a let off for me as there’s was plenty of dross out there last night
Agree, you cannot blame Powell for anything last night. He was clearly playing with an injury.
So why play him then???

It is not like we don't have alternatives or he was the Cameron Smith of the side - at his very best he was a decent hooker BUT not the best in SL to be playing injured - stupid stupid stupid!!!!

This what I can't get my head around. Greenwood - crap/finished etc fans accept him being dropped
Sammut - cheap and crap/can't tackle - fans accept him being dropped
Escare - crap/can't tackle - fans accept him being dropped

Not one single fan however, questions playing someone with one leg or one arm like Lam had done, clearly to the detriment of the team

We ended up playing the same style of rugby that we started the season with and we were near the bottom of the table with that rubbish coached by Lam.

Did the walking back into the side of both Lockers and Flower disrupt a side who were actually managing quite well without them affect the team morale?
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:18 am
So why play him then???

It is not like we don't have alternatives or he was the Cameron Smith of the side - at his very best he was a decent hooker BUT not the best in SL to be playing injured - stupid stupid stupid!!!!

This what I can't get my head around. Greenwood - crap/finished etc fans accept him being dropped

Not one single fan however, questions playing someone with one leg or one arm like Lam had done, clearly to the detriment of the team

We ended up playing the same style of rugby that we started the season with and we were near the bottom of the table with that rubbish coached by Lam.

Did the walking back into the side of both Lockers and Flower disrupt a side who were actually managing quite well without them affect the team morale?
Oh I don’t think you can find many who can fathom why Powell played last week or this for that matter didn’t make any sense at all,but it sums Lam up for me,show loyalty of course but not at the expense of the team as a whole
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:
Wintergreen wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:00 am Agree, you cannot blame Powell for anything last night. He was clearly playing with an injury.
So why play him then???

Oh I don’t think you can find many who can fathom why Powell played last week or this for that matter didn’t make any sense at all,but it sums Lam up for me,show loyalty of course but not at the expense of the team as a whole
The fact he played last week exposed Lam as a coach. Yes ok it’s not ideal your hooker is injured but the final is next week, and wasn’t the game last week. Play someone fit FFS.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

So why play him then???

said that myself we were managing well without them.Richie M on the other site says he heard of being unrest between the young players and experienced players???
/
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

So why play him then???

I said this when they came back but was dismissed by the usual know it alls on here and the other site, I t now seems many of these are asking the same thing now
Low Down Yankee Liar

Post by Low Down Yankee Liar »

Sam was obviously injured and did not have full confidence in his wrist but it must of been thought that if we were to progress to Old Trafford then we had no choice but to play him as nobody else at the club can do the job that he does. Its no coincidence that our loss of form and direction came with the injury to Sam.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Low Down Yankee Liar wrote:Sam was obviously injured and did not have full confidence in his wrist but it must of been thought that if we were to progress to Old Trafford then we had no choice but to play him as nobody else at the club can do the job that he does. Its no coincidence that our loss of form and direction came with the injury to Sam.
Nonsense. Lam played an injured player who proved to be a liability v Saints and made the same mistake v Salford. If we lost form due to his injury a big reason for that is he was picked to play and was a passenger. Any fit player would have done a better job.

Tommy who has played 9 for NZ can play hooker just as good as Powell and tackles even harder and we have Summat who wasn’t picked who could play 7. Would that have been Lams preferred line up? No but when your preferred line up had one of its players injured playing him so you can stick with you preferred team is stupid.