Page 4 of 4

Re: Sam Powell

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:37 am
by nathan_rugby
Levrier wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:39 pm
Except that was exactly what was said when we signed him and he covered that position a few times when other players went off. Perhaps you will start ranting about man never flying next because that has already happened as well. :lol:
I haven't watched every single Wigan game and cannot remember what was said about him 18 months ago.

He isn't good enough to start at Centre or Second Row, never mind in the halves.

Re: Sam Powell

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:34 pm
by Levrier
nathan_rugby wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:37 am
Levrier wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:39 pm
Except that was exactly what was said when we signed him and he covered that position a few times when other players went off. Perhaps you will start ranting about man never flying next because that has already happened as well. :lol:
I haven't watched every single Wigan game and cannot remember what was said about him 18 months ago.

He isn't good enough to start at Centre or Second Row, never mind in the halves.
That is true but as Warrington showed sometimes minimising disruption and playing one player out of position rather than several can work if you get the game plan right.

Re: Sam Powell

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:36 pm
by nathan_rugby
Levrier wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:34 pm
nathan_rugby wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:37 am
Levrier wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:39 pm
Except that was exactly what was said when we signed him and he covered that position a few times when other players went off. Perhaps you will start ranting about man never flying next because that has already happened as well. :lol:
I haven't watched every single Wigan game and cannot remember what was said about him 18 months ago.

He isn't good enough to start at Centre or Second Row, never mind in the halves.
That is true but as Warrington showed sometimes minimising disruption and playing one player out of position rather than several can work if you get the game plan right.
Who was it they did that with?

Re: Sam Powell

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:04 pm
by Firestarter
nathan_rugby wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:36 pm
Levrier wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:34 pm
nathan_rugby wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:37 am


I haven't watched every single Wigan game and cannot remember what was said about him 18 months ago.

He isn't good enough to start at Centre or Second Row, never mind in the halves.
That is true but as Warrington showed sometimes minimising disruption and playing one player out of position rather than several can work if you get the game plan right.
Who was it they did that with?
i think its ben currie nathan...... didnt he play stand off?

Re: Sam Powell

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:32 am
by Shaun Wane Legend
So predictable and tiresome that Sam Powell is the whipping boy of this forum. Some posters have an agenda against Sam regardless of the performances he puts in.
Wigan have a bad game, blame Powell. He should be admired that he is prepared to play through the pain for the team.
When we were poor at the start of the season it was Powell who put in some great performances and helped change our form.
If he is selected whilst unfit the blame lies with the coach not the player.
Ignore the haters Sam, some of us appreciate the work you put in.

Re: Sam Powell

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:59 am
by Wigan_forever1985
Shaun Wane Legend wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:32 am
So predictable and tiresome that Sam Powell is the whipping boy of this forum. Some posters have an agenda against Sam regardless of the performances he puts in.
Wigan have a bad game, blame Powell. He should be admired that he is prepared to play through the pain for the team.
When we were poor at the start of the season it was Powell who put in some great performances and helped change our form.
If he is selected whilst unfit the blame lies with the coach not the player.
Ignore the haters Sam, some of us appreciate the work you put in.
I disagree with this i think Powell has been given credit for the few games he has played well this year but the fact remains he's poor more than he is good so therefore expect him to kop some stick and playing 9 means youre more prominent than most on the pitch.

Powell is tireless for sure, but the flaws in his game that many cite in criticism are still there and will be there for the rest of his playing career i have no doubt

He is slow for a start - think that could be chalked up as an indisputable fact. So already you're limited because pace cannot be coached and he is only going to get slower. Now you can counteract slowness with smarts, unfortunately he doesn't really have that in his game, considering he is an ex halfback you would imagine him to have a smart rugby brain but he doesn't really, rarely does he catch out the opposition.

He is matty smith in hooker form

Re: Sam Powell

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:22 pm
by nathan_rugby
Firestarter wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:04 pm
nathan_rugby wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:36 pm
Levrier wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:34 pm

That is true but as Warrington showed sometimes minimising disruption and playing one player out of position rather than several can work if you get the game plan right.
Who was it they did that with?
i think its ben currie nathan...... didnt he play stand off?
Cannot compare Hankinson to Currie!

Re: Sam Powell

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:05 pm
by wall_of_voodoo
Wigan_forever1985 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:59 am
Shaun Wane Legend wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:32 am
So predictable and tiresome that Sam Powell is the whipping boy of this forum. Some posters have an agenda against Sam regardless of the performances he puts in.
Wigan have a bad game, blame Powell. He should be admired that he is prepared to play through the pain for the team.
When we were poor at the start of the season it was Powell who put in some great performances and helped change our form.
If he is selected whilst unfit the blame lies with the coach not the player.
Ignore the haters Sam, some of us appreciate the work you put in.
I disagree with this i think Powell has been given credit for the few games he has played well this year but the fact remains he's poor more than he is good so therefore expect him to kop some stick and playing 9 means youre more prominent than most on the pitch.

Powell is tireless for sure, but the flaws in his game that many cite in criticism are still there and will be there for the rest of his playing career i have no doubt

He is slow for a start - think that could be chalked up as an indisputable fact. So already you're limited because pace cannot be coached and he is only going to get slower. Now you can counteract slowness with smarts, unfortunately he doesn't really have that in his game, considering he is an ex halfback you would imagine him to have a smart rugby brain but he doesn't really, rarely does he catch out the opposition.

He is matty smith in hooker form
Sam Powell the whipping boy!!!!

Apart from the fact it was an utter disgrace to play him when he was clearly unfit. He has not been as bad and fans definitely are not blaming him for the loss. Just the fact that either he chose or was asked to play with one arm, in some obvious discomfort, and what he does offer what negated totally because of that fact

Mind you. If you want to take note it was a poor kick from Sam on the 4th tackle from dummy half that actually started the rot. Few tackles later - penalty to Salford the rest is history

Re: Sam Powell

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:44 pm
by DaveO
Wigan_forever1985 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:59 am
He is matty smith in hooker form
Got it in one.