Next season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: Next season

Post by pedro »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:56 am
No straw damn us wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:01 am
Hattster wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:05 pm Maybe the forwards Could take up the role of making the hard yards! You never know it might catch on.
Yet only four of the top twenty metre makers in Superleague are forwards? Jackson Hastings was 2nd just behind Tommy Makinson.
but a lot of this is down to minutes on the pitch isnt it?
id say no as the forward still should be taking it in more
pedro

Post by pedro »

WarriorRoss11 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:29 am
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:37 pm [quote=Levrier post_id=470083 time=<a href="tel:1570710279">1570710279</a> user_id=8524]
We need to decide where Bevan French plays. He is no halfback, he doesn't want to play on the wing and we already have a very decent fullback. Perhaps we brought him over early to fatten him up on pies to solve our props problem. :lol:
For me he would play fullback. He has got pace to burn and good hands. The trouble may be that, apart from Hastings, his thought process is far in advance of the rest of the team.
Agreed, he should be at 1 with Hardaker at 3, French is a very dangerous fullback attacking wise and joins the line incredibly well. Our backline next year if we want real attacking quality should be

1.French
2.Manfredi
3.Hardaker
4.Gildart
5.Marshall
6.Hastings
7.Sammut

Unfortunately we won’t see even half of that and we’ll be stuck with Tommy’s chip kicks all year
[/quote]

that would be my backline and maybe burgess in for marshy if he starts to give a shit again
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

pedro wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:20 pm
WarriorRoss11 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:29 am
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:37 pm [quote=Levrier post_id=470083 time=<a href="tel:1570710279">1570710279</a> user_id=8524]
We need to decide where Bevan French plays. He is no halfback, he doesn't want to play on the wing and we already have a very decent fullback. Perhaps we brought him over early to fatten him up on pies to solve our props problem. :lol:
For me he would play fullback. He has got pace to burn and good hands. The trouble may be that, apart from Hastings, his thought process is far in advance of the rest of the team.
Agreed, he should be at 1 with Hardaker at 3, French is a very dangerous fullback attacking wise and joins the line incredibly well. Our backline next year if we want real attacking quality should be

1.French
2.Manfredi
3.Hardaker
4.Gildart
5.Marshall
6.Hastings
7.Sammut

Unfortunately we won’t see even half of that and we’ll be stuck with Tommy’s chip kicks all year
that would be my backline and maybe burgess in for marshy if he starts to give a shit again
[/quote]

Can't see Sammut being in the team given that the club are openly trying to move him on.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I'd be happy with that backline too, certainly short-term, until we can find or train up a decent replacement for Sammut, but likewise I can't see it happening either.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I like Hardaker at full back, and think Bibby will be very good for us in the centres. I think French could go well with Hastings in the halves. Even with Leuluai there, Hastings is such a good organiser we will be better. A fit Manfredi would transform that into the most exciting back line we have had in a decade.
While Sarg’s defensive charges could be missed, if we have Burgess, Bullock and Clark taking drives early in the sets, we won’t be as reliant on the backs in any case.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Hope Hastings form does not dip. It seams to happen once a player has been named Man Of Steel
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

pearsy wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:11 am Hope Hastings form does not dip. It seams to happen once a player has been named Man Of Steel
I hope he's not got Danny Orr syndrome IF he does end up playing for us
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:27 am 1. Hardaker
2. Manfredi/Davies
3. Gildart
4. Bibby
5. French/Marshall/Burgess
6. Hastings
7. Leuluai
8. Burgess
9. Powell
10. Flower
11. Greenwood
12. Farrell
13. Smithies

14. O'Loughlin/Smith/Burouh
15. Partington
16. Bullock
17. Clubb/Isa/Clark/Byrne/Wells (whoever impresses the most)

There are a lot of variables for next year. Competition for places is high in a few positions (and not enough in others). Picking props is just guesswork. I've omitted Navarrete but who knows, he's still below the age that props usually peak and a lot of players have some years where they struggle. Our props do seem a bit underpowered compared to other sides though.

If Greenwood can find his early season form he'll be great in the back row alongside Farrell. Smithies is our best loose forward and will hopefully keep up his current form and improve so he should start. I'd love to see Smith and Burouh get opportunities as I think we need to plan for the future in key positions. Neither Leuluai nor Hastings have a long term future and we definitely need a plan B for when Powell isn't available.

Bibby from what I've seen is comfortable at left centre so perhaps Gildart can be switched now that we've discovered how to attack on the right edge.
One main reason we have been able to attack on the right edge is because Hankinson has been passing Marshy the ball

Dont dismiss what Hankinson has contributed to the team this season, he has sharpened up hardakers kicking and Sarge improved as a result of his presence

When Hankinson was kicking, playing really well and making a claim for a starting spot it was Lam who went for his favourites again, not thinking about the bigger picture, as proven Lam's lack of management burned some of the younger players out and undermined confidence in the team
shaunedwardsfanclub

medlocke wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:59 am
pearsy wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:11 am Hope Hastings form does not dip. It seams to happen once a player has been named Man Of Steel
I hope he's not got Danny Orr syndrome IF he does end up playing for us
Did Danny Orr win MOS?
shaunedwardsfanclub

jackthelad wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:21 pm
EagleEyePie wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:27 am 1. Hardaker
2. Manfredi/Davies
3. Gildart
4. Bibby
5. French/Marshall/Burgess
6. Hastings
7. Leuluai
8. Burgess
9. Powell
10. Flower
11. Greenwood
12. Farrell
13. Smithies

14. O'Loughlin/Smith/Burouh
15. Partington
16. Bullock
17. Clubb/Isa/Clark/Byrne/Wells (whoever impresses the most)

There are a lot of variables for next year. Competition for places is high in a few positions (and not enough in others). Picking props is just guesswork. I've omitted Navarrete but who knows, he's still below the age that props usually peak and a lot of players have some years where they struggle. Our props do seem a bit underpowered compared to other sides though.

If Greenwood can find his early season form he'll be great in the back row alongside Farrell. Smithies is our best loose forward and will hopefully keep up his current form and improve so he should start. I'd love to see Smith and Burouh get opportunities as I think we need to plan for the future in key positions. Neither Leuluai nor Hastings have a long term future and we definitely need a plan B for when Powell isn't available.

Bibby from what I've seen is comfortable at left centre so perhaps Gildart can be switched now that we've discovered how to attack on the right edge.
One main reason we have been able to attack on the right edge is because Hankinson has been passing Marshy the ball

Dont dismiss what Hankinson has contributed to the team this season, he has sharpened up hardakers kicking and Sarge improved as a result of his presence

When Hankinson was kicking, playing really well and making a claim for a starting spot it was Lam who went for his favourites again, not thinking about the bigger picture, as proven Lam's lack of management burned some of the younger players out and undermined confidence in the team
That is an interesting assumption. When Hankinson has played centre he and his winger have contributed eight tries, when Sarge has played centre 20 tries have been scored. Now I like Hank but I believe he is only a good reserve, he lacks the pace to be a good centre.