Next season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Sol1

Re: Next season

Post by Sol1 »

Lussic at 9
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

DaveO wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:14 pm
pearsy wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:46 pm What should our starting 13 be next season with what we have seen the last couple of weeks?
It's easier to say who should not be in the team and start form there.

The ones on the definitely not to play again list are for me (in no particular order)

Lockers, Clubb, Flower, Navarete and Isa.

You could probably add Tommy to that list given he will be another year older.

Players I'd look to replace given the chance, Powell and Hankinson. Both try hard but don't have the quality required for the positions they playing. Powell has absolutely no craft or guile as a hooker. Yes he's improved a bit this season but not being quite as poor doesn't make you good enough. Salford's hooker played him off the park.

Then we get to the 3/4's. We have on the books who are all first team players: Escare, French, Bibby, Gildart, Marshall, Budgie and Manfred and of course Hankinson mentioned above.

French looks exceedingly dangerous with the ball but he has done nothing to suggest he's anything but a winger so we need to bite the bullet and get rid of at least two of that lot (obviously not Gildart).

So where does that leave us:

1. Hardaker
2. Marshall
3. Bibby (convinced he's been recruited as a centre)
4. Gildart
5. French
6. ?
7. Hastings
8. Burgess
9 ?
10. Clarke
11. Faz
12. Greenwood
13. Smithies

Subs: Bulluck
Partington
?
?

What will we get as opposed to that? Pretty much the same as tonight especially if Lockers carries on.

Lam will never drop him. Tommy will partner Hastings. He won't go with just two wingers. Clubb is on a two year deal so he will play. Depressing!

All that said, you could solve all the aged player problems but if Lam can't fathom how to deal with Saints expect other teams to copy them and beat us regardless who is in the team.
We all know dads army will be going round again, not only are we not match fit but we have players who aren't capable of ever being fit enough again ,but the cosy jobs for the boys culture will carry on until someone is appointed who has the balls to get rid ,unfortunately that's not rads.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

DaveO wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:14 pm
pearsy wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:46 pm What should our starting 13 be next season with what we have seen the last couple of weeks?
It's easier to say who should not be in the team and start form there.

The ones on the definitely not to play again list are for me (in no particular order)

Lockers, Clubb, Flower, Navarete and Isa.

You could probably add Tommy to that list given he will be another year older.

Players I'd look to replace given the chance, Powell and Hankinson. Both try hard but don't have the quality required for the positions they playing. Powell has absolutely no craft or guile as a hooker. Yes he's improved a bit this season but not being quite as poor doesn't make you good enough. Salford's hooker played him off the park.

Then we get to the 3/4's. We have on the books who are all first team players: Escare, French, Bibby, Gildart, Marshall, Budgie and Manfred and of course Hankinson mentioned above.

French looks exceedingly dangerous with the ball but he has done nothing to suggest he's anything but a winger so we need to bite the bullet and get rid of at least two of that lot (obviously not Gildart).

So where does that leave us:

1. Hardaker
2. Marshall
3. Bibby (convinced he's been recruited as a centre)
4. Gildart
5. French
6. ?
7. Hastings
8. Burgess
9 ?
10. Clarke
11. Faz
12. Greenwood
13. Smithies

Subs: Bulluck
Partington
?
?

What will we get as opposed to that? Pretty much the same as tonight especially if Lockers carries on.

Lam will never drop him. Tommy will partner Hastings. He won't go with just two wingers. Clubb is on a two year deal so he will play. Depressing!

All that said, you could solve all the aged player problems but if Lam can't fathom how to deal with Saints expect other teams to copy them and beat us regardless who is in the team.
We all know dads army will be going round again, not only are we not match fit but we have players who aren't capable of ever being fit enough again ,but the cosy jobs for the boys culture will carry on until someone is appointed who has the balls to get rid ,unfortunately that's not rads.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

French and manfredi(if fully fit)on the wings for me.
Feel sorry for Sammut. I know he’s had injuries but when he was fit he was an unused sub a lot of the time. Why bring him in if we’re not gonna use him?
Has the best kicking game out of our lot
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

ian.birchall wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:25 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:17 pm I’ll not change my tune now,but I haven’t been won over by Lam at all,he has my support for now but he looks out of his depth not knowing his best team.

As for that performance it’s foundations were sown last week,utterly clueless in attack and defence.

Shame not more there to witness it.
You are being too kind I'm afraid. We need to swap Lam for Ian Watson if we want a coach who can organise and motivate a side, the last 4 games have shown up Lams inability to change a downward plunge, like all coaches who are unsure of their own ability he is too frightened to bite the bullet as evidenced by his starting SOL the last two weeks in place of Smithies.
I’ve said for the last couple of seasons Watson was the coming man,he and his teams play rugby the right way in my opinion I mentioned this on a Facebook group months ago and got the usual “he’s crap,he coaches a small team,relegation fodder” comments as a comeback.

Lam shouldn’t have played that side tonight,Powell was he git really?

And as you say his handling of Lockers after last weeks debacle he should have been on the bench but he’s too scared to drop him,after last weeks shambles no one and I mean no one should have been safe
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:09 am
ian.birchall wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:25 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:17 pm I’ll not change my tune now,but I haven’t been won over by Lam at all,he has my support for now but he looks out of his depth not knowing his best team.

As for that performance it’s foundations were sown last week,utterly clueless in attack and defence.

Shame not more there to witness it.
You are being too kind I'm afraid. We need to swap Lam for Ian Watson if we want a coach who can organise and motivate a side, the last 4 games have shown up Lams inability to change a downward plunge, like all coaches who are unsure of their own ability he is too frightened to bite the bullet as evidenced by his starting SOL the last two weeks in place of Smithies.
I’ve said for the last couple of seasons Watson was the coming man,he and his teams play rugby the right way in my opinion I mentioned this on a Facebook group months ago and got the usual “he’s crap,he coaches a small team,relegation fodder” comments as a comeback.

Lam shouldn’t have played that side tonight,Powell was he git really?

And as you say his handling of Lockers after last weeks debacle he should have been on the bench but he’s too scared to drop him,after last weeks shambles no one and I mean no one should have been safe
I am convinced some coaches only pick their best sides when half the squad is unavailable. I thought Wane was guilty of this and so is Lam. Lockers? Automatic selection. French? better fit him in somewhere and not drop a winger etc
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Unless we sort our pack out we are stuffed, we have too many who are past their sell by date. The Aussie backs would struggle behind our forwards. We should have retained one of Lockers, Benny and Clubb to play in our reserves, the other two should have been shown the door. Rads and IFL need to be ruthless. We have young bucks who carry that pack and that’s not how it should be.

Salford are not a great team but they do the basics well. Their two props are far better than ours. We need to sign some hard nosed forwards that create room for Hastings to play.

Rugby league is not a complicated game if you have the right personnel. We have done well to make second with this team but that is not good enough for Wigan.

Good luck to Salford they deserve to go to OT.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:56 am Unless we sort our pack out we are stuffed, we have too many who are past their sell by date. The Aussie backs would struggle behind our forwards. We should have retained one of Lockers, Benny and Clubb to play in our reserves, the other two should have been shown the door. Rads and IFL need to be ruthless. We have young bucks who carry that pack and that’s not how it should be.

Salford are not a great team but they do the basics well. Their two props are far better than ours. We need to sign some hard nosed forwards that create room for Hastings to play.

Rugby league is not a complicated game if you have the right personnel. We have done well to make second with this team but that is not good enough for Wigan.

You are spot on, and the irony of it is we got rid of Mossop and Dudson.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Is it as bad as that? With a good coach I think we could be very good indeed. We could field...
Hardaker
Davies
Bibby
Gildart
Manfredi
French
Hastings

Burgess
Powell
Bullock
Greenwood
Farrell
Smithies

Partington
Clark
Byrne
+1

So, only 2 of the same starting backs, and no Clubb, Flower, O’L, Burgess or Isa. The young lads will be a year older, wiser and bigger. Last night was rubbish, but it was a consequence of relying on lads too young for too long, with hopeless efforts from Clubb and Flower, whom we should have released ages ago.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:56 am Unless we sort our pack out we are stuffed, we have too many who are past their sell by date. The Aussie backs would struggle behind our forwards. We should have retained one of Lockers, Benny and Clubb to play in our reserves, the other two should have been shown the door. Rads and IFL need to be ruthless. We have young bucks who carry that pack and that’s not how it should be.

Exactly.

You look at Thompson and Walmsley and compare them to our front row....... It's just embarassing.

Btw technically we didn't come second, we came third.