Next season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Next season

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

doc wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:48 am I would say Bibby for Sarge is a step backwards. His stats on Friday were no better than Gilly or Hankinson. Losing Sarge massively impacts our ability to get our of our own half. People may have had a downer on both Gells and Sarge as classical centres but both made big yards out of our own twenty. I think Manfredi and Davies can contribute to this but have my doubts on Marshall and doing the hard yards has never been Budgie's strength. Our pack, bar George Burgess, don't have the size to do it either.

Personally I see Zak going to right centre, French to FB and Tommy/Hastings in the halves. Wings then pick any from four, much as it is now.
We need to sign a quality centre. Gilly is in the final year of his contract ☹️
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Hattster wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:05 pm Maybe the forwards Could take up the role of making the hard yards! You never know it might catch on.
Exactly, when was the last time that happened?
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Hattster wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:05 pm Maybe the forwards Could take up the role of making the hard yards! You never know it might catch on.
Yet only four of the top twenty metre makers in Superleague are forwards? Jackson Hastings was 2nd just behind Tommy Makinson.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

No straw damn us wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:01 am
Yet only four of the top twenty metre makers in Superleague are forwards? Jackson Hastings was 2nd just behind Tommy Makinson.
but a lot of this is down to minutes on the pitch isnt it?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:56 am
but a lot of this is down to minutes on the pitch isnt it?
I would guess that the majority of the top metre makers are either full back or wingers. For want of a better phrase, they get easy metres with kick returns. The forwards need to graft for their yards running straight into the oppositions pack, so unless they make line breaks arent going to get many "easy" metres.

There is no doubt that over recent seasons our style of play has used both centres and wingers to do the leg work coming out of our 20 metre area instead of the forwards every set of 6 to a point where we have physically battered them - i would say it is no coincidence that they have all suffered injuries due to their workload.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Very true but you would expect wingers and fullbacks to be up there as they return plenty of kicks. I bet if we compare our pack with others they are way down the pecking order.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

What point are you trying to prove? The desire is for our forwards to actual make more yards per run and more yards per game overall. Not for Tony Club to be ranked in the top 10 meters makers..

Forwards making "hard yards" is completely different to backs racking up meters for kick returns and clean breaks...
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

We need to decide where Bevan French plays. He is no halfback, he doesn't want to play on the wing and we already have a very decent fullback. Perhaps we brought him over early to fatten him up on pies to solve our props problem. :lol:
shaunedwardsfanclub

Levrier wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:24 pm We need to decide where Bevan French plays. He is no halfback, he doesn't want to play on the wing and we already have a very decent fullback. Perhaps we brought him over early to fatten him up on pies to solve our props problem. :lol:
For me he would play fullback. He has got pace to burn and good hands. The trouble may be that, apart from Hastings, his thought process is far in advance of the rest of the team.
WarriorRoss11

Post by WarriorRoss11 »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:37 pm [quote=Levrier post_id=470083 time=<a href="tel:1570710279">1570710279</a> user_id=8524]
We need to decide where Bevan French plays. He is no halfback, he doesn't want to play on the wing and we already have a very decent fullback. Perhaps we brought him over early to fatten him up on pies to solve our props problem. :lol:
For me he would play fullback. He has got pace to burn and good hands. The trouble may be that, apart from Hastings, his thought process is far in advance of the rest of the team.
[/quote]

Agreed, he should be at 1 with Hardaker at 3, French is a very dangerous fullback attacking wise and joins the line incredibly well. Our backline next year if we want real attacking quality should be

1.French
2.Manfredi
3.Hardaker
4.Gildart
5.Marshall
6.Hastings
7.Sammut

Unfortunately we won’t see even half of that and we’ll be stuck with Tommy’s chip kicks all year