Which Wigan Warriors players may be departing in the off-season?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Which Wigan Warriors players may be departing in the off-season?

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam says there will be a “reshuffle” of the Wigan squad before next season.

Their Grand Final charge was derailed by their 28-4 defeat by Salford last Friday night.

And afterwards, Lam said there may be some player movement before they report back for pre-season training in November.

George Burgess, Jackson Hastings, Jake Bibby and Mitch Clark have already been recruited for 2020.

Dan Sarginson (Salford), George Williams (Canberra) and Samy Kibula (Warrington) are departed – and Lam suggested others may leave.

Fringe players would, inevitably, seem the most likely to depart – though they are all under contract for next year.

Australian halfback Jarrod Sammut has already been linked with a move to Hull KR after struggling to establish himself at Wigan.

Morgan Escare finished the season on loan at Wakefield and would be allowed to leave. Fellow Frenchman Romain Navarrete was also squeezed out of the first-team mix by the end of the season.

And when Dom Manfredi and Tom Davies return from injury, Wigan will have a contingent of four senior wingers along with Joe Burgess and Liam Marshall.

He may be open to the idea of allowing one to leave, even if it is on loan - Leeds are thought to be keeping tabs on Davies’ recovery.

“There’ll be a reshuffle in the squad with a lot of players,” said Lam. “There’s a fair bit coming in. It’s due, I think – there’ll be a different feel next year.”

He is keen to promote some of the young players into the senior squad, having handed debuts to the likes of Morgan Smithies and Liam Byrne this year.

Lam said captain Sean O’Loughlin is still in talks with Wigan about playing on next season.

He’s in negotiations with the club at the moment,” he said.

Meanwhile, Lam says Salford have got a chance in the Grand Final.

He added: “St Helens will be favourites but they were favourites in the Challenge Cup Final too. If Salford have that same mentality again they’ll give themselves a chance.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/which ... 1-10036907
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
First Try Tickle

Re: Which Wigan Warriors players may be departing in the off-season?

Post by First Try Tickle »

I really hope Lockers doesn't continue playing next season, he misses to many games and as the last couple of matches have shown, it takes he a few more games to get back into it.

But most of all I don't want fans to start getting on his back. He's been one of the most influential players of all time for Wigan and we don't want to tarnish this.

Plus he will be a great coach for the youngsters coming through, who wouldn't want some advice from him at the half time break. He should be Smithies mentor.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I agree regarding O'Loughlin's playing ability and status. It would be rather sad to say the least to see somebody who has achieved so much for the club tarnish his reputation by playing on in 2020 and struggling further. I think its more apparent with him being an impact player week in week out and still finding it difficult in 20 minute phases. That said, he is by no means the only forward this season who has struggled!

Does anybody think these players have a future at Wigan Morgan Escare, Craig Mullen, Josh Woods, Jack Wells, Jarrod Sammut and Joe Shorrocks?

Will be interesting to see if Dom Manfredi manages to play again for Wigan?

Personally id have no issues considering our recruitment with the departures of Tony Clubb, Romain Navarrete and Willie Isa!
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:48 pm I agree regarding O'Loughlin's playing ability and status. It would be rather sad to say the least to see somebody who has achieved so much for the club tarnish his reputation by playing on in 2020 and struggling further. I think its more apparent with him being an impact player week in week out and still finding it difficult in 20 minute phases. That said, he is by no means the only forward this season who has struggled!

Does anybody think these players have a future at Wigan Morgan Escare, Craig Mullen, Josh Woods, Jack Wells, Jarrod Sammut and Joe Shorrocks?

Personally id have no issues considering our recruitment with the departures of Tony Clubb, Romain Navarrete and Willie Isa!
Wells and Clubb have signed new deals so I doubt they will be leaving. Escape, Navarrete, Isa and Sammut are not out of contract so they will have to agree to leave and no doubt they will need to be paid to do so. Joe Shorrocks? I am not sure why we would get rid of our U19s captain? Is this a wish list or have you heard rumours?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:48 pm I agree regarding O'Loughlin's playing ability and status. It would be rather sad to say the least to see somebody who has achieved so much for the club tarnish his reputation by playing on in 2020 and struggling further. I think its more apparent with him being an impact player week in week out and still finding it difficult in 20 minute phases. That said, he is by no means the only forward this season who has struggled!

Wigan are stuck with Clubb as for the rest I think Wigan have to get tough and stop being sentimental with players who come through the ranks,not all will make it and will no doubt come back to haunt the club..(hello Mr Mossop),but that’s life though and what makes sport so good.

Manfredi is an odd one he is class but is very fragile but would I let him go?no I don’t think I would,of course there has to come a time if something bad happens again then you take the loss and let him go,but not yet.
shaunedwardsfanclub

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:35 pm

Wigan are stuck with Clubb as for the rest I think Wigan have to get tough and stop being sentimental with players who come through the ranks,not all will make it and will no doubt come back to haunt the club..(hello Mr Mossop),but that’s life though and what makes sport so good.

Manfredi is an odd one he is class but is very fragile but would I let him go?no I don’t think I would,of course there has to come a time if something bad happens again then you take the loss and let him go,but not yet.
Which players coming through the ranks are you referring to? The reason Mossop left was nothing to do with ability. Dom is raring to go, he will be good for pre-season, all he needs is some good luck as he is a class act.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Interesting to read Lammy's remarks. I wonder if he thought recruitment was sorted until seeing us suffer in the final two games. I hope he now realises that we would benefit from another couple of singings. If we can 'move on' some of the players mentioned by other posters there would be room for a couple of recruits. It's always difficult when these decisions affect peoples livelihoods but sport at this level is brutal (or at least should be).
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Isn’t next season the start of the proper reserve grade competition?

Unless it’s money because the club is skint or if players want to leave to find first team football there is no real reason to let anyone go.

Not that I want everyone retained of course.

The one about Davies to Leeds is a strange one. I thought he was highly regarded and given Budgies form or lack of it, if we are keeping the injury prone Manfredi I’d have thought Budgie was a potential casualty. Mind you I suppose it depends who is out of contract which is why we are stuck with Clubb because he isn’t. :roll:
shaunedwardsfanclub

DaveO wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:14 pm Isn’t next season the start of the proper reserve grade competition?

Unless it’s money because the club is skint or if players want to leave to find first team football there is no real reason to let anyone go.

The one about Davies to Leeds is a strange one. I thought he was highly regarded and given Budgies form or lack of it, if we are keeping the injury prone Manfredi I’d have thought Budgie was a potential casualty. Mind you I suppose it depends who is out of contract which is why we are stuck with Clubb because he isn’t. :roll:
No, but he should have been at the end of this season😟
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

DaveO wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:14 pm Isn’t next season the start of the proper reserve grade competition?

It's pretty clear the club are looking to save money where they can given the losses they made last year. Plus there's no real point keeping someone at the club if they are a first team player that isn't getting a look in. Players like Sammut and Escare would just end up in the reserves and you'd want to be giving opportunities to the likes of Hanley, Smith and Woods in that competition. The size of our squad has been criticised frequently over the last few years so maybe it's time for a different approach.

I agree about Davies though. Before he was injured Davies was pretty much always considered as one of our 2 strongest wingers. Whether that was through other players being injured or out of form it says a lot about his consistency. Even when Davies himself wasn't in the best of form he still had a lot to offer. With Manfredi's injury record and Budgie's end of season form I think most people would have been looking forward to Davies returning. Plus, the best thing that Sarginson brought to the side was his work rate and strong carries. It made a difference even if his centre play often left a lot to be desired. Davies is the only player we have who can come close to matching that.