Wigan Warriors will have a big pack in 2020, says optimistic Ian Lenagan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Wigan Warriors will have a big pack in 2020, says optimistic Ian Lenagan

Post by Caboosegg »

EEP regardless of size id take Faz over other SL 2nd rowers any day of the week
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:38 am EEP regardless of size id take Faz over other SL 2nd rowers any day of the week
So would I, and he runs above his weight too, as did Bateman, which is why those two together was never an issue.

I'm not sure about Isa on the opposite side though. He's got a great work rate and never seems to get injured, but up against a big and aggressive defence he had no threat at all. That's where sometimes bigger is better.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

We could have the biggest pack playing SL but it would be irrelevant if we continue to use backs for the hard yards and then use the forwards for the set plays on the opponents line

The way we play as a team MUST change and the excuses that players only know or trust the "Wane Way" is unacceptable. Either ship them out or ship them on if they refuse or are unable to change
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

I think that it is time for IL to make a statement to the Aussies about Hastings. Either JH is going nowhere but the DW for next season or this is what reigning MOS with this many years on his contract will cost. If the latter lets use the cash to improve the team.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:47 am
Caboosegg wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:38 am EEP regardless of size id take Faz over other SL 2nd rowers any day of the week
So would I, and he runs above his weight too, as did Bateman, which is why those two together was never an issue.

I'm not sure about Isa on the opposite side though. He's got a great work rate and never seems to get injured, but up against a big and aggressive defence he had no threat at all. That's where sometimes bigger is better.
Problem with Isa is he often averages less than 10 runs a game and less than 100m overall. It’s shocking stats for someone that plays a lot of minutes.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
pedro

Post by pedro »

We have so many left sided players. Marshy, Budgie, Bibby, Gilly, Greenwood and Faz.....Right we have Manfredi, Davies, Isa and Hankinson. Spent too much for the left.

Recruitment for Bateman was poor and I see the recruitment for Sarge being poor as Bibby is a left sided player also, Its as though they think a centre is a centre but players do have side preference and its baffling as Rads doesnt seem to see it.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Indeed, but you'd assume Lam would at least start with Bibby at right centre next season and see how it goes. Especially if French continues to be the square peg that they can't find a home for.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Gildart can play right centre. It's where he played at the end of last year and his form there got him into the England side when he was originally overlooked. The issue with him there wasn't that he wasn't suited to that side (his defence was outstanding and he created some good tries), but that at the start of this year our attack was so left dominated that it made no sense having our best attacking centre on the opposite side seeing none of the ball.

Now that our right edge seems a bit more threatening (owed a lot to Williams, but I'm sure Hastings can do the same) I don't see any reason why Gildart can't be moved to the right again, since Hastings and Bibby already seem to have a good understanding, and Gildart and Manfredi were a good combination late last year.