LOckers

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: LOckers

Post by medlocke »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:04 pm
Hattster wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:49 am It’s time messrs Radlinski & Leneghan did the same thing at Wigan and make the decision for him.
“Shaun you’ve had a fantastic playing career, but now it’s time to move into the coaching role that we’ve promised you”
Personally i think he should hang up his boot and as for coaching - he should have to prove he is worth that role to the club. I get he has been a great servant but does anyone know if he is actually any good at coaching?
Exactly, Jobs for the boys reigns supreme and it always will as long as Rads is in situ
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

How much of a surprise is this?

I wonder really how much of a 'mutual' agreement this was? Personally I dont believe Sean has anywhere near warranted selection for GB (based solely on this season)!

Either way its the correct outcome, if Bennett has decided to exclude Sean he clearly has done this based on his performances this season and if Sean has chosen or 'mutually agreed' to this, full credit to him for taking ownership.

In all honesty, I think between 2002-2018 Sean has developed and stuck with the club through difficult times through to success and through transitional periods. To be able to reject interest from Sydney Roosters and Newcastle Knights (remarkably for a English forward 30+) speaks volumes!

To be blunt I think 2019 is the first season I've really looked at him and thought he just looks physically tired! He hasn't been the only forward who has struggled in 2019 at Wigan though!

That all said, the reality is where does this leave Wigan and Sean for 2020? Would a full off season help recover fatigue and fitness? I wouldn't be totally disheartened if he continued to play in 2020 but I'm struggling to see where and how he features? If Morgan Smithies stays fit he plays week in week out for me! Despite the fact we have Bullock, Burgess, Flower, Clark, Clubb, Partington, Byrne and Navarrete, I would use Sean as an 'impact prop'. He isn't a 4 or 6 anymore and doesn't offer the same impact at 13!

I would certainly keep him at the club in his agreed coaching capacity to help develop the likes of Smithies and Partington etc but the days of him having the 13 jersey are over in my opinion!
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

medlocke wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:46 pm
Hattster wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:49 am It’s time messrs Radlinski & Leneghan did the same thing at Wigan and make the decision for him.
“Shaun you’ve had a fantastic playing career, but now it’s time to move into the coaching role that we’ve promised you”
Personally i think he should hang up his boot and as for coaching - he should have to prove he is worth that role to the club. I get he has been a great servant but does anyone know if he is actually any good at coaching?
Exactly, Jobs for the boys reigns supreme and it always will as long as Rads is in situ
I thought hes coaching the youth already?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:17 pm

Which is where he should remain for several years (if true), No way should he waltz straight into a first team coaching role just because he is Lockers, He should work his way through the coaching set up and in around ten years maybe be given a go as assistant coach
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

medlocke wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:23 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:17 pm

Which is where he should remain for several years (if true), No way should he waltz straight into a first team coaching role just because he is Lockers, He should work his way through the coaching set up and in around ten years maybe be given a go as assistant coach
Agreed. Wane worked as a scout for three years then spent six years coaching the juniors before being appointed assistant to Maguire.

If Lockers had any sense he'd try for a junior coaching gig in the NRL and learn off some of the best coaches going. Do him good to get out of the "Wigan Way" (which IMO has been lost for quite a while given the off field behaviour of players stretching back quite a bit) and see what coaching RL looks like from a different perspective. Can't see it though as he looks like he doesn't fancy living abroad. Which is fair enough for him if that is how he feels. It doesn't suit everyone but not having seen how things are done outside of Wigan is a handicap IMO.
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

I would be happy to have Lockers to play a supporting role for our new blockbusting pack :roll: rather than trying to get a 37 year old to carry the whole team. An off season will benefit him and might allow us to get a bit more out of tired legs. Having said that from experience having time off just allows your body the opportunity to seize up completely.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

The downside of him receiving an extended playing deal is that when (eventually) both Leuluai and Lockers do actually decide to retire, Wigan will lose an enormous amount of experience in one go.

Combined with the fact that Jackson Hastings could also leave after his first season (worst case scenario) and their WILL be a massive team rebuilding job to under take - just as Adrian Lam could be walking away back to Aus. That is not an ideal situation in anyone's book.

There appears to be no longer than a year-to-year strategy with regards to team building/recruitment at the moment
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
endoman

Post by endoman »

Just thinking about the last player to have spent his entire career at Wigan? Excluding those who lasted 5 minutes in the game I can't think of anyone. Some time away from Wigan will do him no end of good if he wants to coach.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

endoman wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:44 pm Just thinking about the last player to have spent his entire career at Wigan? Excluding those who lasted 5 minutes in the game I can't think of anyone.
Radlinski?
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

The booze hound wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:09 pm
endoman wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:44 pm Just thinking about the last player to have spent his entire career at Wigan? Excluding those who lasted 5 minutes in the game I can't think of anyone.
Radlinski?
Liam Farrell