Wigan Warriors prop Joe Bullock is fit again - and 'craving' a game with England Knights

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors prop Joe Bullock is fit again - and 'craving' a game with England Knights

Post by josie andrews »

Joe Bullock will discover tonight whether he gets the chance to play once more before 2020.

Players in the England Knights training squad will be told this evening whether they are in contention for the game against Jamaica at Headingley.

And for prop Bullock, the international on October 20 represents his last chance to lace up the boots again this year after his breakthrough Super League campaign was cut short by injury.

The 26-year-old played in 23 games for Wigan until suffering a knee injury in defeat at St Helens in July.

He returned to full training three weeks ago but, with Adrian Lam’s outfit entering the play-offs, couldn’t force his way back into the side.

Now Bullock hopes his early-season form was enough to warrant selection in the trimmed down Knights squad, which is revealed publicly tomorrow.

“I’ve been involved in the Knights training camps so hopefully I get the opportunity – I’m craving a game,” said the amicable front-rower.

“I came back at a bad time to get back into the Wigan side, the games were all crunch matches so I understood why I wasn’t selected.”

Bullock joined Wigan less than a year ago from part-time outfit Barrow and quickly made an impression on Lam’s side.

He offered a physical presence in the middle and while by his own admission he is yet the finished article at this level, he featured much more than many expected until his injury.

“Personally I’ve had a great year, I’ve really enjoyed my time here in a full-time environment – I didn’t expect to play in as many games as I did,” he said.

“I’m grateful for the opportunities I’ve had and the amazing venues I’ve been able to play at.

“It would have been nice to finish on a high but that’s sport for you.

“I’m just looking forward to pre-season now and kicking on.”

Bullock accepts he may need to find another gear in 2020 following the recruitment of George Burgess and Mitch Clark.

“I’ve gone back to step one again,” he said. “But you look at the calibre of props coming in and it’s only going to make me better.

“It adds to the standard we’ve already got, so it makes it even harder to get in.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan ... 1-10049151
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Wigan Warriors prop Joe Bullock is fit again - and 'craving' a game with England Knights

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Why did Lam not play him if he was fit? That is an appalling misjudgment, as our props were clearly shot.
Levrier

Re: Wigan Warriors prop Joe Bullock is fit again - and 'craving' a game with England Knights

Post by Levrier »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:30 pm Why did Lam not play him if he was fit? That is an appalling misjudgment, as our props were clearly shot.
Beggars belief unless he thought that we could not play so badly in two games running. The problem was we were the rugby equivalent of that marathon runner being helped over the line by the Saints game.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sadly Joe hasn’t been selected 😢
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

It was obvious to us all that after the play off win v Salford the team was physically and mentally shot!
That was so obvious from their reaction on the pitch after the final whistle and subsequent interviews.
How Lam couldn't see the need for fresh bodies I don't know 'cos everyone else could.
If Bullock and Sammut were fit they should have played v Saints and most certainly v Salford in what was the crunch game.

Lam's squad selection does make one wonder what he's thinking.
Smithies, 72 tackles in a game then next match dropped to the bench.
French our best attacking threat, scores brilliant tries and brings the house down then next game dropped to the bench.

Lam must do better if we are to win anything next season.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:53 am It was obvious to us all that after the play off win v Salford the team was physically and mentally shot!
That was so obvious from their reaction on the pitch after the final whistle and subsequent interviews.
How Lam couldn't see the need for fresh bodies I don't know 'cos everyone else could.
If Bullock and Sammut were fit they should have played v Saints and most certainly v Salford in what was the crunch game.

Lam's squad selection does make one wonder what he's thinking.
Smithies, 72 tackles in a game then next match dropped to the bench.
French our best attacking threat, scores brilliant tries and brings the house down then next game dropped to the bench.

Lam must do better if we are to win anything next season.
Agree his team selection also Greenwood was available it was plain to see the young lads were burned out where is he going to play French next season??Lockers and Flower did not improve the team when they came back we seemed to go downhill from then on.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

So Lam had three fit players in Bullock, Greenwood and Summat and after that show v Saints he didn’t pick any of them. Unbelievable.

At the very least he if he didn’t think these players were his best selections he could have played the percentages and rested three who played v Salford the week before and put them in v Saints.

So three intense games he carries on with a knackered team.

This is a rookie coaching mistake.

widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

DaveO wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:53 pm So Lam had three fit players in Bullock, Greenwood and Summat and after that show v Saints he didn’t pick any of them. Unbelievable.

At the very least he if he didn’t think these players were his best selections he could have played the percentages and rested three who played v Salford the week before and put them in v Saints.

So three intense games he carries on with a knackered team.

This is a rookie coaching mistake.
It's a puzzler, we looked good going 18-6 up v Salford but struggled from there on in. Why? options would be Powell's injury and/or fatigue. Either way, Lam did not cover himself in glory.
If Bullock/Greenwood fit then they should have played, Sammut also.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Was this Lams first season as a full time coach of a club team?

I expect it was a huge learning curve by him and the points above are a prime example.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."