Hardaker dominates Awards Night

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Hardaker dominates Awards Night

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors’ 2019 End of Season Awards took place at the DW Stadium on Monday night.
The night, that was sponsored by Steve Woods Ltd, saw the Warriors celebrate the contributions and achievements from across the Club to bring the 2019 campaign to a close.

On the day that he received a call-up to the Great Britain Lions, full-back Zak Hardaker dominated the evening, picking up three individual awards being named Player of the Season, Players’ Player of the Season and Community Player of the Season.

In a competitive field, Wigan duo Oliver Partington and Morgan Smithies shared the Young Player of the Year Award, in a season where the two teenage forwards carved out a reputation as two of the game’s most promising talents.

Vicky Molyneux was named Women’s Player of the Season, after an impressive campaign in which she represented Lancashire in the Women’s Origin series and was named in the England Women’s Performance Squad.

Other winners on the night were Tommy Leuluai, who picked up the Tackle of the Season Award for his crunching hit on Warrington’s Blake Austin in Wigan’s Challenge Cup clash away to the Wolves in May.

Under-19s starlet Nathan Wilde picked up the Edwards-Johnson Memorial Trophy Player of the Season Award. The hard-working front rower, who holds strong leadership qualities, was a key member of the victorious Under-19s group that lifted the Academy Super League trophy after beating St Helens 22-10 at the DW Stadium in September.

Strong running back row forward Matty Nicholson picked up the Under-16s Player of the Season Award. The Siddal junior, who captained the Scholarship side this year also represented England Under-16s.

After recently leaving the Community Foundation to take up a role in the Fire Service, Tommy Gallagher picked up the Peter Higginbottom recognition award. Gallagher balanced his role in the Community Department alongside a semi-professional playing career, spanning over 17 years.

Here is a list of winners from the night:

Women’s Player of the Year sponsored by Bluesky Plumbing – Victoria Molyneux
Vicky Molyneux was named Women’s Player of the Year after an outstanding campaign with the Warriors.

The Wigan forward was outstanding for Lancashire in the 2019 Women’s Origin Series and received a call up to the England Elite Player Squad earlier this season. On receiving her award, Molyneux said: “It was a great season for myself, personally, and I know the girls are working hard to get back into training to win something next year.”

Under-16s Player of the Year sponsored by Bithells Waste Management – Matty Nicholson
Strong running back row forward Matty Nicholson picked up the Under-16s Player of the Season Award.

The Siddal junior, who captained the Scholarship side this year also represented England Under-16s.

Under-19s Edwards-Johnson Memorial Trophy sponsored by Morris Quality Bakers – Nathan Wilde
Under-19s starlet Nathan Wilde picked up the Edwards-Johnson Memorial Trophy Player of the Season Award.

The hard-working front rower, who holds strong leadership qualities, was a key member of the victorious Under-19s group that lifted the Academy Super League trophy after beating St Helens 22-10 at the DW Stadium in September.

Community Player of the Year sponsored by Ian Parkinson – Zak Hardaker
Hardaker receives this award for his hard work and commitment to the community.

Wigan Warriors Community Foundation, Mike Wearden, said: “Zak has openly shared a number of his past life experiences in an inspirational, honest and positive way, openly sharing his mistakes, and the hard work and changes that he’s made to become the person, player and role model he has now become.

“Speaking at numerous community events, including a number of schools and in particular the Wigan Safeguarding Board Young People’s engagement event, his enthusiasm and strength of character has really shone through and feedback from all sources has been overwhelmingly positive towards his community contributions in 2019.”

Young Player of the Year sponsored by Evergreen Accountants – Oliver Partington & Morgan Smithies
Wigan’s 2019 season saw Head Coach Adrian Lam blood his youngsters with the forward duo of Partington and Smithies, in particular catching the eye.

Abrasive prop-forward Partington and the durable loose-forward Smithies, both, made 23 appearances this season with Smithies named as one of the Super League Young Player nominees in his break-out season.

On his debut season Smithies said: “I wasn’t expecting to make my debut, but it was a highlight for me. I was nervous before, but I knew that I needed to stay calm and do a job for the team. I’m so chuffed to have played so many games and hopefully we can kick on in 2020.”

Partington was also pleased with his strong debut season, stating: “It has gone further than I expected but getting to play with my mates week in week out was class. We need to build on this year and go further.”

Players’ Player of the Year sponsored by Morris Bakers of Coppull – Zak Hardaker
The most prestigious award of the night, as voted by his peers went to Hardaker. In his first season for the Cherry and Whites, his inspirational form at full-back won the approval of his teammates, as his effervescent personality seen him quickly become a favourite on and off the field with his teammates and the fans.

Captain, Sean O’Loughlin, presented the full-back with the award, and had nothing but praise for him.

“It gives me a massive buzz to give this award,” said O’Loughlin. “He is a fantastic bloke off the field, and the boys see that, he has fitted in massively well. His performances have been exceptional - even when we haven’t been great as a team, he has stepped up.”

Player of the Yearsponsored by Steve Woods Ltd – Zak Hardaker

This award has been voted for by a number of stakeholders during the past few weeks, including players, coaching staff, sponsors, club officials and Wigan Warriors Supporters. Hardaker edged teammates Thomas Leuluai, Sam Powell and George Williams for the Award.

“I’ve been shocked twice in a day with this and the Great Britain call up,” said Hardaker. “It is humbling but I think I can go to another level. Every fan I have spoken to have always supported me and made me settle in better.”

He continued: “I am a bit emotional and speechless, I didn’t think I would get any awards. The team has been tremendous and it has been an honour to play with them. It has been a real honour to pull on the jersey and the Club hasn’t just improved my game, it has improved my life.”

Try of the Season sponsored by Peter Dickinson Architects – Bevan French Vs Catalans Dragons

Tackle of the Season Award sponsored by MA Brickworks – Tommy Leuluai vs Warrington Wolves.

Leuluai’s crunching hit on Warrington’s Blake Austin in Wigan’s Challenge Cup clash away to the Wolves won the Tackle of the Season

For the second season in a row the legendary Kiwi half back picked up the award.

Peter Higginbottom Recognition Award – Tommy Gallagher

After recently leaving the Community Foundation to take up a role in the Fire Service, Tommy Gallagher picked up the Peter Higginbottom recognition award.

Gallagher balanced his role in the Community Department alongside a semi-professional playing career, spanning over 17 years.

Highlights include taking St John Fisher High School to the Carnegie Champion Schools Finals at Wembley on two separate occasions.

He planned and delivered the Wigan & Leigh Schools Secondary School Programme, which included a rugby for all nine-a-side competition for non-registered club players that introduced rugby league to hundreds of young people each year.

The Chairman’s Award - George Williams
The Club’s Chairman, Ian Lenagan, selected George Williams for the Award, praising him for his six years at his hometown Club.

Williams is set to leave the Warriors in 2020 to join Canberra Raiders in the NRL.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... puDgqsX.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Hardaker dominates Awards Night

Post by josie andrews »

The final award is Zak being presented with the Player of the year Award, voted by wiganwarriorsfans.com

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EG4YB7PXUAA ... name=large

He said thank you all so very much, he loves it because it has his name on it 😊🏉🍒⚪️❤️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ancientnloyal

Re: Hardaker dominates Awards Night

Post by ancientnloyal »

Thanks Josie!!
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame