Harry Smith

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Blackpool_Pie

Harry Smith

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Been selected for England Knights squad. More of him to come next season?
southportcdm

Re: Harry Smith

Post by southportcdm »

I'm starting to think that the plan is not to replace Sammut and to promote Harry next season. I'd love to think he's capable of making the jump to regular first team player next season because we need an alternative to Tommy playing at 6 or 7. It would be good if Tommy and Sam P shared the hooking role with Tommy only filling in at 6 or 7 when required. I'm expecting great things from Jackson but he'll need some help. There's no way that Harry can match Tommy in defence (who can?) but I think his positional kicking is better and hopefully he's a bit quicker.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Tommy will be first choice in the halves of that I’m sure,I don’t see Sammutt staying and the club do need to perhaps move on woods and have Smith fitting in here and there

Powell is first choice hooker that much is clear and will be for some time I’d assume
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

You also forgot to mention Ollie Partington & Morgan Smithies!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Five Wigan Warriors players have been selected for the England Knights squad.

Morgan Smithies, Oliver Partington and Harry Smith receive their first call-ups to the Knights.

Joe Greenwood and Sam Powell also included in the squad

Youngsters Morgan Smithies, Oliver Partington and Harry Smith are three of five Wigan players selected for the upcoming England Knights squad to face Jamaica this Sunday.

Second-row Joe Greenwood and Sam Powell complete the quintet of Warriors in the latest Knights 19-man squad, who will take on Jamaica at Emerald Headingley this Sunday (K.O. 3pm).

On the announcement, Paul Anderson, the Knights head coach: “I think this squad shows why it was so important for the Knights to play this autumn.

“You can see from the Great Britain squad selected yesterday how much guys like Jack Hughes and Joe Philbin benefited from going to Papua New Guinea with the Knights last year.

“The other part of the pathway is young players such as Harry Newman, Harry Smith and Morgan Smithies coming up from the Academy after outstanding performances against the Australian Schoolboys last autumn, and then building on that with their club performances this season.

“The average age of the squad is only 22, and 12 of the 19 will be hoping to win their first Knights cap. That makes it an exciting squad to be around, and with attractive opposition in Jamaica, we hope Rugby League supporters will be keen to watch our next generation in international action next weekend.”

England Knights squad:

Jack Ashworth St Helens

Josh Bowden Hull FC

Rob Butler London Broncos

Nial Evalds Salford Red Devils

Joe Greenwood Wigan Warriors

Toby King Warrington Wolves

Kruise Leeming Huddersfield Giants

Tom Lineham Warrington Wolves

Darnell McIntosh Huddersfield Giants

Greg Minikin Castleford Tigers

Harry Newman Leeds Rhinos

Mikolaj Oledzski Leeds Rhinos

Oliver Partington Wigan Warriors

Matt English Huddersfield Giants

Sam Powell Wigan Warriors

Danny Richardson St Helens

Harry Smith Wigan Warriors

Cameron Smith Leeds Rhinos

Morgan Smithies Wigan Warriors

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... 7Fe30DM.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
endoman

Post by endoman »

It certainly would be good to see some of Harry at first team level. If he's being picked for England Knights while not playing first team rugby he must be a great talent. Time to let the lad have a chance.