Lam coaching at 9s

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Lam coaching at 9s

Post by nathan_rugby »

Pretty sure I just saw Lam in the Aus dressing room before PNG game and looked like he had a pass on.

Is he involved? If so, in what capacity?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
josie andrews

Re: Lam coaching at 9s

Post by josie andrews »

Yes he is, he’s coach to Australia team
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

The way England played against New Zealand he most have coached them as well the same performance as Wigan in the play offs
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Congratulations to Coach Adrian Lam and the Kangaroos on winning the #RLWC9s!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Ditto! I think he has had an excellent first season as Wigan coach (all things considered).

Some fans believe he has had a disastrous season or underachieved, yet...….Mal Meninga has clearly approved of Lam joining the Australia set up and evidently values his input!

Would Lam be on the Australia coaching team if 2019 was such a poor season for him at Wigan?

Roll on 2020!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:14 pm

Would Lam be on the Australia coaching team if 2019 was such a poor season for him at Wigan?

Roll on 2020!
I would guess that Lam's showing for Wigan would be neither here nor there; he will have been judged on his Aussie experience with the Roosters.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Excellent first season? He lost every single important game. That is the definition of rubbish in my book. In the playoffs he was coached off the park. Twice. He’s certainly not in the top three coaches in SL.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:14 pm Ditto! I think he has had an excellent first season as Wigan coach (all things considered).

Some fans believe he has had a disastrous season or underachieved, yet...….Mal Meninga has clearly approved of Lam joining the Australia set up and evidently values his input!

Roll on 2020!
Excellent?

I have very different view of excellent that's for sure.
CheshireWarrior

Its quite evident some fans believe 2019 has been a disaster for Wigan or hasn't met with expectations and the fault lies fairly and squarely at Adrian Lams door as head coach!

Before we actually look at the results. Adrian Lam walked into a job he believed was never going to be more than 12 months (even if he won all four trophies available)! Lam had NO experience at club level as a head coach, he has worked as an assistant at the Roosters and PNG (which with respect is hardly the same as coaching in SL or NRL). That is worrying ion itself!

Regardless of players such as O'Loughlin stating its NOT a season of transition......it clearly HAS BEEN!

Whoever was going to replace Wane was always going to have immense shoes to fill and yes we could have chosen a head coach with more experience!

Lam has inherited some players who have had Shaun Wane since they where extremely young (and known no different) and senior players who have 'Wanes culture' for six seasonsish. His style and management was always going to be different and adaptation has been key!

Results at the start of the season clearly brought into question his ability and if the players actually bought into him, but since the magic weekend results have vindicated him WHICH IS STATISTICAL FACT!

I keep reading on here 'Lam has lost 10 big matches' and other comments which are crazy!

We lost to Sydney Roosters in the WCC. I've said before they are head and shoulders above any SL team and above the Cronulla side of 2017! There's a reason they are 2019 back to back NRL Premiers! If we lost at Bolton or Wembley or Old Trafford, maybe I could see why, but we didn't make it and there's no two ways about that! We lost one final!

The only game I would question is Salford (4-28). As much as I concede we looked clueless and tired, Lam can only play in effect who has in front of him and there's no doubt our squad has been depleted ALL SEASON with key injuries (no escaping this).

Be realistic, (if Lam got sacked tomorrow), who exactly could come in and make us far more superior? Who is out there? Edwards....no experience and clearly earning so much more in boring union, Wane, left of his own doing........Anyone got Garry Schofields number?

Its all well and good after one season ripping into Lam but we have to be realistic! Id be the first person to slate Lam if 2020 isn't a success because I personally expect MAJOR improvements next year!

Be interesting to read what changes (player or coaching) REALISTICALLY could happen IDEALLY?
CheshireWarrior

moto748 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:52 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:14 pm

Roll on 2020!
I would guess that Lam's showing for Wigan would be neither here nor there; he will have been judged on his Aussie experience with the Roosters.
Ha I would think your probably correct......wishful thinking on my part :lol: