Wigan winger Davies linked with Catalans

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan winger Davies linked with Catalans

Post by josie andrews »

Tom Davies is set to sign for Catalans, according to French newspaper L’Independent.

The Wigan winger has been left surplus to requirements under Adrian Lam and will sign for the Dragons in search of more first-team opportunities, despite reports linking him with Leeds.

The 22-year-old missed the last six months of the season after a nasty ankle injury, but is ready to return to action for the start of next year.

He made 63 appearances in cherry and white since his debut in 2017, scoring 31 tries.

Catalans lost winger Jodie Broughton to Halifax, with Davies now set to take his place in the squad and compete for a place on the wing with Fouad Yaha and Lewis Tierney.

https://www.totalrl.com/wigan-winger-da ... -catalans/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Wigan winger Davies linked with Catalans

Post by josie andrews »

This is what I was told four weeks ago!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Good player no doubt but I don’t know what it is about him but he never seems to catch my eye en he plays,hopefully it’s just a loan deal and a spell away from the club will do him good,still an enigma for my money
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Davies Leaves Wigan for Catalans

The 22-year old, who scored a try in the 2018 Grand Final win against Warrington Wolves at Old Trafford, made eight appearances for the Warriors in 2019 before a serious leg-injury sustained against St Helens on Good Friday saw him ruled out for the rest of the campaign. He made 62 appearances for the Cherry and Whites, crossing for 30 tries.

Wigan Warriors’ Executive Director, Kris Radlinski: “Tom approached us before his injury last year and said that he feels as though he needs regular first-team rugby, and with us having other high quality wingers fighting for a spot each week, we were honest with him by saying that we couldn’t guarantee him that. We are spoilt in this position with have Joe Burgess, Liam Marshall and with Dom Manfredi ready to return next year, we felt that it was the right thing to do to let Tom leave. This was done all amicably and Tom leaves with our very best wishes and we have also told Tom that a return to the Club is not out of the question. We wish him well.”

Speaking on leaving the Warriors, Davies said: “Leaving my hometown Club is a huge decision and one that I’ve thought about at great length and detail but I feel at the stage of my career that I need regular rugby. I’d like to thank Kris (Radlinski) for his understanding and the Club’s cooperation in releasing me from my contract to take up the opportunity with Catalans as I look to make a fresh start after my injury. I’ve been lucky to live the dream by playing in Cherry and White jersey, something that will always make me and my family immensely proud.

“I’d like to thank all the players and coaching staff for making my time at Wigan so special and making so many memories for me and lastly the fans for supporting me throughout my career so far. I’m looking forward to heading out to France and showing my best rugby again.”

Read more at https://www.wiganwarriors. ... KKOhhRH.99
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I'll be sad to see Tom go, he always gave 100% and has not reached his peak yet. I understand that we have plenty of wingers (when fit) but hope that we're trying to free up some cap space for another signing otherwise why weaken the squad before we know who's made it through pre-season in one piece?
endoman

Post by endoman »

Interesting that French not mentioned as a winger...
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Seems from the interview he was looking to be away before the injury explains why French arrived really.

Good luck to him nice to see him leave because he wants first team action and not just sit on his contract big credit to him for that
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Bit shocked by this decision (despite rumours previously mentioned). For me personally I think Tom was very worthy of his number 2 jersey!

So being realistic about 2020, Burgess was incompetent and frankly lazy in 2019 and this became more apparent with both Marshall (less experience and smaller) scoring more tries and French producing quality in such a short amount of games!

Are we presuming Marshall and French are out starting Wingers? Pound for Pound, Davies is better (as a complete package) than Marshall, who I admit gives 100%!

Must be a lot of confidence in Dom regaining his previous form before his injury (fingers crossed deserves all the luck in the world)!

So my concern is the following, if Dom struggles with injuries again, Burgess remains half-hearted and French is moved around to either FB, WING or HALVES how will this impact us?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Sorry to see Tom go, a good wingman by any standard.
Best of luck to him.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Should have been budgie for me. I think Tom was the best all round winger or maybe on par with Dom when fully fit. Very capable in defence and can finish with the best of them. Disappointed he has gone