2020 Squad numbers announced

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: 2020 Squad numbers announced

Post by Firestarter »

The thing most people on here are missing is that they are only squad numbers.They have no relevance to which position each player is picked....I never have, and never will like the squad number BS...... It was always better the old way imo
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:43 am The thing most people on here are missing is that they are only squad numbers.They have no relevance to which position each player is picked....I never have, and never will like the squad number BS...... It was always better the old way imo
It does give a very likely indication though apart from exceptions such as Hastings.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:35 pm
Firestarter wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:43 am The thing most people on here are missing is that they are only squad numbers.They have no relevance to which position each player is picked....I never have, and never will like the squad number BS...... It was always better the old way imo
It does give a very likely indication though apart from exceptions such as Hastings.
I agree, surely it highlights who Lam clearly considers first team and who are fringe players! Especially if we look at 1-13 (excluding injuries and departures) that's pretty much the team Lam relied on towards the latter of last season!

I would suspect Escare, Sammut and Nav are heading for the exit door!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:15 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:35 pm
I agree, surely it highlights who Lam clearly considers first team and who are fringe players! Especially if we look at 1-13 (excluding injuries and departures) that's pretty much the team Lam relied on towards the latter of last season!

I would suspect Escare, Sammut and Nav are heading for the exit door!
I agree,assuming there are any takers for them of course.

And yes the squad numbers are nonsense much prefer the old way
CheshireWarrior

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:48 am Bold move by Lam picking French as 6. It clearly states his intention but almost introduces additional pressure than if he announced a different number. He has obviously seen enough to think he has the ability to do it though.

Not impressed that Hankinson has got a starting Centre shirt given he couldn’t get a game there this year other than injury. We are weaker in the centres than we were last year on that basis.

Clubb getting a starting shirt is a disgrace.

Hardaker to centre - everybody needs to stop going on about it. He’s played FB his whole career and spent a small % a very long time ago at centre. He was solid there for us last year and won player of the year for us. On that basis we shouldn’t move him to accommodate a player in a position none of us have ever seen him play.
Now don’t get me wrong, French to FB and Hardaker could end up happening and could be more beneficial to the team overall. But that will be down to what Lam tries and sees in training, not what a few posters think they know. French could be a very very good attacking fullback. But how is his link up play? Under the high ball? Positioning? One on one defence? None of us know. Likewise with Zak at centre. How is he at drawing a man and passing? His defence at centre? His positional play? His sliding defence? None of us know.
I think there is a lot of logic to this post and I must say I agree with the majority!

For me, I think the question off who plays standoff in 2020 hasn't been addressed if French will play 6 next season. Many people are stating we have signed Jackson to replace George. I dont see this, I think Hastings has the flair, creativity and management we had when Adrian Lam was 7 and he was quality! Lam was never a 6 so why would Hastings be (IMO).

For me Jarrod Sammut is vastly experienced and naturally fits into the halves, could Sammut and Hastings take us around the park in 2020?

I've made no secret of the fact id love to see French playing outside Gildart but I'm presuming Lam doesn't see him as a winger? I find it amazing that Paramatta Eels used French as a successful FB/W but never at 6! The only advantage of French in the halves would be pace (that said we haven't seen him at SO yet so who knows).

I think Marshall deserves his 2 jersey but I agree, Hankinson certainly isn't starting line up for me and Tony Clubb is by A COUNTRY MILE stealing number 8! Joe Burgess needs to up his work rate massively next season too!

Youve said it yourself we are weak in the centres, I think for me Bibby could be an excellent signing and despite the fact he looked good at Salford, he will need to raise his game to cement his place!

I think Zak was 99.9% consistent at fullback in 2019, he certainly didn't 'set the world alight' but I do think he had a strong consistent season! He probably does want to be FB and because Escare was unable to compete and wont be this season too I imagine! Zak has played in finals at centre and has experience there.

I dont compare French with Coote at FB but surely trying French at FB and Zak at centre is more reliable and safe than Zak, Hankinson, French?

Either way hopefully we find the winning combination and return to OT :D
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

So Sammut could not be off-loaded then?
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
doc

Post by doc »

Seem to remember last year that either Rads or Lam gave Escare the No 1 shirt based on form and as he was the incumbent fullback. It was up to Zak to take the shirt off him. I see some of this in the current squad numbers e.g. Hanky in front of Bibby, Isa in front of Greenwood, Marshall in front of Dom etc. Surprise for me was Burgess given 10 straight away in preference to Flower.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

ian.birchall wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:55 pm So Sammut could not be off-loaded then?
I’d be amazed if Sammutt stays to be honest he seems to me to be in the room marked exit alongside Escare etc
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

ancientnloyal wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:31 pm Numbers wise we are looking heavy imo still too many bodies in the squad. I’d expect two or three departures one permanently and a few on loan I think.
I am not quite sure about that. We will be running a reserves team and the u19s is now u18s so I am surprised about how few youngsters have come through this year. Does anyone know if the lads who would have gone into the u19s have been kept on. One other point is about The Capital Challenge. Will it be an u18th or a reserves fixture?
CheshireWarrior

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:49 pm
ian.birchall wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:55 pm So Sammut could not be off-loaded then?
I’d be amazed if Sammutt stays to be honest he seems to me to be in the room marked exit alongside Escare etc
Working off squad numbers and lack of appearances last season, I also think it's very unlikely Sammut will feature!

I think he has alot of flare about him personally but he was never going to start over George last season!

French didn't play 6 at Paramatta and for me I think it's risky and I think if Bibby or Hanky struggle, Zak will play centre and try French at 1.