2020 Squad numbers announced

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

2020 Squad numbers announced

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors have announced their squad numbers for the upcoming 2020 season.

George Burgess will wear the No10 jersey in 2020, with fellow offseason recruit Jackson Hastings named in his favoured No31 shirt that he played in with such distinction to win Man of Steel in 2019. Mitch Clark has been handed the No22 jersey and Jake Bibby will wear the No23 shirt.

After an impressive debut season for Wigan, Zak Hardaker will wear the No1 jersey, with other notable changes seeing Bevan French wear the No6 jersey, Willie Isa in the number 11 shirt, Liam Marshall in the No2 jersey and Chris Hankinson in the No3 jersey.

Young trio Morgan Smithies (No16) Oliver Partington (No17) and Liam Byrne (No20) have all been handed new squad numbers and new recruit Kai Pearce-Paul has been given the No34 squad number.

Wigan Warriors 2020 Squad Numbers
image: https://www.wiganwarriors.com/admin/res ... 0-02-1.jpg

1 Zak Hardaker
2 Liam Marshall
3 Chris Hankinson
4 Oliver Gildart
5 Joe Burgess
6 Bevan French
7 Thomas Leuluai
8 Tony Clubb
9 Sam Powell
10 George Burgess
11 Willie Isa
12 Liam Farrell
13 Sean O’Loughlin
14 Ben Flower
15 Joe Greenwood
16 Morgan Smithies
17 Oliver Partington
18 Warriors Fans
19 Joe Bullock
20 Liam Byrne
21 Dom Manfredi
22 Mitch Clark
23 Jake Bibby
24 Morgan Escare
25 Jarrod Sammut
26 Romain Navarrete
27 Jake Shorrocks
28 Harry Smith
29 Jack Wells
30 Ethan Havard
31 Jackson Hastings
32 Amir Bourouh
33 Joe Shorrocks
34 Kai Pearce-Paul
35 Sam Halsall

The 2020 home kit is now available ONLINE by clicking HERE. Alternatively, fans can visit Warriors World in Wigan’s Grand Arcade. for directions and contact details, click HERE.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... Ah7U6kW.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
CheshireWarrior

Re: 2020 Squad numbers announced

Post by CheshireWarrior »

6. Bevan French
21. Dom Manfredi
1. Zak Hardaker
4. Oliver Gildart
5. Joe Burgess
25. Jarrod Sammut
31. Jackson Hastings
17. Oliver Partington
9. Sam Powell
10. George Burgess
15. Joe Greenwood
12. Liam Farrell (c)
16. Morgan Smithies

7. Tommy Leuluai
19. Joe Bullock
20. Liam Byrne
22. Mitch Clark
shawxshark

Post by shawxshark »

My thoughts exactly with French being named 6, he’s not going to play wing, so think he will go 1 and Zak will play centre, how hankinson has got a staring squad number I’ll never know he’s always average at best, Bibby or Zak will play centre before hank I think, the 3 shirts probably just to keep him happy, but I’d of thought he will play reserves most of season, only covering for injuries
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I think they’ll give french a go in the halves,Hardaker isn’t a centre so why play him there is beyond me,but squad numbers are utterly meaningless in the grand scheme of things
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:11 am I think they’ll give french a go in the halves,Hardaker isn’t a centre so why play him there is beyond me,but squad numbers are utterly meaningless in the grand scheme of things
I'm hoping your correct regarding squad numbers lol. I think some players are well worth promotion to a starting 13 squad number and others have a lot to prove!

I dont think French will play wing and I think given the right centre to play with (Gildart), I think he would score tries for fun week in week out!

For me playing Zak at centre depends on how Bibby shapes up. He has played centre before for Leeds where as French has never played 6 but we have Sammut who could naturally fill in there and more importantly has vast experience!

Early days yet though lol!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:35 am
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:11 am I think they’ll give french a go in the halves,Hardaker isn’t a centre so why play him there is beyond me,but squad numbers are utterly meaningless in the grand scheme of things
I'm hoping your correct regarding squad numbers lol. I think some players are well worth promotion to a starting 13 squad number and others have a lot to prove!

I dont think French will play wing and I think given the right centre to play with (Gildart), I think he would score tries for fun week in week out!

For me playing Zak at centre depends on how Bibby shapes up. He has played centre before for Leeds where as French has never played 6 but we have Sammut who could naturally fill in there and more importantly has vast experience!

Early days yet though lol!
I agree with you over Bibby for me when Wigan signed him I took notice of him and was quietly impressed by him,now I’ll grant you a lot of that could be down to Watson and his tactics and style of play we shall see.

I just don’t buy this move Hardaker to centre train of thought,while all and sundry howled from the roofs at how good good Coote was for me Hardaker was miles better we all know his issues and yes it did take time for him to get sorted but when he did his defensive work was excellent,yes he has played at centre but for me he’s a fullback.

For me French is a winger,now I’ll grant you I’ve had and have my doubts over his signing he does have speed though as always it’ll be interesting,assuming they catch him of course,how teams deal with his pace next season.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Numbers wise we are looking heavy imo still too many bodies in the squad. I’d expect two or three departures one permanently and a few on loan I think.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

shawxshark wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:59 pm My thoughts exactly with French being named 6, he’s not going to play wing, so think he will go 1 and Zak will play centre, how hankinson has got a staring squad number I’ll never know he’s always average at best, Bibby or Zak will play centre before hank I think, the 3 shirts probably just to keep him happy, but I’d of thought he will play reserves most of season, only covering for injuries
Quite possibly zak could move to centre but he improved thru the season and made fb his position
Hankinson is relatively new to SL but is more than capable of improving in his 2nd season, he fully deserves his shirt had a quite a few highlights last year, to say he's average is a bit harsh, the club obviously dont think so
Our halves combination is interesting to see who is going to be our most creative pair, maybe with tommy & sam sharing 9
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Bold move by Lam picking French as 6. It clearly states his intention but almost introduces additional pressure than if he announced a different number. He has obviously seen enough to think he has the ability to do it though.

Not impressed that Hankinson has got a starting Centre shirt given he couldn’t get a game there this year other than injury. We are weaker in the centres than we were last year on that basis.

Clubb getting a starting shirt is a disgrace.

Hardaker to centre - everybody needs to stop going on about it. He’s played FB his whole career and spent a small % a very long time ago at centre. He was solid there for us last year and won player of the year for us. On that basis we shouldn’t move him to accommodate a player in a position none of us have ever seen him play.
Now don’t get me wrong, French to FB and Hardaker could end up happening and could be more beneficial to the team overall. But that will be down to what Lam tries and sees in training, not what a few posters think they know. French could be a very very good attacking fullback. But how is his link up play? Under the high ball? Positioning? One on one defence? None of us know. Likewise with Zak at centre. How is he at drawing a man and passing? His defence at centre? His positional play? His sliding defence? None of us know.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

shawxshark wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:59 pm How hankinson has got a staring squad number I’ll never know he’s always average at best,
Must agree with you BUT looking back at the 2013 season, we had Jack Hughes at 3 I'm sure Hankinson will put in a better show than Hughes although he may never get to represent GB at centre. Sometimes it needs a player to move on to play his best rugby and though he's here as a centre, I think he's destined for the second row eventually.