Starting XII and Interchange

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
First Try Tickle

Re: Starting XII and Interchange

Post by First Try Tickle »

I'm really hoping Greenwood has a big season and cements his place in the second row.

I know Isa is Mr Dependable, but I think it showed in the last 2 games he's not quite good enough.

I'm also hoping Bullock and Partington will start pushing Flower and Clubb out of the team, but really good to have some proper competition in the props.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

bertina wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:57 am
ancientnloyal wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:01 pm nice topic, but with Manfredi I’d rather ease him in this year I know he had injury issues and as a professional sports team we shouldn’t have allowances to do this but if managed correctly and his up changes he can grow to be a GB winger at least for a few years. He is talent and worth keeping and being patient with.

As for Hardaker to centre for example I’m of the opinion that we need to keep Zak happy first and foremost he is a genuine quality character and keeping him on side will benefit Wigan for a few years to come

Smithies to captain

Hanley Bell Farrell OLoughlin... decades... 80s 90s 00s 10s... not many captains we should build a new era around this kid.
Smithies to captain ??, don't talk daft.
The kid needs to concentrate on developing his game to its full potential. The last thing we need to do is give him added pressure. I have no doubt he will be a future captain, but not yet.
Agreed they gave Lockers Captain too early and it effected his game - i would like to see a return to the leadership style group we had under madge, failing that i think Powell is the next obvious choice for captain. Regardless of what you think of him in terms of playing ability he isnt going anywhere and is probably the best candidate for the role outside of lockers
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:18 pm
bertina wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:57 am
ancientnloyal wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:01 pm nice topic, but with Manfredi I’d rather ease him in this year I know he had injury issues and as a professional sports team we shouldn’t have allowances to do this but if managed correctly and his up changes he can grow to be a GB winger at least for a few years. He is talent and worth keeping and being patient with.

As for Hardaker to centre for example I’m of the opinion that we need to keep Zak happy first and foremost he is a genuine quality character and keeping him on side will benefit Wigan for a few years to come

Smithies to captain

Hanley Bell Farrell OLoughlin... decades... 80s 90s 00s 10s... not many captains we should build a new era around this kid.
Smithies to captain ??, don't talk daft.
The kid needs to concentrate on developing his game to its full potential. The last thing we need to do is give him added pressure. I have no doubt he will be a future captain, but not yet.
Agreed they gave Lockers Captain too early and it effected his game - i would like to see a return to the leadership style group we had under madge, failing that i think Powell is the next obvious choice for captain. Regardless of what you think of him in terms of playing ability he isnt going anywhere and is probably the best candidate for the role outside of lockers
If you could get in the changing rooms before, during or after a game, the people who work behind the scenes there say his talks to the team are really inspirational & he is doing more & more.

I’ve said for a while that he will be the next captain.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Looking at it realistically, it surely must be far too early for Smithies to be placed under pressure to succeed one of the clubs greatest skippers!
For me, id rotate between Farrell, O'Loughlin and Powell.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I really hope lockers final season is a stormer, so many people writing him off.
He will 100% be in the starting 17 minus injury.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:38 pm I really hope lockers final season is a stormer, so many people writing him off.
He will 100% be in the starting 17 minus injury.
I agree! Imagine winning the treble next season! What a fitting way to send him out :D

I dont actually think Lockers was poor last season, I sincerely believe 2019 was the season that exploited his age and I felt he just looked physically incapable at times (which is understandable) rather than poor.

Hopefully being excluded from GB will have a positive impact on his body for one final push.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Speaking personally I would prefer a starting XIII.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Starting Squad
Hardaker,
Marshall, Hankinson, Gildart (Bibby) Burgess.
French, Hastings,
Burgess, Powell, Bullock,
Farrell, Greenwood,
O'Loughlin.
Leuluai. Clark, Flower, Byrne.

Having Burgess, Bullock & Greenwood gives our pack real size from the start. Clark & Byrne are big men to have coming off the bench.
Looking forward to it.

BTW when are the pre season warm up games usually announced?
bertina

Post by bertina »

My first choice 17 when all fit would be:

Hardaker
Manfredi
Bibby
Gildart
Burgess
French
Hastings
Burgess