Coach 2021?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Re: Coach 2021?

Post by southportcdm »

I'm sure that Sean isn't being considered as a first team coach just yet but it would be reassuring to think that he's being considered and trained up for the role eventually. If so then why not organise some stints with NRL teams (Wests sand Souths spring to mind) to pick up as wide a range of experience as possible. In addition, I'd imagine that it must be a tricky adjustment to make if you become the coach of a team where you've been a team mate and friend of most of the players. Some time away could be beneficial. I'm still interested to see what will happen on the coaching front for 2021 and think that, at the moment, plans must be fluid and dependent on how well Lammy does this season.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

southportcdm wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:30 am I'm sure that Sean isn't being considered as a first team coach just yet but it would be reassuring to think that he's being considered and trained up for the role eventually. If so then why not organise some stints with NRL teams (Wests sand Souths spring to mind) to pick up as wide a range of experience as possible. In addition, I'd imagine that it must be a tricky adjustment to make if you become the coach of a team where you've been a team mate and friend of most of the players. Some time away could be beneficial. I'm still interested to see what will happen on the coaching front for 2021 and think that, at the moment, plans must be fluid and dependent on how well Lammy does this season.
I agree an NRL stint would be advantageous wonder if Raiders would have something given the heavy English influence
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

One name, Kieron Cunningham.
Lockers should look to develop his coaching skills, full time, and away from the first team.
jobo

Post by jobo »

The booze hound wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:35 pm One name, Kieron Cunningham.
Lockers should look to develop his coaching skills, full time, and away from the first team.
Think you are spot on with this.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

jobo wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:28 pm
Away from the club as well
jobo

Post by jobo »

medlocke wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:04 pm
How can we assess how good he is as a coach if he's away from the club?

I'd suggest that he spends a season in Australia, with a coach like Trent Robinson as a mentor.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

jobo wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:54 pm

I'd suggest that he spends a season in Australia, with a coach like Trent Robinson as a mentor.
How can we assess how good he is as a coach if he's in Australia?
jobo

Post by jobo »

medlocke wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:04 pm

By away from the club, do you mean start his coaching career at a different club?

If so, I wouldn't agree with that. Reckon he should get a coaching contract with Wigan and at the start, spend time with a successful coach who has spent time in the super league as well as NRL.

SOL has been the best player of his generation and his knowledge of RL is profound. Managing/coaching a first team though is a very different beast, especially Wigan and he will need all the help he can get to reach his potential.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Are qualities or achievements as a player any guide to coaching ability?

Examples to consider:

Shaun Wane, John Monie, Danny Ward, Brian McDermott, Wayne Bennett, Alex Ferguson, Graeme Souness.

I rest my case.

(Not saying Lockers won't make it. I am saying his chances are totally unpredictable and totally unconnected to his playing ability.)
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

jobo wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:26 pm
medlocke wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:04 pm

By away from the club, do you mean start his coaching career at a different club?

If so, I wouldn't agree with that. Reckon he should get a coaching contract with Wigan and at the start, spend time with a successful coach who has spent time in the super league as well as NRL.

SOL has been the best player of his generation and his knowledge of RL is profound. Managing/coaching a first team though is a very different beast, especially Wigan and he will need all the help he can get to reach his potential.
Yes, If he proves he is good enough we can then bring him back into the fold