Two Wigan Warriors squad players set for move to Leigh Centurions

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Two Wigan Warriors squad players set for move to Leigh Centurions

Post by josie andrews »

Two members of the Wigan first-team squad are set to spend 2020 at Leigh.

Fringe players Josh Woods and Craig Mullen are expected to play for the Centurions next season.

A picture posted on social media showed the duo – both under contract with the Warriors – in pre-season training with the Centurions’ senior squad.

Their departure from Wigan won’t come as a surprise, given both Woods and Mullen were not given squad numbers when the list was revealed.

Woods spent the entire 2019 campaign on loan at Leigh and is set for another spell.

The halfback – who played 10 matches for Wigan in 2018 – may have struggled for first-team action if he stayed, given Jackson Hastings, Thomas Leuluai, Bevan French, Jake Shorrocks, Jarrod Sammut and Harry Smith are also in Adrian Lam’s squad.

Sammut has also been linked with a move away from the Warriors, just a year after signing from London, though he has been given a squad number – 25.

Mullen, 21, is a full-back or winger who failed to break into the Wigan side under Lam.

An England academy international, he made his debut under Shaun Wane in summer 2018 on the wing and went on to play another match as a bench-hooker later that season.

French full-back Morgan Escare, who spent the end of last season on loan at Wakefield, is also expected to depart before the start of the next campaign.

He is in training with Wigan as he recovers from a shoulder operation.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/two-wi ... 1-10120092
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
CheshireWarrior

Re: Two Wigan Warriors squad players set for move to Leigh Centurions

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Is this permanent or just for loan? Would have thought Woods might have been in consideration for this season but obviously not as he has no squad number.

For me I dont think Sammut played enough to warrant either praise or criticism in 2019 but, I do think he had signs of flare and creativity in his game (when playing) and I think he is worth a punt at stand off next season?

I think Morgan Escare is very consistent but has always been slightly outclassed by his rival players, (Tomkins, Hardaker).
I think Morgan deserved 1 for 2019 and the reality was if Zak got sacked or 'went off the rails' FB was covered! Zak had a very solid 2019 at FB and rightly so as Escare was evidently frozen out at FB hence playing wing and Sarge as back up FB!
I cant see Morgan featuring at all in 2020, not just because of his squad number but our recruitment and retention suggests he has fallen down the pecking order considerably!
I admire the guy for stating he is willing 'to fight for his place' but I think it will do more harm than good to his own career to stay at Wigan!