Let's get Owen!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Let's get Owen!

Post by Caboosegg »

Mike wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:25 pm It's no risk, he'd pay for himself and I'm sure we could get Saracans to pay for most of his salary under the table whilst we look after him for them. Stick him on the wing and have him take all the conversions.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
How would he pay for himself? I cant see him increasing crowds massively.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

And which winger would you leave out, to make way for him.

Not that I know if Farrell has any great pace for this position ?

Or was it all a wind up ?
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Why would he want to come to Wigan?

Never in a million years!

From our perspective he would be worthwhile picking for his kicking, but he would take time to adjust to do himself justice.

Anyway never going to happen :)
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Caboosegg wrote:
Mike wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:25 pm It's no risk, he'd pay for himself and I'm sure we could get Saracans to pay for most of his salary under the table whilst we look after him for them. Stick him on the wing and have him take all the conversions.

How would he pay for himself? I cant see him increasing crowds massively.
Bet he would. Think of the national media attention. SBW and Owen Farrel in the SL! Would Maurice Lindsay have passed up a chance to entertain and stoke public interest at a time when the game needs those things more than ever? Even the hard core are losing interest. Who cares if we win if noones watching? The game needs appeal and star names give it that. We should jump at the chance and who cares which winger is dropped - who did Frano replace on the wing? This is an entertainment business not an old boys club.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

[quote=Mike .
Who did Frano replace on the wing? This is an entertainment business not an old boys club.

[/quote]

Dave Marshall, Liam's old man, that's who.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Let's go for it, Mike you have changed my mind
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

bill.inger wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:09 am
Mike . wrote: Who did Frano replace on the wing? This is an entertainment business not an old boys club.

Dave Marshall, Liam's old man, that's who.
He didn't replace him in the sense Dave Marshall was dropped. DM's career was ended in 1990/91 season (the season Frano arrived) by a knee injury. We don't know how Monie (who wasn't keen on signing Frano anyway) would have fitted him in the team had DM's career not ended.
Richymac

Post by Richymac »

Have very few reasons for signing Owen other than he can tackle hard, run some great angles and his passing/kicking game is great. (We have players who can do these things just as well, apart from the goal kicking)

Don’t think he would go too well in RL without being given a pre-season and time to bed in. So not worth us going down that route as he would only be here for a season on loan.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

We don’t need him.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I would see Owen as a 1-2 year stop gap in the 13 shirt between lockers leaving an smithies coming of age
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure