Let's get Owen!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Let's get Owen!

Post by Mike »

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/why-wi ... 1-10212347

Its happening!

I don't like the implication that IL thinks the crowds have to return *before* we get new signings. That's not how it works I'm afraid.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Mike wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:59 pm https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/why-wi ... 1-10212347

Its happening!

I don't like the implication that IL thinks the crowds have to return *before* we get new signings. That's not how it works I'm afraid.
it does though, with the signings we have made this year if we don't see an increase why would he sign more than needed. its a 2 way street fans need to support the club to see if survive, and i'd put a bet on those who claim they will only return when we get a decent signing will find another excuse not to return when we have one.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Mike wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:59 pm https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/why-wi ... 1-10212347

Its happening!

No it isn't! :lol:

If it did happen, it would be the biggest coup for RL EVER.

"England RU Captain signs for Wigan RL".

Never happened when RU was amateur, certainly not going to happen now.

Never in a million years!! ;)
bertina

Post by bertina »

medlocke wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:37 pmLet's not
Agreed.!!!
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

As much as I admire Owen, he's not quick enough to play 6 (or centre) and not big enough to play 13 in league at the top level. After a period of adjustment, he'd do a good job but wouldn't be worth the massive wages that we'd have to offer. It would look great for RL to grab the England RU captain but I think we'd all be a bit disappointed with what he'd have to offer.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:20 am

Its happening!

it does though, with the signings we have made this year if we don't see an increase why would he sign more than needed. its a 2 way street fans need to support the club to see if survive, and i'd put a bet on those who claim they will only return when we get a decent signing will find another excuse not to return when we have one.
You are spot on there. We have read the gripes about the lack of quality discouraging fans from attending, IFL has put that right and as a consequence he needs to be backed by supporters contributing their hard earned cash. If we want a team to compete and be successful at the highest level then we need to vote with our feet. The only other thing I would add, and I concur with Dave O here, is that IFL should try and get more investment coming into the club.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:14 pm

Its happening!

You are spot on there. We have read the gripes about the lack of quality discouraging fans from attending, IFL has put that right and as a consequence he needs to be backed by supporters contributing their hard earned cash. If we want a team to compete and be successful at the highest level then we need to vote with our feet. The only other thing I would add, and I concur with Dave O here, is that IFL should try and get more investment coming into the club.
To be fair IL hasn't really brought any top signings in has he, We've got an ageing Burgess brother, An NRL reject in Hastings, Another project signing in French, A solid centre in Bibby and Mitch Clark, Not exactly ster studded is it, Don't get me wrong I'm happy with these signing but would have been happier with a few higher profile players, High profile players put bums in seats, How many more season tickets would we have sold if IL had managed to get Thurston for one season, I reckon it would have been a good amount
bertina

Post by bertina »

medlocke wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:42 pm

To be fair IL hasn't really brought any top signings in has he, We've got an ageing Burgess brother, An NRL reject in Hastings, Another project signing in French, A solid centre in Bibby and Mitch Clark, Not exactly ster studded is it, Don't get me wrong I'm happy with these signing but would have been happier with a few higher profile players, High profile players put bums in seats, How many more season tickets would we have sold if IL had managed to get Thurston for one season, I reckon it would have been a good amount
What a load of c- -p Meds.
Current MOS, current international prop, and a flyer what looks like he could be anything.
I agree 100% with SEFC, people should stop whining and start turning up at the turnstiles. IFL has done his bit, it’s time for our so called fans to do theirs.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

bertina wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:59 pm
medlocke wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:42 pm

What a load of c- -p Meds.
Current MOS, current international prop, and a flyer what looks like he could be anything.
I agree 100% with SEFC, people should stop whining and start turning up at the turnstiles. IFL has done his bit, it’s time for our so called fans to do theirs.
I never said they weren't quality players, Just not the cream of the crop, If I was a resident of the greater Wigan area I probably would have bought a season ticket because of these signings, But i'm not so I won't be, Now if we had signed Thurston for 1 last season, Warea-Hargreaves, SBW & Brad Dwyer I would have been on the phone in a shot for a ticket, To see players of such awesome quality would certainly be worth it
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Look Meds, things have changed recently as Super League have introduced a salary cap.
At around £2m a year no club could bring in those players and stay under the cap.
There have been previous threads about the salary cap, a look at them will let you know how it works.