Low key opener?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wiganer Ted

Re: Low key opener?

Post by Wiganer Ted »

DaveO,

If you're going to Wigan from Chester have you tried the M53, the Wallasey Tunnel then through Bootle, Netherley to Aintree and M58 to Orrell?
I come on at Jct 2 M53 and go through the Wallasey Tunnel. Takes about 40 mins from the tunnel to the DW.
There's not a lot of traffic.

Might be worth a try if you haven't been that way before.
bertina

Post by bertina »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:05 am The fans that say they stopped because of lack of signings will still not turn up.
I think your right. For some people it’s just one excuse after another.
If you can’t afford it that’s one thing, but saying you stopped going due to lack of investment in the squad is no longer a valid excuse. We have what looks to me like a very exciting squad. Let’s turn up and enjoy it.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Up at 4am Friday... 20km cycle commute. Can’t wait for Thursday!!
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
bertina

Post by bertina »

ancientnloyal wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:47 pm Up at 4am Friday... 20km cycle commute. Can’t wait for Thursday!!
Don’t get me wrong ancient, I understand perfectly the problems of Thursday night games. I was directing my comments at the perpetual moaners who make excuses for not attending games no matter when they are played.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

It's Thursday night okay, but it's Warrington, a 'Marquee' fixture and a local derby. Too many excuses though not to be there.
Lancs CC had a midweek game last summer after the school holidays, and still had a full house, and that was cricket. Don't let the Wire fans outshout us, let's give a big welcome and a great atmosphere to our new players at the start of a new season.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Nezza Faz wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:41 pm It's Thursday night okay, but it's Warrington, a 'Marquee' fixture and a local derby. Too many excuses though not to be there.
Lancs CC had a midweek game last summer after the school holidays, and still had a full house, and that was cricket. Don't let the Wire fans outshout us, let's give a big welcome and a great atmosphere to our new players at the start of a new season.
Unfortunately I dont think many have the same idea. I dont get to games as much as I'd like. I work shifts and generally come up with my father when we both can. He actually tried to use the excuse that it would be raining one game we were both free. I made him give his head a wobble and told him I'd drive and get him a pie which thankfully worked. However it is noticeable over the last 5 or 6 years, the attendances are dropping more and more. Especially Thursday games that are on sky.
For me, nothing beats going to a game. I've been to hundreds of games but it never gets old, especially under the lights for a night game.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wiganer Ted wrote:DaveO,

If you're going to Wigan from Chester have you tried the M53, the Wallasey Tunnel then through Bootle, Netherley to Aintree and M58 to Orrell?
I come on at Jct 2 M53 and go through the Wallasey Tunnel. Takes about 40 mins from the tunnel to the DW.
There's not a lot of traffic.

Might be worth a try if you haven't been that way before.
That idea never entered my head nor has the sat nav traffic routing application ever suggested it would be quicker. I will have a look.

I think the only time I have ever crossed the Mersey was coming home from a game when the m6 was closed and I ended up going via St Helens, Widnes and over Runcorn bridge. Nightmare, enemy territory and slow.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

bertina wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:30 pm
ancientnloyal wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:47 pm Up at 4am Friday... 20km cycle commute. Can’t wait for Thursday!!
Don’t get me wrong ancient, I understand perfectly the problems of Thursday night games. I was directing my comments at the perpetual moaners who make excuses for not attending games no matter when they are played.
I wasn’t having an opinion on any argument stated on this thread just what awaits me nice and early Friday. Hope we win though!

Thursday isn’t good for my dad as he has band practice (he’s in a band)
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:38 pm while I appreciate everyone situation is different, I personally don't understand the I have work the next morning argument.

I attend Thursday matches, I don't get home until about 11 - 11.30 depending on how long it takes to get off the carpark and have to get into work for 7-8 am the next day while having 2 young children to potentially have to sort out in the morning (if they are up early enough).

that isn't me saying oh look at me but more it boils down to how much you want to go, do the crowds that turn up to watch Man U midweek have the same issue? they can't all not be working the next day.

that said I sadly will miss this Thursday as I allowed my wife to go instead as she's a Warrington supporter :? and you do have to have pity on them :D:D
I get what youre saying and you are correct and truth be told this match means nothing so the desire/attend ratio is too ill weighted

for example im up at 6am for work, there'd be little point me going home after work as id walk in the door and id have time to get changed and be straight back out so say i stayed at work till 6pm went and got a quick snack and change then travelled to the game got home from the game with the traffic around 11:30 like you say - that means so ill have been out of the house nearly 18hrs by the time i get home probably very tired. Then im up at 6am again for a full days work the following day and as i barely see my mrs and baby boy in the morning it means to attend a thursday game i dont get to see my wife or child properly for 36hrs - is it worth it for a match that will have absolutely no relevance on the season?

Especially when you consider its January i like many are broke its cold and its on sky which im already paying for
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I’ll be there Thursday or whether it’s on Sky or not.

I’ll also be there home & away except for the two away games to Catalan & Toronto 😊🏉🍒⚪️♥️ #WiganWarriorsAlways ♥️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan