Wigan extend Byrne deal

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan extend Byrne deal

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors prop-forward Liam Byrne has signed a new four-year deal to remain at the DW Stadium until 2023.

The 20-year-old forward broke into Wigan’s first team in 2019 under Adrian Lam and went onto make 14 appearances for the Cherry and Whites in his debut season.

Warriors Head Coach, Adrian Lam: “Liam is showing real promise and we were very pleased with how well he equipped himself last season. He’s an imposing young man, tough and has an extremely impressive work-ethic which we believe will put him in good stead for the years ahead. He still has plenty to work on - he is by no means the finished article - but he’s in a great place to kick-on and we’re delighted to see him put pen to paper on this new deal.”

On his contract extension, Byrne said: “I’m very happy to sign a new-deal with Wigan. Ever since I’ve been at the Club I’ve improved as a player and I’m lucky to have so many great coaches and senior players around me to help me develop my game. I know that the hard work is ahead of me but I’m excited by the challenge.”

After spending pre-season with the first team, Byrne made his Wigan debut at the end of February and scored his first try for the Club against Hull FC at the DW Stadium. Internationally, he recently featured for Ireland in World Cup qualifier matches at the end of 2019 – helping his side to reach the 2021 tournament with a victory over Italy.

In 2020, he was given the No.20 squad number for Wigan Warriors and could feature against Warrington Wolves in Thursday evening’s Betfred Super League home opener at the DW Stadium.

The Betfred Super League is finally back! Wigan Warriors host fierce rivals Warrington Wolves at the DW Stadium on Thursday (K.O. 7:45pm), as rugby league returns for 2020. There’s no love lost between these two giants of the game and WHAT a way to kick-off the new season!

We need your support as it promises to be another blockbuster encounter between two of Super League’s title chasers. Catch Steve Prescott Man of Steel Jackson Hastings and powerhouse prop George Burgess in the Cherry and White for the first time and purchase your ticket today by clicking HERE, visiting the DW Stadium Ticket Office or calling 01942 311111.

For more information on tickets for this game, click HERE.

There’s still time to grab your 2020 Season Ticket too! Pay upfront or spread the cost across 8 payments! For more info, click HERE.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2020 ... byrne-deal
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ancientnloyal

Re: Wigan extend Byrne deal

Post by ancientnloyal »

So the writing must be in the rumoured wall for Flower... Navarette just going too on loan must be planned
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Good player but has bags of potential time to look to the future now
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

He played in Faz's game and looked huge.
Good signing by the club for four years and a good deal for Liam too.
bertina

Post by bertina »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:16 pm Good player but has bags of potential time to look to the future now
Another good bit of business by the club.
IFL is playing a blinder at the moment.
No doubt some of our usual moaners will find something negative about it.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

bertina wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:02 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:16 pm Good player but has bags of potential time to look to the future now
Another good bit of business by the club.
IFL is playing a blinder at the moment.
No doubt some of our usual moaners will find something negative about it.
I know but im not sure why Lenegan is doing well this close season,as for Byrne goes id say he's on course to be a cracking players never try to heap praise on young lads but he is a fine player in the making in my humble opinion.