21-man squad vs Warrington

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

21-man squad vs Warrington

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam names the 21-man Wigan Warriors squad to face Warrington Wolves on Thursday 30th January.

George Burgess, Jackson Hastings and Jake Bibby included and could make their debuts on Thursday night.

Wigan Warriors vs Warrington Wolves, Thurs 30th January, K.O. 7:45pm.

Head Coach Adrian Lam has named the Wigan Warriors 21-man squad to face Warrington Wolves this Thursday in the 2020 Betfred Super League opener (K.O. 7:45pm).

The Warriors will host Steve Price’s men at the DW Stadium in the blockbuster opener of the new season.

2019 Steve Prescott Man of Steel Jackson Hastings, George Burgess and Jake Bibby are all included in the squad and could make their debuts in front of a home crowd on Thursday night.

Injuries

Despite making his return to action in the final pre-season friendly vs Leigh Centurions last week, winger Dom Manfredi is deemed not quite ready for a return to Betfred Super League action.

Speaking on Monday, Adrian Lam said: “It is a bit too soon for now, we will probably give him another two weeks then he will be available for the Toronto game.”

The Head Coach also ruled out Oliver Gildart (dislocated shoulder) and Ben Flower, who is returning to match fitness, for selection this week.

Wigan Warriors 21-man squad vs Warrington Wolves
1 Zak Hardaker

2 Liam Marshall

3 Chris Hankinson

5 Joe Burgess

6 Bevan French

7 Thomas Leuluai

8 Tony Clubb

9 Sam Powell

10 George Burgess

11 Willie Isa

12 Liam Farrell

13 Sean O’Loughlin

15 Joe Greenwood

16 Morgan Smithies

17 Oliver Partington

19 Joe Bullock

20 Liam Byrne

23 Jake Bibby

28 Harry Smith

30 Ethan Havard

31 Jackson Hastings

New RFL Squad declaration ruling

Instead of teams being required to name a 19-player squad by noon two days before each fixture, teams will now be required to name a 21-player squad at that time.

But for each player from outside that 21 who is then called into the team’s 17-player match-day squad, that team will lose one of the eight interchanges permitted for all fixtures in the Betfred Super League, Championship, League 1, the Coral Challenge Cup and the AB Sundecks 1895 Cup.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2020 ... warrington
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
widdenoldboy

Re: 21-man squad vs Warrington

Post by widdenoldboy »

Likely team?

6 Bevan French
2 Liam Marshall
1 Zak Hardaker
3 Chris Hankinson
5 Joe Burgess
31 Jackson Hastings
7 Thomas Leuluai
19 Joe Bullock
9 Sam Powell
10 George Burgess
11 Willie Isa
12 Liam Farrell
13 Sean O’Loughlin

15 Joe Greenwood
16 Morgan Smithies
17 Oliver Partington
20 Liam Byrne

8 Tony Clubb
23 Jake Bibby
28 Harry Smith
30 Ethan Havard
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

I expect Bibby to play
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I think Bibby will start.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

What’s the deal with Mitch Clarke? I mean there were big question marks over a player who couldn’t hold down a spot in any club he went to - but then dada told us he would be the best in super league - yet it seems true to form he’s already out of favour

I mean he looks the part size wise so what is it about him that is holding him back? I’ve not seen him play for a while so anyone who watched the friendliest got any comments?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I think Bibby and Clubb will start instead of Hanky and Bullock. I think the subs will be Partington, Byrne, Smithies and one of Bullock, Greenwood or Smith.

As for Clark, I think there’s quite a few in front of him, and he didn’t show a lot against Leeds.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

First Try Tickle wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:17 pm I think Bibby and Clubb will start instead of Hanky and Bullock. I think the subs will be Partington, Byrne, Smithies and one of Bullock, Greenwood or Smith.

As for Clark, I think there’s quite a few in front of him, and he didn’t show a lot against Leeds.
He played well at Leigh.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:24 pm
First Try Tickle wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:17 pm I think Bibby and Clubb will start instead of Hanky and Bullock. I think the subs will be Partington, Byrne, Smithies and one of Bullock, Greenwood or Smith.

He played well at Leigh.
Thats not what i got told josie
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:48 am

He played well at Leigh.
Thats not what i got told josie
Match is on Wigan TV, its worth a watch.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
pedro

Post by pedro »

He played well at Leigh.
He didn’t, made very little yards and was hammered. Our young lads were making plenty of yards after contact and he doesn’t. Seemed very unfit, big lad but that’s about it.