Sam Burgess at the DW

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Sam Burgess at the DW

Post by josie andrews »

Sam Burgess speaks to Wigan Warriors ahead of Thursday’s Betfred Super League opener against Warrington Wolves.

Burgess will be in attendance at the DW Stadium on Thursday night to show his support to younger brother George who is set to make his Wigan debut.

Burgess: “Wigan and Warrington is a big game and I think there’s a bit of hatred between the two teams, so hopefully that shows on the field and we’ll see a good game.”

Rugby league legend Sam Burgess says he is bringing ‘around 25 people’ from Yorkshire to the DW Stadium on Thursday night to support his brother George who is set to make his Wigan Warriors debut.
Wigan host Warrington Wolves in the Betfred Super League opener and former duel-code international Sam shared his excitement of what will be a ‘great night’ watching the Warriors and his younger brother from the stands with family and friends.

Speaking ahead of attending Wigan Warriors Connect - a business event held at Robin Park Arena on Wednesday night, Sam said: “He (George) knows what he has to do. I don’t want to make it too emotional for him because performance is the main priority.

“He’s excited and I’ll give him a bit of support – it’s good that the family will be there in the stadium for his first game, so it will be a great day. I’ve got about 25 people coming along from Yorkshire and some good family friends too, so it should be a good night!

“I’ve been in contact with him a lot since he came here and he’s really enjoying his time here. He says the Club’s been great and he’s enjoyed the banter and the fun they’ve had together as a team.

“On the outside of that he’s saying the training has been up there with the hardest he’s done and he’s looking good, fit and in shape. I’m looking forward to seeing him put it into the game.”

Sam also gave his opinion on Round 1 opponents Warrington and revealed he expects a huge clash between the teams to kick start the new campaign.

He said: “I watched Warrington last week in a trial game and they’ve got a great squad. They’ve got some big guys there, but I’ve been watching Wigan train and I think it’s going to be a great game of rugby. Wigan and Warrington is a big game and I think there’s a bit of hatred between the two teams, so hopefully that shows on the field and we’ll see a good game.”

The 31-year-old is at Wigan’s Robin Park Arena high-performance training centre on Wednesday (today) to attend Wigan Warriors Connect - a facility opportunity for commercial and community operations, helping businesses from Wigan and wider North West community to engage on a regular basis, whilst having access to the new world-class facilities for business meetings and events.

“Rads (Executive Director Kris Radlinksi) asked me to pop down, as a lot of the Club’s corporate partners are coming in and it’s an opportunity to mingle and share my mindset on a few things. I’ll learn a bit from others too – it’s a good opportunity to meet people and Rads sees value in that, so I was happy to come down and help out if I can.

He added: “My time here has been great. I’ve been at Robin Park Arena two or three times since I’ve been back in the UK, so it’s been good. There seems to be a good energy around the place and I was in the shirt presentation with George this morning. There was a lot of energy in the room and they are all excited to play tomorrow night and I’m looking forward to getting out there and watching them.”

The Betfred Super League is finally back! Wigan Warriors host fierce rivals Warrington Wolves at the DW Stadium on Thursday (K.O. 7:45pm), as rugby league returns for 2020. There’s no love lost between these two giants of the game and WHAT a way to kick-off the new season!

We need your support as it promises to be another blockbuster encounter between two of Super League’s title chasers. Catch Steve Prescott Man of Steel Jackson Hastings and powerhouse prop George Burgess in the Cherry and White for the first time and purchase your ticket today by clicking HERE, visiting the DW Stadium Ticket Office or calling 01942 311111.

For more information on tickets for this game, click HERE.

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2020 ... -at-the-dw
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan