Wigan vs wire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Wigan vs wire

Post by Firestarter »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:40 pm
Firestarter wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:35 pm Burgess fastest man at wigan? My arse, notwith a rugby ball in his hand
He left Charnley in his wake.
i thought budgie had a start to be fair but i also though josh looked very sluggish and overweight for him
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

2 points on the board and we move on. That was the sort of game where last season we were conceding soft tries either side of the break, Wire threw the kitchen sink at us and other than the soft try they scored never really looked like scoring again. The way they play and the players they have they're always going to get line breaks but we rallied well to stop any further progress. Would like to see us a bit more clinical in attack but it's week 1, first time a lot of these players have played together so I think you have to take the win and be satisified with that.

Of the new boys. George Burgess didn't look match fit from the moment he came out to warm up and that was proved to be the case. Actually reminded me of when Hock came back from his ban. Looked to be above his natural playing weight and sluggish. That's something that can be sorted on the training ground though.
Hastings showed glimpses of what he can do, thought he defended well. Give it a few games and he'll be putting Farrell through gaps for fun (like Green and Finch used to do)
Bibby impressed with both ball in hand and in defence. A very good debut i thought.

Another who impressed me was Havard. He has clearly worked hard in the off season on his strength and conditioning and stood up well to a physical Warrington side.

Work to be done for sure, but we're up and running with points on the board.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I’d be looking to start greenwood from the left and maybe bringing on faz from the interchange.
Think greenwood is very effective when he’s fit and not getting bangs to the head.
Greenwood is big a powerful and has a good offload, he would tire defences and the you could bring on faz later on to find the gapps with his sharpness
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

On thing i noticed that really didn't help our attack was a lot of our passes were 5 yards + from Wires defensive line
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
pedro

Post by pedro »

thought Faz was poor last night, he stiffled the left hand attack in the first half not passing 1 ball, was playing very flat, he would be better off a bit deeper and running his good lines he used to run
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Agree about Faz taking the pass from Hastings flat. As often as they did it I just thought it was straight from the training ground. Not a good game from Wigan's pov but we won and that's an improvement on last season.
All this about Wire were the better team and perhaps should have won. Wigan were disrupted with Powell going off and clearly found it difficult making the extra man make the difference.
A few years ago we went to their place and were not playing well and losing. Ben Flower was then sent off and it galvanised our lads who went on to win. Wire went from being in total control to falling apart.
A 12 man v 13 can win as we proved, if Wire were that good then they would have won.
6742hitch

Post by 6742hitch »

I found it a very frustrating game really, it seemed like we’ve just continued from last season, hopefully wrong but I think Hull, Wire and Stains will be the ones to watch.

Again hopefully I’m wrong but I don’t rate these new young forwards at all/yet, they don’t seem to have that big impact for me, the direct running, aggression at the contact, running from deep to wind up the big hit, every time BMM gets the ball you fear it because he’s a strong, powerful runner, ours just don’t have it, I know people will say give it time but surely being in the first team they should already be at that stage, plus they’ve got nobody to learn from in our team.
bertina

Post by bertina »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:00 pm
medlocke wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:56 pm
Barney841 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:52 pm Is it me or does burgess look overweight?
It's not you
He makes BMM look skinny currently.
What about Clubb. ??
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Best tactical kicker on the night!!!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Warrington Wolves stand-off Blake Austin claims he was gouged

WARRINGTON Wolves stand-off Blake Austin reported a gouging incident to referee Chris Kendall during the Super League season opener against Wigan Warriors.

Austin stood by his claims after the final hooter.

“It’s one of them things. You don’t like to make reports,” said the former Canberra Raiders man.

“But when you’ve got an 120 kilo prop sort of gouging at your face it’s not something we need in our game.

See all of our match coverage and reaction

“I don’t know what’ll come of it, but I certainly wouldn’t do it to him so I wouldn’t expect it in return.”

Kendall placed an incident involving Austin and Wigan’s interchange forward Morgan Smithies on report.

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/ne ... ms-gouged/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan