Wigan vs wire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jao 711

Re: Wigan vs wire

Post by jao 711 »

There are a few posters on here that we should have released not players.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:15 pm
josie andrews wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:30 pm
Southern Softy wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:05 pm

Very true. Gold Award for whingeing. That being said, Smithies' other arm did come around into Austin's face. I thought if there was a contact it was the mouth or nose but not the eyes and it didn't seem at all definite.
He’s a whinging soft ar*e. He just doesn’t like to be tackled. Was the same earlier with a tackle from Ollie Partington! Game stopped while the trainer comes on & plays about with his head & neck. He should be playing soccer not Rugby League!
He's a very good player though, I wish he was in our team.
I don't I can't stand him.

The amount of chat to the referee to get a penalty against our players was pathetic. He was chirping away at every opportunity. No room for that in our game.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:08 pm I thought Wire players moved off the mark he’ll of a lot last night!
Austin was never square at the ruck!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Wintergreen wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:42 pm
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:15 pm
josie andrews wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:30 pm

He’s a whinging soft ar*e. He just doesn’t like to be tackled. Was the same earlier with a tackle from Ollie Partington! Game stopped while the trainer comes on & plays about with his head & neck. He should be playing soccer not Rugby League!
He's a very good player though, I wish he was in our team.
I don't I can't stand him.

The amount of chat to the referee to get a penalty against our players was pathetic. He was chirping away at every opportunity. No room for that in our game.
I didn't say I liked him, I said he was a good player. Warrington are a good team and when they get all their troops on board they will be difficult to beat.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:42 am
Barney841 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:12 am We’re are missing a top standoff and hooker.
Get them and we’ve got a hell of a team
I agree.

French has been given the no 6 shirt but it seems the injury to Gildart has led to Lam playing two players out of position. French at FB and Hardaker at centre though that did change later on in the game.

Lam presumably thinks Hankinson isn't good enough ( or maybe he's injured) but he needs to get a settled half back pairing sorted if we are to see the half backs gain an understanding and he needs to find out of French can cut it at 6. Tommy is looking past it now.

When Gildart is back I'd expect to see Hastings 7, French 6, Gildart and Bibby in the centres and Hardaker at full back. Tommy interchange hooker. But don't we have a long wait for this to be possible?

As to recruiting a top class hooker, don't hold your breath. IL and Rads aren't ruthless enough to do that.
French has number 6 as hardaker has number 1....

French is a fullback and moving him to the halves would be a mistake.
Where has this “French is a fullback” like it’s he’s been playing there all his career come from?

He wasn’t a full back in the NRL and he wasn’t in his games for us last season.
He was asked last night and he stated he likes fullback wants to stay at fullback and we will see more of what he can do when in the game.
Well we should have brought in someone else then or not bothered recruiting Bibby or retaining Hankinson if Hardaker is going to switch to centre.

We have apparently got three or four centres (if Hardaker is a centre) , and two or three fullbacks if Hardaker is a fullback (and Escare is still here along with French).

And no number 6.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Nothing will change my view that Hardaker should be at fullback,French is fast I’ll grant you that but once the season gets under way I think he will struggle at fullback.

I still can’t fathom why he was signed,well stocked on the wing and at fullback yet as Dave pointed out the side in dire need of a number 6,he’s the definition of a luxury signing and perhaps his wage would have spent elsewhere?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Mickw wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:49 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:07 am I did wonder what had gone on report,not good if it turns out to be true but whatever smithess needs to watch himself now
He doesn't need to watch himself if he didn't do it,Austin spent all night crying to the ref so until there's proof I'd take it as the boy who cried wolf.
He did something on his face that’s clear the arm coming over his head seemed to grab his nose at the very least,will it lead anywhere who knows so yes he does need to keep an eye on himself in such situations
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:46 pm Nothing will change my view that Hardaker should be at fullback,French is fast I’ll grant you that but once the season gets under way I think he will struggle at fullback.

I still can’t fathom why he was signed,well stocked on the wing and at fullback yet as Dave pointed out the side in dire need of a number 6,he’s the definition of a luxury signing and perhaps his wage would have spent elsewhere?
Without him on the field we wouldn't have scored 2 tries!

Hardly a "luxury" signing! :D
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wintergreen wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:56 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:46 pm Nothing will change my view that Hardaker should be at fullback,French is fast I’ll grant you that but once the season gets under way I think he will struggle at fullback.

Without him on the field we wouldn't have scored 2 tries!

Hardly a "luxury" signing! :D
You simply don’t know that,it’s like saying if Hill has stayed on wire would have won,we ain’t mystic meg

Truth is in his best positions,wing and fullback Wigan are very well stocked and an area that really needed more attention was in the halves,because French isn’t a half by any day of the week and I said as much last season.

So while I’m glad he’s here he the very definition of a luxury signing
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:18 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:48 am
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:52 am

Was he better or worse than Charnley?
I was too alarmed by Burgess to put him in comparison lol. That said, if your asking do I think Charnley is better that Budgie (2019 as its hard to judge on one game) the answer is yes.

Like I said before he went to the NRL the guy scored for fun and destroyed Cronulla upon his return, but he is a shadow of his former self! If its not injuries, its fitness, if not fitness what else is it? Seems like the guy is stealing a wage. To be fair, it looked like he had more pace than last season and he is good under the high ball but his ability to actually score try's and defend comfortably is questionable. Be interesting to see when Dom returns.
Why did you think that Budgie was so poor?
I dont think he is necessarily poor, I just dont think he anywhere near fulfils the potential he has and has demonstrated in previous seasons. I know its only one match into 2020 but signs of Budgie in 2019 clearly remained.