Wigan vs wire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Flash

Re: Wigan vs wire

Post by Flash »

Harry Smith played 6 today and was excellent again. Troubled the opposition every time he took the ball to the line.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Flash wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:11 am Harry Smith played 6 today and was excellent again. Troubled the opposition every time he took the ball to the line.
Must admit I do think its time he was given a go, get him to learn from Hastings while he's here?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors 16 Warrington Wolves 10: Five things we learned

Five things we learned from Wigan's 16-10 win against Warrington on Super League's opening night...

1. Super League was back with a bang - and a red card.

The RFL is trying to clamp down on contact with the head and Chris Hill left referee Chris Kendall little option but to send him off for his challenge on Sam Powell.

It was the major flashpoint of a dramatic and intense 40 minutes.

The hooker - awarded a penalty try - was stretchered off but thankfully, the injury is not thought to be serious.

2. Wigan fans will be pleased to have the two points but they won't be feeling too cocky - and Wire supporters won't be concerned.

The hosts had to shuffle the ranks when Powell went off but struggled to put away a side which went down to 11 men for a spell when Mike Cooper was sinbinned.

They bombed several scoring chances, some of their decision-making was questionable and most of Wigan's better work was provided by the sparkling Bevan French.

Warrington had a real dig, threatened to send the game to golden point and appear to have a new star on their hands in full-back Matt Ashton.

But so early in the season, it's all about getting the points on the board as they build and improve and - as Adrian Lam quipped - they're already four points better off than at this stage last year!

3. George Burgess, we were told, would need a few weeks to get back up to speed.

And Lam's words proved prophetic as the big prop fell off two tackles - including for Ben Murdoch Masila's try - in the opening 18 minutes, before being replaced. He didn't get back on after suffering a recurrence of the hip injury which prevented him playing in any friendlies. The marquee recruit had played just twice in seven months.

Jackson Hastings showed touches of quality as he beds into the side - he only arrived at the club four weeks ago - and his former Salford team-mate Jake Bibby had an all-round strong game against former Warriors favourite Anthony Gelling.

Burgess' older brothers Sam and Luke watched on, along with Adrian Morley and NFL star Kenny Stills, who plays for the Houston Texans.

4. Warrington stand-off Blake Austin accused Morgan Smithies of eye gouging. He spoke to referee Kendall and the incident was placed on report and - speaking to reporters afterwards - Austin stood by his claims.

"You don't like to make reports, but when you've got a 120 kilo prop sort of gouging at your face it's not something we need in our game," said the GB winger. "I don't know what'll come of it but I certainly wouldn't do it to him so I wouldn't expect it in return."

The match review panel will view footage on Monday and decide whether to charge any players.

5. Finally, Wigan's match day experience was dialed up a notch with the opening of the fanzone at Robin Park.

The indoor track was carpeted and had tables, patio heaters, bars and a stage, with comic moments from Andy Gregory and good music from local artist Marcus Grimshaw.

There were teething problems - and some grumbles about the £4.50 cost of a pint - but it was certainly an encouraging start.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan ... 1-10230927
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

If Blake Austin thought he was gouged by a 120 kilo prop does that make him an unreliable witness? Perhaps he was thinking about George's past indiscretions and became confused.
Superb Chops

Post by Superb Chops »

Flash wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:11 am Harry Smith played 6 today and was excellent again. Troubled the opposition every time he took the ball to the line.
We should make clear progress this season. To me, that includes moving Leuluai out of the halves using our current options.

I'd like Smith to get a spell at starting six before the alternative of Shorrocks. With good coaching French and Hardaker could switch between full- and half-back mid-game too.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Watching the TV you can clearly hear Austin reported "gouging" across his nose and asked the ref to look for scratches, of which there were none. I'm not sure that even counts as gouging at all. Just incidental contact to the face in the tackle. An attempt to even up the player numbers I'd say.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Wintergreen wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:07 pm Bevan French is a class act. Anyone who cannot see that needs to watch the game more.

He is head and shoulders above anyone else in the cherry and white at the moment (and by a long way).

Seriously I do wonder about some posters.
Spot on!

I think the issue is not how much you watch the game, but what you see, Wintergreen. :D
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:43 am
fozzieskem wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:48 pm
Mickw wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:49 pm
He doesn't need to watch himself if he didn't do it,Austin spent all night crying to the ref so until there's proof I'd take it as the boy who cried wolf.
He did something on his face that’s clear the arm coming over his head seemed to grab his nose at the very least,will it lead anywhere who knows so yes he does need to keep an eye on himself in such situations
Come on this is rugby league the tart has to toughen up. If he had played in the seventies I believe he would have been too frightened to have come out of the sheds!
But its not the 70s is it?

All im saying is what I saw..was it gouging I ask again?

Not in my book no but come Monday you just don't know do you?

And yes he is a big jessie but thats by the by ;)
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I thought “gouging” was supposed to be in the eye area? Smithies hand went across his nose & mouth!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:05 pm I thought “gouging” was supposed to be in the eye area? Smithies hand went across his nose & mouth!
Don't let the truth get in the way Josie :)
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards