Penalty Try

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
warriors01

Penalty Try

Post by warriors01 »

I thought when this was awarded you had 2 shots at goal turning it into an 8 pointer.?
DaveO

Re: Penalty Try

Post by DaveO »

warriors01 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:50 am I thought when this was awarded you had 2 shots at goal turning it into an 8 pointer.?
I said the same thing to my son at the game. Goal kick for the try scored and then a penalty kick for the foul in the act of scoring.

Obviously not but given the standard of that ref who knows!

I am sure 8 point tries used to be a thing. Maybe it's in RU or historic in RL?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

There was an 8 point try last season v Hull if my memory cells are working
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

We were awared an 8 point try last year:

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/le ... point-try/

So why not last night?
Southport steve

Post by Southport steve »

It’s only an eight point try if the try is actually scored in this case Sam knocked on but would have scored if not fouled. Therefore a penalty try but not 8 pts
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Yes you cant get a red and then concede a further two...... that would be wrong...... i think french was robbed of a try and the ref took the easy option binning there man
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Thought the second decision was about right. For a penalty try, it has to be certain that a try has been stopped. Powell would have put the ball down (if he'd been conscious) - French might have got there but it wasn't certain.
I wonder what will happen at the disciplinary for Hill (although I think we can guess). Naughty boy - nice man(not my opinion) - England stalwart - slap on wrist.
Smithies - plays for Wigan therefore...……………...
pedro

Post by pedro »

8 point trey is a penalty in the act of scoring or after scoring.....which it was
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Had this argument in the pub plenty of times. A penalty try and an eight-point try are two separate concepts. A lot of people seem to be unclear on that. An eight-point try can only be awarded when a try has been legally scored. In Powell's case, he did not ground the ball, therefore it cannot be an eight-point try.

BTW ISTR that in Union now they don't have to actually kick the conversion for a pen try, you are deemed to have kicked it and are awarded the full points (in their case 7). We might as well do the same.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I asked the question on RL fans and the collective wisdom there is you have to actually score to be awarded an 8 point try and as Powell didn’t ground the ball he didn’t score.

I always thought it was in the act of scoring but that was the consensus.

However that begs the question why weren’t we given a six point penalty try for the yellow card incident? Our player was also prevented from scoring by a foul.