Harry Smith

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bertina

Harry Smith

Post by bertina »

Went to the reserves game and this lad had a cracker.
I know the standard is much higher in super league, but I really do think he deserves a shot. I’m presuming Sam Powell will have to sit out next week, so why not give him a chance in the halves with Hastings ?. He’s a natural half and has all the attributes needed, and the only way we will find out if he is good enough for super league is put him in.
On another note, Bullock had a good game too.
Wintergreen

Re: Harry Smith

Post by Wintergreen »

Get him on the bench!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

bertina wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:04 pm Went to the reserves game and this lad had a cracker.
I know the standard is much higher in super league, but I really do think he deserves a shot. I’m presuming Sam Powell will have to sit out next week, so why not give him a chance in the halves with Hastings ?. He’s a natural half and has all the attributes needed, and the only way we will find out if he is good enough for super league is put him in.
On another note, Bullock had a good game too.
best time of year to try him too - teams are not up to speed and lets face it the games dont "need" to be won right now
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I agree he looks a great prospect
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

With Sam Powell out this week I can see Harry getting a starting spot. We could have Jake Shorrocks on the bench to cover for him and/or Tommy at hooker.
Wigan_forever1985

southportcdm wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:12 pm With Sam Powell out this week I can see Harry getting a starting spot. We could have Jake Shorrocks on the bench to cover for him and/or Tommy at hooker.
For me Shorrocks has had enough attempts and enough loan deals to prove he has a future with us and realistically he just isnt up to standard. Hes 24 i cant see him suddenly having a rapid development spurt he's on the cap and really provides not much in the way of anything
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Wigan Forever - I tend to agree with you (and hope I'm wrong) but I can't see Tommy playing a whole game at 9, he'll need a break. I think that Jake will be considered a safer bet that young Amir at this stage.
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:25 pm
southportcdm wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:12 pm With Sam Powell out this week I can see Harry getting a starting spot. We could have Jake Shorrocks on the bench to cover for him and/or Tommy at hooker.
For me Shorrocks has had enough attempts and enough loan deals to prove he has a future with us and realistically he just isnt up to standard. Hes 24 i cant see him suddenly having a rapid development spurt he's on the cap and really provides not much in the way of anything
It is a shame because at any other level he stands out as class. Unfortunately he has not had the best of luck and has not shown the consistency to make the starting line up regularly and now the new guns are arriving,
Wigan_forever1985

Levrier wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:18 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:25 pm
It is a shame because at any other level he stands out as class. Unfortunately he has not had the best of luck and has not shown the consistency to make the starting line up regularly and now the new guns are arriving,
For me his level is a yo-yo club, like a london or leigh a club thats between superleague and championship. I like the lad he seems like a decent professional but really i think he's being hampered by hanging on to the idea of playing for us when chances longterm are slim. At his age he needs to be starting every week and i just cant see him doing that at a current superleague club.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Just seen on the other site that Sam Powell may play on Friday. How's that possible now that it's an eight day rest if you fail the head test? If Sam does play (and I don't think that he should), Harry should still get a game either starting or from the bench.