21-man squad vs Castleford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

21-man squad vs Castleford

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam names 21-man squad to face Castleford Tigers in the Betfred Super League

Two changes in the 21 as Jake Shorrocks and Mitch Clark come in for Joe Bullock and George Burgess

Castleford Tigers vs Wigan Warriors, Friday 7th February, Mend-A-Hose Jungle, K.O. 7:45pm

Adrian Lam has named the Wigan Warriors 21-man squad to face Castleford Tigers in Round 2 of the Betfred Super League on Friday evening.

The Cherry & Whites take on Daryl Powell’s side at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle after both sides picked up wins in Round 1.

On the opposition, Adrian Lam said, “They are a confident side and they’ve got a new half pairing with (Danny) Richardson in there too. I’m sure they will have a certain way they’ll want to play us but we’ve just got to keep trying to improve.

“It’s their first home game so they will want to play well so we just need to play better. I’m looking forward to a second week with our group, putting some game time together and getting a result.”

Injury news
George Burgess misses out due to a hip injury. Adrian Lam commented that his fitness would be a close call on Tuesday in his preview of the game.

He said, “At the moment we’re giving him the opportunity and he’s 50/50. We had a young pack last week on the bench and with George coming off they had to step up, particularly in the second half.

“If George doesn’t play this week, we will have a look to see how we can change things, including rotation on the bench.”

Lam also discussed hooker Sam Powell, who was left unconscious after suffering a high tackle from Warrington’s Chris Hill during the first half of the season opener last week.

On Powell: “He’s got eight days as part of the protocol process so he can play if he passes the tests, and we are going to give him until the end of the week to get that right and keep in mind his welfare.”

Powell is included in the squad to face Castleford.

Oliver Gildart continues his recovery from a dislocated shoulder and Ben Flower, who is returning to match fitness, is also unavailable for selection this week.

21-man squad to face Castleford

1 Zak Hardaker

2 Liam Marshall

3 Chris Hankinson

5 Joe Burgess

6 Bevan French

7 Tommy Leuluai

8 Tony Clubb

9 Sam Powell

11 Willie Isa

12 Liam Farrell

13 Sean O’Loughlin

15 Joe Greenwood

16 Morgan Smithies

17 Ollie Partington

20 Liam Byrne

22 Mitch Clark

23 Jake Bibby

27 Jake Shorrocks

28 Harry Smith

30 Ethan Havard

31 Jackson

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2020 ... castleford
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Re: 21-man squad vs Castleford

Post by Caboosegg »

Suprised no Bullock, Cas out muscled up last year and bullocks a handfull
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Cas squad

Injury ravaged Tigers to be without Griffin, Milner, Hepi and Eden through injury.

Warriors head coach Adrian Lam makes two changes with Jake Shorrocks and mitch Clark coming in for Joe Bullock and George Burgess who misses out through a hip injury.

Hooker Sam Powell included for Wigan despite being left unconscious after a high tackle against Warrington in the opening game.

Both sides began the Super League season with victories against Toronto and Warrington respectfully and will be looking to build on that winning start against each other at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle on Friday.

Cas certainly look to be up against it given their lengthy injury list, but will be hoping the youthful enthusiasm included in their squad will make the desired effect against a Wigan team looking to avenge their 38-28 loss at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle last season.

Castleford Tigers: Jordan Rankin, Derrell Olpherts, Michael Shenton, Jake Trueman, Danny Richardson, Liam Watts, Paul McShane, Grant Millington, Oliver Holmes, Nathan Massey, Cheyse Blair, Daniel Smith, Junior Moors, James Clare, Jacques O’Neill, Lewis Peachey, Brad Graham, Robbie Storey, Brad Martin, Sam Hall, Bailey Hodgson.

Wigan Warriors: Zak Hardaker, Liam Marshall, Chris Hankinson, Joe Burgess, Bevan French, Tommy LeuLuai, Tony Clubb, Sam Powell, Willie Isa, Liam Farrell, Sean O’Loughlin, Joe Greenwood, Morgan Smithies, Ollie Partington, Liam Byrne, Mitch Clark, Jake Bibby, Jake Shorrocks, Harry Smith, Ethan Havard, Jackson Hastings.

https://www.totalrl.com/21-man-squads-n ... -vs-wigan/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Does anybody know if Joe Bullock is injured? I'm pleased to see Clarke get a game but my impression was from those who went to the preseason and reserve games that Bullock looked quite good.
bertina

Post by bertina »

southportcdm wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:20 pm Does anybody know if Joe Bullock is injured? I'm pleased to see Clarke get a game but my impression was from those who went to the preseason and reserve games that Bullock looked quite good.
He played well for the reserves last week. Don't know if he has picked up a knock since, but if he is fit I can't understand how he isn't in the 21 man squad. No disrespect to any of our youngsters, but for me at the moment he offers more than either Havard or Byrne.
pedro

Post by pedro »

If Bullocks not injured Lam must be on glue....
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

pedro wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:08 pm If Bullocks not injured Lam must be on glue....
or been kissing someone he shouldn't.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I’d like to think greenwood will be in the squad, think we need him for his size and strength. He can break the line and offload the ball which we badly miss.
Bullock is one of our best props so don’t how he doesn’t make the team.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Lam is taking a risk by leaving Bullock out. How many minutes does he expect Clubb to play? Neither Burgess nor Flower will play. I get the selection of Clark against his old club but surely Bullock should be in there.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Barney841 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:57 pm I’d like to think greenwood will be in the squad, think we need him for his size and strength. He can break the line and offload the ball which we badly miss.
Bullock is one of our best props so don’t how he doesn’t make the team.
Agreed on both points! With Burgess ruled out, I think Bullock offers more than Clubb, Flower and Havard for certain.