Cas v WIGAN

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pearsy

Re: Cas v WIGAN

Post by pearsy »

Is there any wonder the crowds are down with displays like that Wigan just haven't got the players and coach to give us the entertaning rugby we expect from our team
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:01 am
josie andrews wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:49 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:41 am Are main issue under lam as I can see it is we have no identity. All winning teams have an identity as a team - you say the team name and you know they way they will play but they stick to it and master it

Under madge our identity was fitness and control - we would blast teams in the opening 10-20 of a half then control the game

Under wane our identity was brutal defence no matter what was happening in attack you very rarely got soft defence from a wane squad

Under lam we aren’t anything - we seem massively unfit compared to the likes of wire - we don’t attack well and not is our defence anything to really sing about. Lam needs to pick a style and develop it.
What?
I started typing a different post then deleted it obviously missed this word of before I started typing again but yeah you’re right the whole post makes absolutely no sense because of one typo :roll:
😂😂 I thought it was unusual for you 😉
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Just read SOL said penaltys cost us he wants sort himself out because he has been one of the biggest culprits over last few years
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

DaveO wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:03 pm
Wintergreen wrote:
medlocke wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:46 pm

You can when Waneys the only coach they've known for the last decade, It takes a good while to break the habit of a lifetime
Rubbish. You do what the coach tells you.

Look it's game 2. Loooooooooong way to go yet.
It’s not game 2 for Lam though is it. There is no excuse to look like we don’t have a clue even two games in. Cas took the points obviously so have been better prepared than Wigan. Why?

The old it’s a marathon not a sprint is just an excuse for poor coaching and play.
No it's not game 2 for Lam, but we knew his style before this season. Why did anyone suddenly expect a change?

I was massively underwhelmed by our transfers.

On that basis it's our youth that Lam is counting on, and they need game time and experience.

I fully expect a slow start to the season and "maybe" a strong finish depending on the above.

If you don't want this and want someone to blame, then it's either Shaun Edwards, Ian Lenegan or both.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

moto748 wrote:Anyone else multitasking by watching the Hull derby whilst listening to Wigan? To be fair, the derby looks a much better contest. At least it sounds like Smith is putting a few good kicks.
He's only kicking it which is a bit of a problem. He does look pretty good at that, but too many kicks on third tackle because we can't make yards.

I think our main problem apart from the penalties is the lack of yards our forwards are making. There's no platform for the backs to do anything.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wintergreen wrote:
Wintergreen wrote: Rubbish. You do what the coach tells you.

Look it's game 2. Loooooooooong way to go yet.
It’s not game 2 for Lam though is it. There is no excuse to look like we don’t have a clue even two games in. Cas took the points obviously so have been better prepared than Wigan. Why?

The old it’s a marathon not a sprint is just an excuse for poor coaching and play.
No it's not game 2 for Lam, but we knew his style before this season. Why did anyone suddenly expect a change?

On that basis it's our youth that Lam is counting on, and they need game time and experience.

I fully expect a slow start to the season and "maybe" a strong finish depending on the above.

If you don't want this and want someone to blame, then it's either Shaun Edwards, Ian Lenegan or both.
Knew his style before the season started? What style? The team doesn’t have one.

If our transfers are poor and Lam is playing the young players as a result you can write the season off now. By the end of it they will be burnt out.

Why have we bought Clarke? Why is Greenwood not playing before at least one young forward?

Lam already has options to not play a pack of one senior prop in Clubb and the rest of the props kids and he’s not using them.

His team selection last night was ridiculous.

I am also not convinced with the French at FB, Zak at centre selection either. What is he going to do when Gildart is fit? Drop Zak so French can play his favourite position? I bet Lam is dreaded the day Gildart is fit because he’s going to have to come up with sensible selection.

I was looking forward to this season given the recruitment of Burgess and Hastings. French is also basically a new player but Lam has already taken the gloss off it by looking clueless.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

We have the gear just no idea.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

With regards to selections. I can't really hold lam to account on not selecting players like Clarke and Bullock. I don't know how how they look right now, I've not seen the reserves. I think the kids are pretty big, but because they've been brought through a system that values a quick play the ball over rolling the defensive line backwards they are not effective in making metres. Maybe they can change their style, or maybe lam hasn't changed the strategy so they are playing as instructed, I don't know. Saints took advantage of a retreating defensive line by winning and pushing back tackles, but our approach has been to find the deck quickly. I don't think that is effective at the moment. That's the main thing is like to see changed over and above the selections.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

DaveO wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:30 am
Wintergreen wrote:

Knew his style before the season started? What style? The team doesn’t have one.

If our transfers are poor and Lam is playing the young players as a result you can write the season off now. By the end of it they will be burnt out.

Why have we bought Clarke? Why is Greenwood not playing before at least one young forward?

Lam already has options to not play a pack of one senior prop in Clubb and the rest of the props kids and he’s not using them.

His team selection last night was ridiculous.

I am also not convinced with the French at FB, Zak at centre selection either. What is he going to do when Gildart is fit? Drop Zak so French can play his favourite position? I bet Lam is dreaded the day Gildart is fit because he’s going to have to come up with sensible selection.

I was looking forward to this season given the recruitment of Burgess and Hastings. French is also basically a new player but Lam has already taken the gloss off it by looking clueless.
Playing Style. Approach etc

Listen I am not here to defend Lam, far from it. I didn't think he was the right man initially and am still unconvinced.

However, I say it again, what did we expect this year? Why did we think it would be any different to last?
Superb Chops

Post by Superb Chops »

I hoped the pack would be different from last year. Last night was a continuation of 2019's tail-end collapse.

Time should be mostly up for starters Clubb, Isa and O'Loughlin. Leuluai and the youngsters can be spelled more.

We have options, even with current injuries, but appear to be repeating things that don't work. That's poor management.