Actual squad v Toronto

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jackthelad

Re: Actual squad v Toronto

Post by jackthelad »

Apart from the right / wrong selection of our forwards, then who should be 6 7 & 9

I'm not sure if Zak is better at centre or FB he made FB his own last season, is it too early in the season for Lam to change the plan?

Why Hankinson isn't starting only Lam knows?

I still feel Zak should be FB and try the electric pace of French in the halfs

Watching the Cas game our left edge defence was poor to let in 2 soft tries!!

Let's see if Lam is ready to make the necessary changes
moto748

Post by moto748 »

jackthelad wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:04 am

Well,to be fair, some of that poor defence was down to young Smith. Whether Lam thinks that sacrificing him is one of the necessary changes remains to be seen; I hope not, Smith did well with ball in hand in a difficult game behind a beaten pack. It would be nice to think that he could be rewarded with another shot behind a stronger pack.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

jackthelad wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:04 am Apart from the right / wrong selection of our forwards, then who should be 6 7 & 9

I'm not sure if Zak is better at centre or FB he made FB his own last season, is it too early in the season for Lam to change the plan?

Why Zak Hardaker can be a better centre than full-back for Wigan Warriors'

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/why-za ... 1-10243076
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:48 am
jackthelad wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:04 am Apart from the right / wrong selection of our forwards, then who should be 6 7 & 9

Why Zak Hardaker can be a better centre than full-back for Wigan Warriors'

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/why-za ... 1-10243076
For me Lam is trying to convinced us that Zak is a centre when he simply isn’t,he can play there but not at the level he can while at fullback
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

French has said that he prefers to play at full-back as a more free role. I think the club should find a way of using his pace - we're not really seeing it so far. I don't see why he couldn't make breaks from right centre just as well. Hardaker seems to have more vision at full-back.
The way we play again this year, the right flank is the place to be. It always seems to be the preferred option. Poor old Jake Bibby must be wondering why he bothered to sign.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Guessing what Lam's reasoning is re French, I'd say that he could intend playing him in the halves at some point (hence the 6 on his back).

But to start a season with 2 new players at 6 and 7 is asking for disruption. So maybe "let Hastings settle in first, get the team playing and establish a safe league position before moving French to 6" is Lam's thinking?

If so, it would make sense to me.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:08 pm But to start a season with 2 new players at 6 and 7 is asking for disruption. So maybe "let Hastings settle in first, get the team playing and establish a safe league position before moving French to 6" is Lam's thinking?

If so, it would make sense to me.
Doesn't make sense to me!

What you are saying is attempt to see if Tommy and Hastings form a good combo an if not then swap them over for French and Hastings. Either way it is a season of "disruption" in the halves because the coach doesn't know his best team. That is asking for disruption if you ask me

At their ages. Lam should have Lockers, Clubb and Tommy playing in the reserves and helping guide and give experience at that level to those players. Injuries hit - then play them in the first team. Not expect them to be first choice players and attempt to play to a structure that allows them their 15 minutes or so of action per half (if we are lucky)

Jesus we even have have Lockers talking in the media about a "swansong" for England now Wane is back. Doesn't deserve a shirt on performances for Wigan over the last 12 months
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

Southern Softy wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:55 am French has said that he prefers to play at full-back as a more free role. I think the club should find a way of using his pace - we're not really seeing it so far. I don't see why he couldn't make breaks from right centre just as well. Hardaker seems to have more vision at full-back.
The way we play again this year, the right flank is the place to be. It always seems to be the preferred option. Poor old Jake Bibby must be wondering why he bothered to sign.
Poor jake bibby you cant be serious? what about Hankinson he is the one who is being left out in favour of bibby cos of his marquee mate calling the shots and Lam is also pampering to French to let him play FB when it should be Zak

So the right centre for me should be Hankinson. Lam will need to find a position for Frenchy, alot are suggesting he would be explosive in the halves?

What I can say, is on the evidence of the past few games this NEW flair and exciting brand of open rugby has NOT been on display

This is Lam's team now and hes had a full preseason so where is the excitement promised by Lam?
pedro

Post by pedro »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:38 pm I very rarely saw any first team players really play well in the reserves over the years. Usually they go through the motions in order to prove fitness. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Always the nobby nobodies really putting the effort in that impressed but never got a sniff of first team.
bullock was great in every game hes played this year, heard hes late for training and being punished but deal with it or play him. Dropping him makes no difference as hes still getting paid
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Not sure what happens in training but looking at pre season and Widnes reserve game.
Bullock should be in the team. The late thing seems to be based on some of the team having a laugh and posting a video/photo I'm pretty sure if he had been disciplined for that they would not be posting it on social media? Last season he was travelling from Blackpool so maybe some of it comes from that but hes in Wigan now.
Clarke showed more in the Leigh game than Clubb has for some time plenty minutes decent yards and busy D.
I also think Havard and Kilner have done more.
Powel is under rated in my opinion ... our run into the playoffs ended with his wrist injury. For me he is a massive plus as an 80 minute hooker with good middle D who improved last season with ball in hand.
So our spine has no game time and they are playing behind a pack half a prop short relying on young lads.
It won't matter what backs you put out playing behind no go forward.
Bullock and Byrne was both very good pre season and both are naturally big.
Along with Burgess when fit and if we can get Greenwood on form it gives us some real natural size.
Powell at 9 for 80 allows us an extra forward on the bench.
Bullock Powell Partington Lockers.
Clarke Powell Byrne Smithies .
When fit and if on form you have Flower Powell Burgess Lockers.

I would go Toronto...Bullock Tommy partington Lockers.
Clarke Bourough Byrne Smithies.
I would have Havard before Clubb he offers more.
The props/ middles should be chomping at the bit so much competition.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!